Bee Gees single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cut to the chase, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident Thread Starter

Secret Love (1991)

Released: February 18, 1991 (UK)
    B-side: True Confessions
    Charts: #5 (UK, Belgium), #2 (Austria, Germany), #8 (Ireland), #13 (Netherlands), #19 (Switzerland)

JUAN CRISTOBAL and Hadean75 like this.
  2. cut to the chase

"Secret Love" is a song by the Bee Gees. It was the lead single of their album High Civilization, released in March 1991. It is an up-tempo ballad with a clear Supremes style similar to the 1986 Diana Ross hit "Chain Reaction", which was also written by the Bee Gees. The single reached the Top 10 in many European countries, but was not released as a single in the US.

[​IMG]

Secret Love (Bee Gees song) - Wikipedia

JUAN CRISTOBAL and Hadean75 like this.
  3. cut to the chase

Like 'Ordinary Lives', 'Secret Love' is another Bee Gees song that reminds me of my childhood. It was huge in Germany, where it peaked at number 2 on the Singles Chart but couldn't surpass Roxette's 'Joyride'. I remember hearing it a lot on the radio, as German radio stations had it on heavy rotation for months.

JUAN CRISTOBAL likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting - those are my dads two favorite Bee Gees songs!

I remember being proud, relieved and vindicated when “One” hit top ten. Great to have them on the radio again that summer.

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I like Secret Love. Chain Reaction 2 it may be, but it’s catchy and was a big UK hit. It’s also the shortest song on High Civilization!

cut to the chase likes this.
  6. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Saved some money there not having to pay someone to do a single edit of it! :D

sunspot42 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I can't find the mono version of the song on cd. I have the double cd "Ultimate Bee Gees" (Rhino 2009) with a few mono versions of their early hits but not this song. Any chance to get the mono version?

8. ferdinandhudson

You can find it on the 2-CD set of Bee Gees 1st (Reprise, 2007).

John22 likes this.
  9. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Thanks.

In the meantime I have found with "Word" a second song for which I search a real mono version. Someone a recommendation where I can find the mono version?

"Ultimate Bee Gees" has an almost mono version but not a real mono version.

10. JUAN CRISTOBAL

JUAN CRISTOBAL Forum Resident

Secret Love reached number 1 on the Airplay chart in Europe. It was number 1 on German radio for 5 weeks and number 2 in the U.K. The second most played song of The Bee Gees next to You Win Again in the period 1987 2001

11. ferdinandhudson

Almost mono? It's about as mono as it gets. I played it just now with the setting on my amp to 3 Stereo (L-C-R) and it plays entirely in my center speaker.

12. JUAN CRISTOBAL

Secret Love reached number 3 in the Euro Sales and number 1 on the Airplay chart on Abril 14 1991. The song was played a lot in Germany Austria and the U.K. By the way Chain Reaction was the most played song in the U.K. In 86. Lol

13. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Secret Love is a good, catchy, upbeat song......I just don't care for it. It has never appealed to me for some reason. :shrug:

sunspot42 and Record Rotator like this.
  14. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I've never heard these before. The To Love Somebody cover is great! I really like the style they use. The Night Fever Megamix....not so much lol.

15. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

"Secret Love" is catchy and upbeat enough to be a hit, though I wonder if Warner Bros. released it in America with any kind of promotion if it would have had the same success it had in Europe. It seemed that The Bee Gees should have been able to carry the momentum of "One" and the subsequent exposure (VH1 had a Bee Gees weekend in 1990 and the One For All home video) into 1991, but the American single and album didn't even chart despite some promotional appearances - Into The Night and Arsenio Hall.

16. John22

John22 Forum Resident

See the following image. Above "almost mono" with "Words" from "Ultimate Bee Gees" and below "real mono" with "To Love Somebody" from "Bee Gees 1st" (track 24 mono version) . Real mono must have a vertical straight line on the right side of the image. At "Words" see the difference of 0.1 for TPL but RMS for left and right channel are equal. You can't hear the difference.

[​IMG]https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5425/8vk4j8yc_jpg.htm

17. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I don't care for it, either. When I listen to The Ultimate Bee Gees, it's the only song I almost always skip.

sunspot42 and Hadean75 like this.
  18. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

I wish it had been released in the States.

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

The only song after One I ever heard on the radio from a newer album. Good track

20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Stunned this re-write of "Chain Reaction" was a bigger hit in Europe than "One". I've always found it tinny, shrill and annoying since I got The Record a dozen years ago or whenever.

Record Rotator likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Talk about no promotion. If your favorite band had an album coming out you would think you would know about it. I was in my usual store and thumbed through the Bee Gees section and bam, there it was. Talk about a great surprise. But finding out about a new release by accidentally finding it probably indicates, I don’t know, maybe no marketing at all? Why sign a band and then not promote the product? It isn’t a great album but as usual, there are some strong songs that could have sold albums. It’s hard to imagine it didn’t even chart!

22. ferdinandhudson

At the end of the contract they weren't happy with Warner. A couple of years later, under a new record deal, Polydor/A&M stiffed US sales by not pressing enough albums as Size performed better than they had expected. Post-Stigwood they never had much luck with their record labels, or management for that matter...

23. JUAN CRISTOBAL

Pressing not enough albums was for Still Waters when the album scanned almost 66.000 copies in the US for a number 11 debut. It could have been easily a top 10 album if pressing enough copies.

Jrr and cut to the chase like this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They didn’t press enough vinyl either...lol! Hey label: I promise I’ll buy not one, but TWO copies if you issue it on vinyl! I guess I can’t blame the company for not wanting to overpress...I’m sure they had access to previous sales numbers and High Civilization didn’t even chart (does anyone know how many copies were actually sold in the US...10)? On the other hand, why sign them at all then? Perhaps to have access to their catalogue?

I remember being thrilled when our local main newspaper reviewed the album and it was an excellent review. I think the press in the US were, by then, ready to give them another go after being almost banned after 1979. And, that was also the time where it started to be “ok” to say you liked them!

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Hey....what’s the background for your avatar? I thought he was the “nice” one...lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.