Before I buy: Can I get 4.0 from a Surround receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

I'm looking for a little advice, any would be greatly appreciated.

I found a good deal on a pair of Polk RTI-38's. I liked the sound of them, and of course now that I am ready to buy, I could only find them in one place (electronicexpress) for $250/pr. I plan to get 4 of these (although I also have a set of 4 Tannoy Proto J's in a basket over at musiciansfriend, but I haven't heard these yet) and then hook up to a $300-$500 multichannel receiver and the Pioneer 563A.

I am not going to connect any video equipment or a sub woofer, but I want to be able to be start enjoying some multi-channed SACDs, I also want a phono input. I don't want to have a fifth speaker, and I need to be able to switch between the various modes without the requirement of a video monitor (I need to change configurations on the receiver and/or remote).

Can I output to 4 channel without a problem? So far, I've examined:
    • Sony STR DE895 ~$300
    • Yamaha HTR5660 $287
    • Denon AVR883
    • Onkyo TX SR301

I don't need many bells and whistles, I am only going to use it to listen to music and I don't care for many effects, such as "Concert Hall", "Amphitheater", etc.
    Am I on track? As far as I can see, these models fulfill my requirements, but I can't tell if I need to use the TV to change configurations I am leaning towards the Yamaha.

I know that I am all over the map here, I appreciate your input and patience!
    :agree:

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Actually your question is a very complicated question because it cuts right to the heart of high rez surround sound music and equipment compatability. First, the reciever you choose must have a 5.1 analog input, this is a primary prerequisite. Then, with the Pioneer 563, you have to go into the set up menu when you first hook it up and you have to choose "yes" for the front right/left speakers, "no" for the center channel speaker, "yes" for the right/left surround speakers, and "no" for the sub-woofer. By doing this your machine will create a 4 channel mix by folding down the 5.1 channels present on a 5.1 high rez disc into a make-shift quadrophonic mix. This is a possible scenario, and the results will vary from disc to disc, but by doing this you are going to REALLY MISS OUT on a fantastic adventure of 5.0. The center channel speaker really does add a lot of discrete information, and with certain discs, Bob Dylan for example, you are going to limit your reproduction capabilities. The center channel speaker adds so much height and space to the reproduction of music, you really should buy one and give it a whirl.

3. stereoptic

Thanks, Rocky. To go 5 channel, I will have to re-think my listening room arrangement (subject to :love: approval !) Thanks for the details on changing the multi-channel configuration. Can I do it right on the player? I hope that I don't need a monitor to change settings.

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

There are many people that feel the center channel is not necessary for music programs. The fifth channel - as it was conceived for home video - was to lock the sound to the action on the screen, regardless of where you sit. As almost all of us already rely on the "phantom center" created by a regular stereo program, and there is no visual to tie in with the center channel on an SACD, it's necessity is questionable.

As stated above. when setting up the Yamaha, the submenu's will offer options for center channel "no" and subwoofer "no". The center channel information will be equally divided between the front left and right speakers creating a phantom center. I THINK the subwoofer information is sent to all four speakers (but it may also only be the front channels).

5. stereoptic

Thanks Uncle Al. Do I need a video monitor to select from the menu, or can I just use the remote/receiver display.

Also, I just noticed that this Yamaha does NOT have a phono input. The 5590 does, but its' a little more pricey.

6. therockman

I hate to disagree with Uncle Al, but there are a couple of points that I need to clarify. First. Back in 1953 Paul Klipsch demonsatrated the benifits of three channel sound by adding a center channel speaker that was flanked by two Klipschorns. The demonstration actually toured through 1953/54, and won a lot of converts, but the technolgy was not in place in order to make this feasable for home use.
    Another point. The set up to go into a 4.0 surround sound will have to be done in the DVD player's menu, and yes you will need a video monitor to do this. The reason is because the output signal from a high resoulution audio disc is pure analog, thus this signal by-passes all DSP circuitry in the reciever. You can not use your reciever's set up menu because that only affects the digital signal, which there is none when playing high-rez audio. But further bad news. On almost all DVD-As made, you have to have a video monitor in order to naviagate the menu. This is not a factor with SACD playback, but it is an unfortuantate factor with DVD-As.

7. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

At the moment, I have a 4.0 setup!

I use my normal amplifier connected to a special 3 (L, R, Centre) to 2 (L, R) lead that the tech guys at work made for me.

I have a cheapo amp just driving the rear speakers.

Works fine, but the more I listen, the more I think I'll save up for a surround amp and a centre speaker.

One thing that's weird - I have a Pioneer 656 (DVA, SACD, DVD-A), but it will only create a phantom centre speaker on DVD's, not SACD's or DVD-A!?

Hence the need for the lead.

8. stereoptic

Interesting history on the Klipsh center speaker. Did he have a name for the configuration? Tri-Audio?

Right now, I only have SACD titles. I don't even have any multi-channel sources. I don't see getting any DVD-As in the near future. The reason that I selected the Pioneer player is due to forum member approval and for future expansion into DVD-a. Then I'll think about getting a small monitor, but right now I am pretty adamant about putting any video equipment in my listening room. I am trying to get away from the TV!

Without re-arranging my furniture too much I can position 4 speakers without being too obtrusive (read: wife friendly). If I am to add a 5th center speaker, I would want to match the other 4 (Polk RTI-38s), and I right now I'd rather spend the money on other hardware/software.

So, if I am reading this correctly, I will still be able to use the Pioneer to play SACD mult-channel without needing a monitor, and I will also still be able to enjoy multi-channel, although it will be 4.0, with the center channel "folded down" between the two fronts.

thanks

9. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Stereoptic!

Be aware.... as I said above.... My Pioneer DOES NOT allow me to create a 4.0 surround system on SACDs and DVD-As.

If I select "centre speaker off" it will create a perfect phantom centre speaker with full surround on DVDs.

BUT on SACDs and DVD-As, if I select "centre speaker off" it mutes the rear speakers.

I have a theory that it may be because my machine has been multi-region modded which may have messed things up, but please check first!

10. therockman

Regarding the center channel speaker, let me quote from an article in the March 2004 Stereophile magazine, called MUSIC IN THE ROUND.

"In fact one of the glories of really good stereo is the simulation of a convincing central image, such that there's a seamless soundstage from beyond one speaker, across the room to beyond the other speaker. But that's not all there is to it. Even plain old stereo benifits from a three speaker array across the center. The research supporting it goes all the way back to Alan Blumlein in the 1930s, and was impressively demonstrated by Paul W. Klipsch at audio shows in the late 1950's and early 60s. In a large demo room, Klipsch placed a pair of his massive Klipschorns in the corners at each end of a long wall; a smaller Klipsch speaker, such as a Belle or Cornwall, fed by a summed signal, was placed in the middle of that wall. With judicious level-setting for the center speaker, a huge but remarkably seamless stereo image was created, one so impressive that most listeners probably remember the experience to this day."

11. stereoptic

thanks, Nobby and Rocky. I'll do a little more research on a (stock) Pioneer and see if it has your center channel problem. Are there other economical alternatives if I just want to play redbook and SACD? (no DVD-A)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.