Bee Gees sign back catalog deal with Capitol !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boxy, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I'd like to see Cucumber Castle reissued - CD and DVD - and Barry and Maurice's solo albums.

For the first four albums I can't believe Andrew Sandoval left much in the can. Maybe there are good live shows that haven't been released?

2. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I'm really hoping for expanded editions of "Mr Natural" through "Living Eyes".

andy75, John Adam, Hep Alien and 9 others like this.
  3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

You should immediately start looking for Japanese pressings: they have superior mastering! They make the U.S. RSO pressings sound flat. The Japanese pressings sound clearer and have better bass response. You can pick them up for not too much if you look for Japanese vendors. Someone here alerted me to this and they were 100% correct.

McLover likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

We were all so happy when Rhino bought them the last time, and look how that turned out.:D

Hoping for deluxes from Mr Natural through to Living Eyes at the very least.

Also, new remasters of Robin and Barry's 80s solo albums are long overdue. They aren't even in print anymore...

And any extra Andy stuff would be great. If there is any..

John Adam, Hep Alien and kyletx500 like this.
  5. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Trafalgar. With proper inside gatefold sleeve art restored, not erasing Hugh Gibb out!

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Keep in mind the estates of Robin and Maurice each have a 1/3 ownership stake in the Bee Gees catalog. Even if Barry had wanted the Bee Gees catalog to be licensed to Sony it wouldn't be his decision to make on his own.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Buoys: Timothy. Another mining disaster, at least equally grim outcome.

Chad75 likes this.
  9. Boxy

Boxy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Outtakes-wise, Andrew Sandoval included as much as Barry and Robin allowed him to, Sandoval said as much IIRC...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Boxy

Hugh Gibb wasn't erased on the Original UK Polydor LP... Seems to have been an ATCO release decision...

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You are the second person on SHF to recommend this. @Jrr

The first four albums were done well by Rhino thanks to Andrew Sandoval, and the mastering was tastefully done (Inglot?). @c-eling would even approve! :D

I would like DEs of all 70s albums with the infamous "A Kick In The Head..." attached to "Life In A Tin Can".

12. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I really wish Andrew Sandoval would continue the excellent reissue series he began on Warner. Only four albums were covered: 1st, Horizontal, Horizon and Odessa. Unfortunately, what usually happens when an artist's back catalog moves to another label is that previous series are ignored and everything starts from square one.

McLover, Hep Alien and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Shame though - the amount of unreleased solo and duo material in 1970 alone would make a 4cd version of "Two Years On", without repeating any tracks from the Robin's Reign box.

Hep Alien and peachyg72 like this.
  14. Boxy

Agreed - fans have had cassette copies of this stuff doing the rounds for going on two decades.. Apparently, stuff like Like "I Can Laugh" which is "2 Years On" with alternate Lyrics... "Distant Relationship", which is "Sincere Relation" with alternate lyrics... the Promo film / TV appearnaces alternate mix of "Lonely Days".... we could go on and on...

Hep Alien and JeffMo like this.
  15. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

I'm mostly hoping for reissues of the 90's/00's albums that were never released on vinyl in the US (High Civilization, Size Isn't Everything, Still Waters, This Is Where I Came In). I would love to be able to spin those on my turntable.

Hep Alien, Jrr and pghmusiclover like this.
  16. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Well, I'm just hoping that Universal/Capitol doesn't screw up the sound quality on anything new they release or even reissue from Rhino...I don't know who they have over there remastering, but some of their releases fail the SQ test. I must say that Rhino did an unbelievable stellar job remastering the Bee Gees catalog though, so it's too bad they didn't finish the job.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

I hope this includes solo albums. I have all the Japanese mini LP's already. The only album that could use a remaster is 2 Years On.

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Preston likes this.
  19. Chris C

Sadly with Maurice and Robin now gone, I often forget that their families are naturally still involved and you are correct!

fsutall likes this.
  20. Chris C

Thank you, Rupert Holmes!

pablo fanques likes this.
  21. Chris C

I'm not sure just how I got on "Capitol Records" e-mail list, but I've been receiving some of their latest e-mails and the first thing that pops up when I open them, is this GOD-AWFUL bright blue gigantic '70's Capitol "C" and it always instantly takes me back to that time, when they used that logo and the later, equally crappy looking orange colored logo, with "capitol" written out along the bottom. When you have one of the most iconic logo's of all time (The original script one) and add the colorful rainbow around the outer ridge, you have what I always thought of with Capitol and this is "class". Add that ugly "C" logo and I think of Helen Reddy and The Pipkins, but I digress!

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Totally agree. I associate the classic Capitol logo with Sinatra, Peggy Lee & Nat 'King' Cole which are very classy looking records. Beautifully recorded too. Then there's Gene Vincent, Beach Boys & US Beatles etc. Why on earth would they want to completely remove a visual identity that is associated with such timeless music?

23. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Anyone any idea when the re releases will start to come out. Sure they will throw out a best of to test the water,and some shm cds in Japan .

24. downer

downer Senior Member

I think the first release is scheduled for immediately after 'Flowers In The Dirt'...

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Main Course would be a great place to start. People have been after a decent CD edition of that for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.