Bee Gees sign back catalog deal with Capitol !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boxy, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I agree -- maybe they can work chronologically backwards from newest to oldest!

kyletx500 and Boxy like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Cool... Maybe we should start a thread about it now, then.

Boxy likes this.
  3. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Just sent Andrew a private Facebook inquiry....will circle back if/when he responds.

Hep Alien and Boxy like this.
  4. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I'd love to get a greatest hits CD.

Boxy likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

It would be great if they could release a greatest hits CD, and include some modern-day EDM remixes, don't you think?

Boxy and Joseph.McClure like this.
  6. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I suspect that more wasn't done by Rhino due to sales not reaching expectations , sadly

Jarleboy and Boxy like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

Well Warner Bros also did release the the following two box sets (CD only):

1974-1979 (including "Mr. Natural", "Main Course", "Children Of The World", and "Spirits Having Flown").

[​IMG]

The Warner Bros. Years 1987-1991 ("E•S•P", "One", "High Civilization" and "One For All Concert"):

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Boxy and rstamberg like this.
  8. Boxy

Boxy Forum Resident Thread Starter

The decisions Warners made were in places bizarre...

The reissue campaign seemed to lack clear concise direction, as if Warners did not understand the product...

9. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I'd welcome another Greatest Hits as long as it does not have "Islands In The Stream" with the "Ghetto Superstar" verses. That made me cringe.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Might be a good time to pick up the repackaged version of Mythology which can be had very cheaply ($14 and change on Amazon shipped right now). I don't like the way they separated up the material, but it's a generous survey and may not survive to Capitol distribution.

PH416156 and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Say what you will about these compilations, you have to give credit to Warners' art department. This is some of the most beautiful and iconic artwork to grace a release in a very very long time. I can only imagine what it cost them to typeset that classic Bee Gees logo from the '70s.

12. granata

granata Forum Resident

Didn't the superb Bee Gees 1967-68 LP sell out fairly quickly?

I've long hoped for a 'Wilderness Years' set (or sets) comprising:
    - Cucumber Castle
    - 2 Years On
    - Trafalgar
    - To Whom It May Concern
    - Life In A Tin Can
    - A Kick In The Head...
    + singles, B-sides & bonus tracks for each.

The solo albums The Kids No Good, The Loner, Saved By The Bell and Swing Slowly Sisters would make a fine set too.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  13. Boxy

Boxy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've just checked my LP collection, I was wrong, Atco LP featured Hugh Gibb on the inner gatefold photo, the UK Polydor had him "removed"

Dan

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Reprise missed on CD versions of the "Rare,Precious & Beautiful" Volumes,as well as Re-Issuing the same Damned Milktoast Polydor versions of the "Best Of Bee Gees" albums which they'd messed up,BIG TIME on! No "Spicks & Specks",instead,we gotten "Tomorrow,Tomorrow"once again,AGAIN IN MONO? WTF! And on Volume 2,again,no "Wouldn't I Be Someone" and the other tracks Scrambled,just like the Polydor CD Nightmare/Horror? Absolutely uncalled for! Issue them right,or not at all!

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm sure if Rhino/Warners thought they would sell, they would have released these albums. I personally wish they had been reissued, but there must have been a reason

Jarleboy and Simon A like this.
  16. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I actually hope that they don't touch the first 4 albums at all. As others have said, the deluxe reissues were done very, very well. Just re-release those. Re-doing them and adding a couple of tracks would be insulting to fans.

Absolutely, do the post-Odessa catalog the same way - deluxe reissues.

Cancel all the comps out there and do a single & double CD comp.

McLover, Hep Alien, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Same sentimemts from me as well. I have a feeling every time they leave a label for a new one, the new one puts a couple things out and they just don't sell. They don't want to put out another 20 catalogue titles just to lose even more. Maybe UMG can put out a few that haven't been properly redone and then Barry can move to another label. Keep doing that enough times and we will eventually see it all released at some point!

In all seriousness, I would love to see their catalogue reissued as much as any big fan, and I would definitely buy it all fresh on vinyl again, but I just don't see many of their albums selling more than a few hundred copies. I think compilations are all that sell, and we've been treated to many of those already. Seems to be hints of some unreleased tracks according to the press release. That would be interesting to me!

rstamberg, Boxy and granata like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Was probably me, but either way, you are so right. And extra goodies like nice lyric sheets. Which makes you feel like an idiot when you find out how ridiculously off you were when guessing at their often hard to understand lyrics! I will be a sucker and rebuy any new vinyl issues, but I just don't see them beating the Japanese pressings.

Jarleboy and Preston like this.
  19. granata

granata Forum Resident

The Gibbs would often dismiss this run of terrific pre-R&B/disco/falsetto albums. A combination of indifference from the group and a seemingly clueless label led to a very odd reisssue csmpaign.

With the 2006 deal expiring plus Barry's recent rejuvenation, it looks like they might be reissued after all. A standard reissue CD box was all I'd realistically hope for, but maybe we'll see them treated with the reverence they deserve.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You can get Size and Civilization as an import. A lot is crammed on those two sides of vinyl, but they still beat digital and sounded better than I expected. I think Size runs around 30 minutes per side...yikes. You can probably get them off of ebay, but hopefully we will now see a domestic release properly spread out to four sides. I would just love to get Still Waters on vinyl! A top three album for me easily, and I'm sure it would sound much better.

kyletx500 likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Can't believe all the work they put into those covers! They must have invested at least five minutes lovingly putting those together.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It was a very nice package before. I hope it sold okay.

23. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

Yeah, I recently found out those two were released on vinyl overseas. The problem for me is that High Civilization seems to go around $20-30 and Size is even more ($40-50+). At that point you're pretty much paying new vinyl prices for used vinyl.

I think I'm gonna wait it out and see what happens as I would much rather get some new 180g copies for $25-30 (or maybe more if they split them to two lp's and space the grooves out more). Although as others have said before, things looked promising with Reprise and look at how little they did... I'm still hopeful though.

Jrr and Boxy like this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And we have to remember, those albums didn't sell well in the US when they were new either. Only Still Waters did reasonably well. There was just very little interest during the WB years. I was the only one I knew that was still buying their albums.

granata likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Your a lot smarter than me. I think I did pay those prices...and I'll likely buy them again! What's wrong with us....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.