Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sbeck201, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like recommendations for Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. There was a thread (now closed) for the best SACD, but I have no preference for the format, so CD will be fine (although I can play SACD). I've looked at other forums and sites but there is little concensus as far as I can see (was it ever thus). My main requirements are that it must be at least stereo and not a live performance (i.e. it should be a studio recording). I'm not a classical music expert, just someone who likes what he likes.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Charles Munch on RCA Living Stereo for a burning down the house performance. My overall favorite is Szell with Cleveland Orchestra. Karajan's 60s recording on DG is also excellent. These are all stereo and are studio recordings.

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Agreed, and there are others. Whenever I see a 9th performance I don't have in a shops bins I grab it. In my area very few classical discs command over $4.99USD with majority being $1.99USD or less.

sbeck201 likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

Karajan 1963 on DG. His 1977 recording for DG is excellent, but I find the intensity of his 1963 recording keeps me coming back.

5. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

This one is a favorite.
    Berliner Philharmonika, Claudio Abbado, conductor

[​IMG]

Dan C and ubertrout like this.
  6. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I found this just yesterday and it's...err...quite unique, I think. :)

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I like this one:

[​IMG]

Orchestra Suisse Romande/Ernest Ansermet (1961) on London Records.

8. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I think there's a tendency to only recommend recordings from the golden age of analog...and there's many really good one. However, I think more recent recordings have a lot to say as well, and frankly a good recent recording is going to sound better than a vintage one. I'd recommend checking out Zinman, who takes inspiration from the period instrument folks without trying to pretend it's 1820 (leading to the modern school of Beethoven conducting).
    [​IMG]
    Vanska's whole cycle is also highly recommendable, once again including the ninth.

[​IMG]

Both boxes come in at about $30 all-inclusive. You can track down individual 9ths from both sets if you want to as well.

zen, Mr. Skin, Hedin and 2 others like this.
  9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

There can't be any consensus for a piece like this. There are countless performances of this symphony and many are excellent in one way or another. So people will just recommend their favourite, which often happens to be the one their got to know first. And that's perfectly fine. So I will do the same.

I own about 5 or 6 different performances of the 9th, but for stereo listening I always return to Kurt Masur conducting the Gewandhausorchester in '74. My favourite piece of recorded music ever.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    LitHum05, granata, starduster and 4 others like this.
  10. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I agree about liking the first version that hooks you. Mine was this one, and when I listen to others I find myself noting the differences.

Google Image Result for https://is2-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Features/6e/55/b2/dj.fjmmpevq.jpg/268x0w.jpg [​IMG]

wolfram likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

For the record, the 1963 Karajan was not the first one I heard and I have heard about 20 recordings of this work.

zen likes this.
  12. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

Fritz Reiner with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in the early sixties on RCA is the one for me. I like Szell, Walter, Klemperer, Karajan, Solti, and others; but it seems to me that Reiner gets the most things right. For me, his second and third movements are unmatched.

Nipper and ubertrout like this.
  13. wolfram

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that this goes for everyone here. Of course there are members here who really know their classical music and have formed their opinions over years of listening to lots of different performances. I never doubted you were one of them. :)

George P likes this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Asking for Beethoven recs will only give you option anxiety. Everyone's got their favorites. Listen for yourself and decide.

15. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I like the szell too

16. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

I liked Gardiner's
    Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique controversial, at that time,( enhanced tempos) using period instruments.

zen, Blank Frank and dkmonroe like this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I agree with the Zinman recommendation above and I also enjoy the Solti.

mBen989 likes this.
  18. zen

zen Senior Member

I can't recall how many 9th's were ruined by the vocalists (or the balance between voice and orchestra) in the final movement.

My advice, go with the more famous versions and start with the final movement and hear what singers work for you.

Archtop likes this.
  19. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Beethoven would have been a great present day rocker..........

I'm with hvbias as far as the "Charles Munch on RCA Living Stereo for a burning down the house performance."

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Funny, I have both of those cycles; Zinman on CD, Solti on vinyl.

unclefred likes this.
  21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've only listened to six or seven versions, but for my money, Karl Böhm and the Wiener Philharmoniker (CD on Deutsche Grammophon 427 196-2; 1970) nail this twelve ways to Sunday. Normally with a work like this, I'd immediately go to the Berliner Philharmoniker, as their double bass section is world renown with good reason (and the Abbado version is very good), but Böhm/Wiener is just right to me. The notes don't explicitly indicate that it's a studio recording, but it certainly sounds as if it is.

I believe that this same version is also in the Deutsche Grammophon Symphonies/5 Overtures box, although I'm not certain of that.

zen likes this.
  22. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

There can't be just one 9th, of course, just like there can't be one Hamlet or Lear.

The deeper you go, the more you want. At some point, you'll get to the great Furtwängler recordings, the "dark" 1942 Berlin, and the 1951 Bayreuth (and the 1954 Bayreuth and the 1954 Lucerne). The sonics are of their time, but these are a revelation. All the others mentioned above are worth exploring, too. There's really no end to it.

ubertrout and zen like this.
  23. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

Lots of great recordings (thankfully) of the 9th. My go-to is Fricsay's late 50's recording. I think it was Deutsche Grammophon's first stereo recording of the 9th.

[​IMG]

24. wolfram

This thread makes me want to listen to all my different versions of the 9th. I might just start tomorrow.

Btw, I started this year with attending a performance of the 9th at the Berliner Philharmonie on the 1st. Maybe not by a world class orchestra, but it's hard to beat the live experience.

25. Jfkaess

Jfkaess It's the music!

I'm surprised that no one has recommended René Leibowitz' 9th on Chesky

zen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.