Bee Gees' Reissues On the Way!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skyblue17, Mar 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m doing an A/B right now with MC, the new one vs my Canadian original. Resolution and detail, improved. Clarity and definition present.

Problem?...no oomph. I’m noticing a 5-10 dB drop from old to new. Consistently, track to track.

You are spot on, Jrr...they had a chance to raise the levels, and make the bass more impactful. They didn’t. I’m not completely disappointed; it’s a better record now...maybe. But what could have been! Well, hopefully there’s a Mofi future...you never know!

I’ve got Children of the World and Spirits...to audition and compare as well.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Dignan2000, Vinyldood, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  2. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

I need a new clean Odessa, wish that was in this lineup. Might go in for Best of the Bee Gees and Lovin’ Spoonful. Will these be CD’s as well?

Vinyldood and Man at C&A like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There's an excellent Odessa on Rhino.

Just get that.

Vinyldood and JeffMo like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

COTW certainly has more punch than MC, and gives a fine listening experience. I do believe I see what you mean by the trumpets, but have you ever heard a Canadian original pressing? I’m toggling between the reissue and this, and I’m finding little difference. Might just have me a Hot Stamper COTW! :)

I’m satisfied with the last tracks on the reissues so far; the mastering has reduced any IGD, markedly. Big plus there.

Still, overall, COTW needs a few more dBs, too. But perhaps a fine balancing act between bass loudness and top end resolution was a tricky proposition.

Jrr, landerstnkb and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Link to a new copy that's affordable, please!

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Looking at Discogs, copies have sold in sealed condition for $35-50 in the recent past. A new reissue probably wouldn't be much cheaper. So just keep your eyes open:

Discogs Login

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

SHF is smooth, and I think that top end extension is fine. But my original kicks it in the bass pants. Once again, as with MC and COTW, not enough was done to improve the low end. Boy oh boy, if you’re going back to the master tapes, do them right. I mean, Inside and Out is far too timid...it needs more kick in the bridge! And Tragedy borders on tragedy...it needs to explode, not pop.

I’m getting more crotchety as I listen to this third lp. It’s not like I can return these, since there’s nothing wrong with these records. It’s just that they’re not what they could have been, by a long shot.

I have greatly benefited from other reissue “first responders” on the forum. They’ve kept me from some real letdowns. Now it’s my turn...if you’ve got nice originals of MC, COTW and SHF, and they’re punchy enough, then don’t bother with the reissues. They might be a tad better, but they’re not good enough.

Oh yeah...all these reissues are heavier vinyl than all of my originals, and none of these new ones sits flat on my turntable. What’s going on out there?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    JeffMo and landerstnkb like this.
  8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

All the sealed copies there NOW go for $70 to $80. A new reissue should be HALF that.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think you are hearing COTW exactly right. The reissue is identical to my vintage Japanese audiophile copy, meaning excellent. It is just mastered a bit lower but I didn’t see it as any issue, not like MC, and it’s certainly miles away better than any US copy!

Chemguy likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Mine are all flat, just lucky I guess. Yes, the bass is better on a good ‘79 copy but I’m not sure most would notice if they couldn’t compare but you’re right, why not just do it right? I think the master has lost some top and bottom end due to age. Not sure anyone needs this but the others are decent imo.

Chemguy likes this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Be patient...

chuckgay likes this.
  12. chuckgay

chuckgay Forum Resident

I bought mine last year for $34. Hang in there. You'll be most pleasantly rewarded. I think it sounds fantastic.

13. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Now if we could only get "A Kick In The Head" as an RSD LP or something...

Yes, I know, Barry would stop that.

siveld and granata like this.
  14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Got my 4th copy (4th copy!!) of Spirits Having Flown today from Amazon UK and it also has small chips in it on side 1. So far, 3 all had chipped vinyl and the only 1 that didn’t had non-fill on Until. So disappointing. Will give up on this now and try in a few months when hopefully they’ll have new, undamaged stock.

15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Were these damaged copies colored vinyl?
    Also, is the colored vinyl the same quality as the black vinyl? (specifically Live at Last and Main Course)

THANKS!

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

They were all black vinyl. Children of the World and Main Course are perfect though.

17. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident

Not thrilled with the remaster of Best Of.
    Have played this album my entire life and was so excited that it was “remastered from the original tapes.”
    Huh?
    As someone else said, this edition has no umph, no dynamics. At times it sounds like there is a veil over my speakers and I’ve got an amazing system.
    Yes, it had a major cleaning.
    Anyone else hearing what I’m hearing?
    Can’t believe this whole iconic series wasn’t given to Bellman or Grundman who would have gotten it right.
    Or, of course our host.

18. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Do you have the colored vinyl cop of Best of?
    I'm specificity interested in the color vinyl LPs of Main Course and Here at Last... Live.
    Those who have these, how is the sound?

Thanks again!

19. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Are these pressed at Record Industry, NL? I’m very interested in all of them.

20. neilspeed

neilspeed Forum Resident

Yes, The Best of the Bee Gees was the one I was most interested in also and it was disappointing. Very thin and veiled sounding. Further, mine has an indentation it the middle track on side two so I have to return it to amazon. I received Main Course today and will listen to tomorrow and report back.

21. Vinyldood

Vinyldood Active Member

No CD's for this reissue campaign, just vinyl. As for Odessa, it is not part of the new reissue program. But chances are that you may still be able to get ahold of Rhino's 40th Anniversary 180g reissue from 2009. I have that, and it sounds absolutely fantastic, too. It even sports a reproduction of the original flocked red velvet cover, too!

Kristofa likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I will be back in town Monday. I have both the reg and colored Main Course and will compare. Colored can be a bit noisier so if it is mastered too low, like the black (very likely the exact same master) it isn’t going to make anyone around here happy!

joelee likes this.
  23. neilspeed

neilspeed Forum Resident

I listened to Main Course tonight and was really not impressed. In a similar fashion, though not as bad, to the Best of the Bee Gees, it did sound a bit thin, lifeless and dull. I do not have other original pressings of these two albums so maybe they are probably better than the originals and may rightfully be getting some favorable reviews. Immediately after listening to Main Course, I played the Japanese pressing of Living Eyes just to ensure something was not off in my system. The Japanese pressing was so much better in terms of dynamics, tone, air, soundstage, solidity and spatiality. I guess I had my hopes up and was hoping for something along the line of the Police boxset released last year.:cry:

Jrr and joelee like this.
  24. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

I’m actually wondering if there’s sonically much of a difference between the US & European (Dutch) pressings.... mine is one of the latter and I actually thought it was rather good - compared with the two older pressings I have already...

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Just cracked open my clear copy of MC. As suspected, exact same master used, which is to say well done except for the significant low volume level it was mastered at, as others have noticed. Would be right up there with my Japanese import (forgot to mention that copy up thread) and my 1A US press (both superb) had they not mastered both reissues quite a bit lower in volume, thus needlessly bringing the vinyl noise level up significantly. So, for me the MC comes in third behind two hard to acquire copies.

Still, I think the vast majority will see this as a significantly upgrade from 95% of what’s out there. And, it is clear to my ears THE master tape was used so that trumps a bit of annoying vinyl noise, though this easily should have been caught when tested as much care was obviously put into this project. And even if you find a promo or early press, the next challenge will be getting a quiet copy. I know a couple have had some noisy press issues but for me, I have 1-2 copies of these reissues (I bought back ups too) and all of them are flat and quiet. Yes, one guy mentioned his MC was dirty. I noticed that today too on my black copy, so I’ll put it on my Nitty Gritty but it still played quiet. Most here are seeing the same, so by all means exchange any bad copies because it appears most are playing very well.

Vinyldood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.