Bee Gees' Reissues On the Way!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skyblue17, Mar 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

This is just my take on it but the feeling I get after almost 4 years (well 3 1/2 anyway) into the Capitol deal is that they'll focus more on digital than physical as has been the m.o. since day one. This is taking advantage of the vinyl resurgence and they are going with the safe bets with the titles they've chosen.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anton Corbijn did a nice job on that album artwork. I've enjoyed most of his work with U2, Bunnymen, and Depeche Mode over the years too.

I think Still Waters would need to be a 2LP though for SQ reasons.

siveld, vonwegen and skyblue17 like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting. I don't think the US had a Vol 3 release. I will have to check Joe Brennan's great website and see what tracks were on it.

Nice to see Vol 1 has the original running order restored with "Spicks and Specks"!

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. ferdinandhudson

Mainland Europe had a different vol. 2 issued in 1971 before the UK one in 1973 (the UK one only differing slightly from the US release) and some countries issued the UK Vol. 2 as Vol. 3 and some combined the two of them as a 2 LP set. Not sure how Australia and New Zealand did theirs as Festival may have run a completely different tactic.

Brennan tends to focus on US and UK releases post-66 unless there's marked differences.

Jarleboy and JeffMo like this.
  5. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Main Course and probably the Best Of for me. Amazon doesn't say anything about colored vinyl yet. Are these exclusive to the Bee Gees web site?

Nevermind. I checked. Black for me. A whole lot cheaper.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    tug_of_war and vonwegen like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Fascinating, and it reminds me of that old thread on here about which country are Bee Gees from? They have had several distinct careers in different parts of the globe!

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Bobby, were you able to finally track down Living Eyes on cd? I seem to recall you hunting for that rarity.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

In an ideal world, we´d get these on SACD or BDA as well. I especially want to lay my hands of perfect sounding copies of "MAIN COURSE" and "SPIRITS HAVING FLOWN", my favourites of their later years. "LIVING EYES" wouldn´tn hurt, either.

granata, art, JeffMo and 1 other person like this.
  9. ferdinandhudson

Yeah, if we're not getting expanded sets with outtakes and such then at least give us a high def option. I'd even settle for high def downloads if physical isn't an option (I'd back them up like crazy though, just in case).

granata, vonwegen and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Not me. I’ve had it since 1991. Also have the Japanese MLPS version from a few years back too.

Jarleboy and JeffMo like this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Vol 2 is excellent and covers a lot of worthy misses. But what's Vol 3?

12. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident

"Remastered" from what? The master tapes or from a digital source? And by who? The fact that none of that is mentioned makes me suspect the worst.

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. ferdinandhudson

Per the description at Amazon.co.uk: "Remastered from the original analog LP master tapes at the iconic Capitol Studios by Kevin Bartley and Ian Sefchick."

Porkpie, granata, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  14. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident

That's great news. Thanks for the info!

15. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Off-topic, but after years of putting up with a very starchy sounding German pressing of Main Course, I recently scored a NM original US pressing. What a difference! What a great sounding record!

JeffMo likes this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'll say Bee Gees Greatest covers that.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. ferdinandhudson

18. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Same with me. :righton:

skyblue17 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just went to Amazon US though and there's no way to pre-order the colored vinyl, just the black. The Bee Gees official site does not mention these at all yet. Hmmm.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Keep on the hunt!
    They'll come and go before your very eyes if your after anything particular.
    Don't give up.
    Otherwise, you'll be paying double on eBay.
    :agree:

skyblue17 likes this.
  21. skyblue17

Ah ha, this is the place: Bee Gees – uDiscover Music

Amazon also doesn't offer Here at Last... at all, just the other four albums. I wonder why that is? Luckily this link above does include all five reissues.

22. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident

Here At Last...was the first album I ever bought.
    Feeling a bit old seeing that released as a vintage

granata and JeffMo like this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah....
    Some of these 'bigger' sites sometimes don't have a clue what's going on either....
    I don't know the exact answer, but sometimes you gotta go down the line to a reputable dealer in Vinyl.
    Sometimes it's the dreaded eBay these days....
    :sigh:
    Be wary of these so called big internet sites, you can order, and before you know it, they'll be back saying 'out of stock'.
    You'll be refunded but....
    Just a caution.

skyblue17 likes this.
  24. skyblue17

Yeah, I am not familiar with this site but it was linked via one of the press releases about the reissues, so I guess I'm optimistic that it's legit. I might take my chance here since it's still relatively early.

I am not that familiar with special ordering vinyl, is that something I could request from a local record store, even if it's not something they would carry for their customers?

The last limited edition vinyl I ordered was over-sold but I eventually got it two months later, which is better than nothing!

25. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

They look great but I get nostalgic for the original RSO labels for the mid 70s catalog.

Same for all of the MCA and other imprints that have been re-assigned to the Geffen leabel.

JeffMo and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.