Beefheart Trout Mask vinyl question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sytze, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member Thread Starter

Couldn't find the answer to this, but no doubt someone here knows:
    My vinyl copy of Trout Mask Replica was sold to me as an "early USA re-release". Strangely, the record (Reprise 2MS 2027) is housed in a sturdy (original?) Straight STS 1053 cover!
    Now was this reissue sold like that? Did they use leftover sleeves? Or has a previous owner switched records?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  2. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I can’t say for sure, the one I purchased in 1983 had a Straight cover, but Reprise labels on the records. I don’t have it handy to check the numbers.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On Discogs there are some copies with the Straight logo and catalog# on the cover, but Reprise catalog# on the label.

The one I bought in 1985 was the reissue with the 1977 copyright date and no more Straight logo.

4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

5. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. It seems I'm not the only one.

6. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Leftover Straight covers were used for the U.S. 1977 Reprise reissue. I'm inclined to think of the Bizarre reissue as "early" but given that it's now 40 years ago the Reprise might seem so too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Sytze likes this.
  7. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Hey, sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was wondering. How's the sound quality of your copy? I ask b/c I'm looking to add this vinyl to my collection, but I don't know which pressings are considered good, or if there's really even a difference. I wouldn't normally care, but I recently picked up a pressing of an album that sounds like **** with distorted vocals on the last track of each side. It sounds absolutely horrible, so I've tried being more cautious.

Maybe the CD is the way to go?

Any suggestions? Note: I don't really want to shell out $100 for the recent TMR pressing.

Thanks for any tips.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The one I mentioned having earlier in the thread (late 70's or early 80's Reprise reissue) sounds fine to me.

Travadinho likes this.
  9. Travadinho

Cool, thanks for the reply.

10. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I like the version recently issued by Third Man Records, it’s probably available on eBay or Discogs.

Neonbeam and Travadinho like this.
  11. Travadinho

Thanks for the tip, dude. I've read good things about it. I actually found someone on Discogs that's up for trading, so I think I'm gonna make a switch for it.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  12. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

I have an original with STS 1053 on the cover and the record. I also have a 2MS 2027 copy. Both of these have the straight label if I am remembering correctly.
    The STS 1053 kind of sounds like poop. It lacks bass and it just doesn't have that magic sound. They re-cut lacquers for the 2MS copy and it sounds wonderful by comparison.
    Plenty of bass which really makes all the difference in the world especially with this kind of music.

Gumboo, Neonbeam and Travadinho like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.