Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sbeck201, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

That's a good one too - I only heard it because Pentatone reissued it as a quad SACD.

[​IMG]

Generally speaking, there's a lot of good suggestions here.

wolfram likes this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I recall this (budget) version having a decent 1st movement, but, the last three were excellent. Wonderful vocals (beautifully balanced) in the final movement.

3. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Specifically speaking, I'd make time for each; though, if time is of the essence you could sacrifice the theremin study.
    Ted! We discussed the whole stealing my thunder thing...and might I simply suggest the OP acquire this epochal rendition by the scenic route that passes through Legacy-ville; specifically, breakout box #2, disc 12, containing a glorious 74:30 excerpt from Heaven's penthouse suite playlist.

[​IMG]

4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Regarding the Munch 9th - performance is one for the ages, the mastering on the Sony CD however is not. It's mastered similar to their modern pop titles and IIRC there was audible clipping at one point. Tip to the OP the Munch is one to get on old vinyl.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Any Furtwangler, followed by the 60s Karajan.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Caveat: this set was released by Documents/Membran. I had a few of their releases but sold them, they sounded awful.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It was remastered for the big Charles Munch box set released by Sony, there is no clipping and both CDs are dynamic. A shame (and rather unusual) the regular CD exhibits that, I've posted in the classical discussion thread that this is one that should be remastered by AP. But I'll live with the fine mastering from the box :)

Not addressing you ricks, but at this point I think it is worth mentioning the OP specifically asked for studio recordings and in stereo. If we're going to bring historical recordings into here there are another dozens and dozens of exceptional performances that could be mentioned to flex one's knowledge.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have the Pentatone set with all 9 symphonies in quad on SACD and I listened to it a lot over the years. A very nice box that got me into these symphonies as a whole.

9. I agree that the first often seems best. My favorite is Toscanini and the NBC Symphony which I first heard more than 50 years ago. That does not necessarily mean that it is the best.

Scooterpiety, Chazzbo13 and wolfram like this.
  10. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for all your responses. I value the views and opinions expressed by members on this forum and I can see there's going to be a lot of further research to be done based on your suggestions.

I don't consider myself an expert on classical music be any means, and my tastes do not cover all genres, so it helps to have the input of more knowledgable people.

11. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Thanks for that info I was unaware.

The Munch is 86 disc's and I'm still making my way through the 3 Living Presence boxes :)

SOONERFAN likes this.
  12. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

This is really good advice.

The 9th is my favorite piece of music. Like many, I like the oft-named versions - Solti, Szell, Klemperer. I never liked Zinman's modern reading of the tempo - it's just too fast for me. Otherwise it's a great recording / performance.

But for me tops is the '63 Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic. When I finally heard it, I was floored by the string section. And the four soloists for that recording were perfect. If I had a time machine, one of my first stops would be to that session, bringing along modern recording equipment.

13. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I just listened to Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt and the Vienna Philharmonic on Decca a few days ago, and it's still one of my top favorites. The vocal quartet (Joan Sutherland, Marilyn Horne, James King, Martti Talvela) is one of the best on record.

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Gardiner's is my jam as well.

15. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

For a different take on it, you could give the performance by Jos Immerseel and Anima Eterna Brugge a spin. It’s a “Historically Informed Performance” on period instruments.

zen likes this.
  16. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

John Eliot Gardiner: Orchestre Révolutionnaire Et Romantique

and for contrast

Sergiu Celibidache - Munchner Philharmoniker

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Leibowitz (Chesky)
    Solti (Decca) his ‘70s recording
    Furtwaengler (HMV) at Bayreuth
    Fricsay (DG)

18. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

19. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Vanska and the Minnesotas: BiS discs are always, IME, well-recorded and this is SACD, which does offer improvement over the CD layer, IME.

I also like, as already suggested several times the Eliot Gardiner.

20. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I enjoy recommendations. Even better is when they include specific listening details.

No anxiety but fun anticipation.

21. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Daniel Barenboim with the East / West Divan Orchestra on Warner Bros does it for me every time.

22. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Okay, then. I like Bohm/Vienna, Bernstein NYP. Recently I thought I would look for more recordings but I only got burned out on the 9th. I tried Chailly which is a good performance, but the sound wasn't that fantastic. I bought a used copy of Dohnanyi on Telarc which is decent.

I love the Bohm cycle. It's 50 years old but the sound is excellent. If you prefer swift tempos, look elsewhere. Szell is always a safe bet. I haven't heard his 9th, but his 3rd is very good. And the restored Furtwangler 9th Lucerne Festival 1954 is excellent.

24. Of the ones I have, Otto Klemperer's 1957 recording and Herbert von Karajan's 1963 recording are the ones I play the most.

25. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Indeed.

I wound up selling the set and getting the 6th on a single record. That one is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.