Bee Gees sign back catalog deal with Capitol !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boxy, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

For what?

2. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

It's possible. And I find it rather annoying, really. Here in Brazil I know quite a few people who describe themselves as "huge Bee Gees fans" but have only heard compilations, the "One Night Only" CD/DVD and a few of their last albums, like "Still Waters" and "This is Where I Came In".

3. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

If they go the repackaging/boxed set route, I think they should simply reconfigure "Tales From The Brothers Gibb" so that it encompasses their entire career. There's no way anyone is going to improve on that set's concept, track list and mastering; its only flaw is that it's now incomplete because it was assembled and released in 1990.

There are probably only another 9 or 10 songs that they'd have to find room for, and they could easily do that without adding a fifth disc. (As it stands now, Disc One has 25 songs, but Discs Two, Three and Four have 17, 16 and 13 songs respectively, so there's lots of room for additional tracks.) Have Dennis Drake do the mastering on the added tracks, and you'd have the definitive collection.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. kyletx500

kyletx500 Forum Resident

Personally, I really hope they don't go that route. How many compilation CD's do we really need? "Tales From The Brothers Gibb", "Their Greatest Hits: The Record", "The Ultimate Bee Gees", and "Mythology" have all been released, and they all share many of the same tracks. I think "Tales" is probably the best one of the bunch as it is the most diverse and expansive, but I feel its all been done over and over again.

Like I've stated earlier, I think it would be really great if they did vinyl reissues of the albums that were not widely released on vinyl, from High Civilization onward. I am sure that there are a lot of Bee Gees fans (like me) who enjoy vinyl and have most of their catalogue on vinyl that would really enjoy being able to listen to their 90s-00s output on vinyl.

I also really like the idea of picking up where Rhino/Warner left off after Odessa and make deluxe versions of all their albums, though the likelihood of this happening is probably pretty close to zero. If they can't for every album, maybe they could justify it for some of the more popular albums (Main Course through Spirits Having Flown?).

Just judging from this audio of the writing sessions for "How Deep is Your Love", I'm sure there are some great outtakes/demos during those years that are just waiting to be uncovered.

Hep Alien and greelywinger like this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Enough with the very lazy compilations. The fans have them already. I would pay decent money for nice vinyl editions of the albums you mentioned, especially from Mr. Natural onward.

Joti Cover and kyletx500 like this.
  6. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I can see where some people might be disappointed by this set but I loved it myself. The only Bee Gees albums I had Greatest and Spirits Having Flown. The 1974-79 was a great way for me to fill out some holes in my collection.

Jrr likes this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I terribly miss Barry, Robin and Maurice's harmonies!

Start this around 25 seconds ...

8. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

The Bee Gees IMO would make a great choice for a 5.1 mix.

fredblue, Chris C and Blue Cactus like this.
  9. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

For Andrew Sandoval to be involved in future Bee Gees reissue campaigns. Go back and read a couple of earlier pages of this thread.

Jrr likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I never thought we would see those released again so it was a nice gesture, especially the WB sets, and they were cheap, so I think you have to be realistic. I already, of course, had them but for other newer fans, that must have been a treat.

pablo fanques likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thanks....

12. Boxy

Boxy Forum Resident Thread Starter

We don't know if the solo material is included in the new deal... The solo material was *not* originally included in the Rhino deal, and was added on after the initial deal.

Hep Alien, granata, Jrr and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I'm as big a fan as anyone but I think there is about zero chance anyone is going to buy any of that solo stuff. Some of it is truly dreadful and at best hasn't aged well at all. At least in the US, not a single solo album sold even moderately. I'm sure Barry's Now Voyager sold a few thousand copies since he was on a major label and his name was out there after the huge success in the late 70's of the Bee Gees, but it was regarded as a huge stiff (MCA was Barry's label, and they were struggling with most of their 70's legacy artists as Olivia and Elton John also had non selling albums at the same time as Barry's) so I just see no chance of any of the solo material coming out. Barry's new solo album, which I think is quite good overall, fell off the Billboard chart very quickly. The OCD fans like me already have everything, and for those new to the Gibb collecting game, they can get some of it as downloads, and all of it can be had (albiet for a price) on line. Their catalogue doesn't even sell well enough for a label to have any real interest in releasing it, hence, most of it has been out of print for a long, long time. And then they will issue one title, like Main Course (arguably their best album) and then nothing else. If it had sold, we would have seen other titles come out. I'm really curious as to why a major took on the catalogue. I suspect we may see a major vinyl re release campaign, perhaps that's why. Though nothing in vinyl is selling in huge quantity (the big hits are stalling out at around 30,000 to 50,000 copies) it is clear to me the labels are making plenty of money or they wouldn't continue issuing back catalogue on vinyl. So, I'm excited at seeing some remastered vinyl releases if that's what is up their sleeves. It would be more of a curiosity factor as I have all my favorites as Japanese vinyl imports and I don't see it getting better, but I'm in anyway if they do so. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a vinyl box set. I just hope they do it by decade/period as I'm not as big a fan of their 60's material, though I see why many are.

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man, how DOES this stuff get out there? I mean, obviously they just had a tape player running so that's probably the only copy. Well, unless it was played in court when they were being sued for plageurizing (spelling?) that song. Thanks for posting it!

kyletx500 likes this.
  15. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

I am wondering if it is to market their material in TV commercials/movie soundtracks and the like.

16. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

In this case I think it is likely Barry was having it recorded as it is reported he liked doing demos while the twins didn`t.

As an afterthought it is also a good chance Blue was in the habit of doing this as he worked on songs with them,case in point the slow bridge to Stayin' Alive.

Jrr likes this.
  17. granata

granata Forum Resident

The superb 1967-68 LP boxset sold out quite quickly IIRC. It's like rocking horse teeth these days.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have it too and agree it's simply a beautiful set. If it sold out I don't know why they stopped the reissue program.

granata likes this.
  19. Boxy

Boxy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I personally agree, that 67/68 Vinyl / CD box set was superb... One of the few instances where the re-issue was hands-down better than the original 1960's pressings !

I have two copies of the vinyl box for posterity ;-)

granata and Hep Alien like this.
  20. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

I noticed that since the Capitol move the deluxe versions of the first 3 albums and Odessa have been removed and replaced by the original versions. Also, the last few boxed releases are gone. Tales From The Brothers Gibb box has been added. In addition Andy's albums have all been removed.

granata likes this.
  21. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

From Spotify

22. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Added and removed from ... what exactly? iTunes or Amazon listings of the current catalog?

23. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Same in ITunes store

24. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Yup looks like all the deluxe editions have been removed from iTunes, Spotify and Amazon digital.

25. granata

granata Forum Resident

That's just greedy. Although I have the Odessa LP in pretty much every form I'm aware of:
    - Original stereo (x2)
    - Original mono
    - Karrussell non-velvet
    - The Best of Odessa
    - Marley Purt Drive/Sound of Love separates
    - 2009 stereo reissue
    :help:

Boxy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.