Beginners DUB

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fairaintfair, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Strange than that they have been listed as"Dub" for virtually decades now. Obviously they are not that heavily dubby but very rootsy but they definitely are dub albums.

2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

You might want to try sourcing some John Peel show cassettes from about '76 to '78. I was a regular listener back then and he was a marvellous advocate of Dub. Played loads.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Love this album

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Listed where and by whom? That is indeed strange... :sigh:

This is an actual dub mix of a track from Heart Of The Congos, "Noah Sugar Pan", the B-side version of the "Ark Of The Covenant" single:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

It certainly is a dub album. Even if you disagree, it was produced by Bunny Lee, remixed by Prince Jammy, and recorded at King Tubby's. Fans of dub music should love it.

These are Prince Jammy dub mixes for the sound system audience.

Notes from the release.
    Recorded at King Tubby’s studio, this collection - originally released in 1978 on the Third World label under the unappetising title of ’20 Golden Hits’ - is exceptional in its combination of Wilson’s vocals and Jammy’s dub mixes. What’s so special about that? While there is nothing extraordinary about a generation of deejays declaiming over the top of a dub mix, finding a complete and heartfelt vocal track backed up by a strong dub mix is unusual in the extreme. It’s a combination that never really entrenched itself in reggae and soon digital dancehall would come to dominate. But here, from this particular moment in the development of reggae, we find a striking collection of tracks.

6. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Ossie All Stars - Leggo Dub

Upsetters 14 Dub - Blackboard Jungle (but a world of pain trying to find the "right" version! I seem to recall that it's a stereo album comprising two different mono tracks in left & right speakers & synced together. Or something!)

Lee Perry - Blackboard Jungle dub (Version1)

Rico - Wareika Dub (handily available on one CD with its source Man From Wareika which is equally great)

DUB LP- MAN FROM WAREIKA DUB - RICO - A5

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I disagree with much of that actually. First of all it is not Dub if the vocals are present intact, period. The compilation and the remixing was produced by Bunny Lee in an executive role, and most of the songs were originally produced by Bunny Lee (not sure about "I'm Still Waiting", which was originally produced by Lloyd Charmers, maybe it is a re-recording here, I forget). As it's a compilation I'm not sure where each song was recorded, but the liner notes list Channel One, Dynamic Sounds, Harry J and Randy's, but none of the music is recorded at King Tubby's, there was only a vocal booth in that studio, no capacity to record musicians. The remixes are however done by Prince Jammy at King Tubby's, and it is correct that they were originally made for sound system use, but they are not dub mixes, or else Delroy wouldn't be heard on top of them. I don't know where the text you quote comes from, but it is a bit confusing, the Pressure Sounds site explains it much better: Delroy Wilson – Dub Plate Style

I think the confusion here is twofold. First it's the term "dub plate" in the title, which refers to the acetate onto which these kinds of exclusive sound system mixes were made, and the term "Dub" in turn comes from these ("dub" simply meaning to make a copy), as dub mixes was an extension of straight instrumental mixes that were done onto such acetates (as legend has it, originally happening by accidentally muting the vocals, and early Dub was little more than instrumental versions). Secondly the mixing techniques used as Dub developed, such as focusing on drum and bass and mixing instruments in and out, generously and varyingly applying reverb and echo, and using severe filtering, could of course be used underneath vocals, and DJs would normally chat over dub mixes, existing or created for the purpose, but no-one would call a DJ album Dub just becuse of this. As the quote says: "While there is nothing extraordinary about a generation of deejays declaiming over the top of a dub mix, finding a complete and heartfelt vocal track backed up by a strong dub mix is unusual in the extreme." It is actually surprisingly rare to hear these mixing techniques underneath straight singing from the era (it can happen in extended "discomixes" after the vocal has finished), but regardless it is not Dub if there is a continuous vocal on top.

Edit: I realize I actually suggested an album myself that isn't straight dub (with the caveat that that those parts was a "bonus"), as Scratch seldom put together straight dub albums, sometimes mixing Vocal, Dub, DJ and Instrumental tracks all on the same album (and why not).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    garythain, Wayne Hubbard and Mezzer like this.
  8. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I've never seen Heart of the Congos listed as a dub album anywhere - the Mojo 1000 Ultimate CD Buyers Guide from 2001 doesn't mention dub in its review and says it's a "genuine roots masterpiece" - which it is of course.

Willowman and zither like this.
  9. zither

zither Lodger

I highly recommend Creation Rebel - Dub From Creation (1978)

Trbnado, KeninDC and Wayne Hubbard like this.
  10. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

On U sound
    Adrian Sherwood etc

Joe W, anorak2, KeninDC and 1 other person like this.
  11. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

First post in this thread...

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

By no means an expert but along with some of these great choices might I suggest Sly & Robbie’s recent Nordub album. Obviously not traditional or classic dub but I’m thinking the sound and vibe of these tracks would be welcoming to some newcomers to the genre.

13. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

14. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

The Scientist vs Crucial Bunny. Trippy stuff...just reissued on vinyl.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wikipedia, RYM, Allmusic, you name it: "Roots Reggae, Dub"

16. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Prince Jammy - Black Uhuru in Dub. Easy to find cheap and a brilliant addition to the vocal album.
    I personally only really listen to dub albums as background music, but listen more intently when playing the vocal followed by the version.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Well, reissues, starting with the Blood & Fire in 1996, do add dubs of songs as bonus tracks ("Noah Sugar Pan", which I posted above, and "Congoman Chant" were added on the B&F, and then "Foundation Dub" and "Fisherman Dub" are added on the recent VP 40th Anniversary release), so those reissues do contain Dub as well and for example Allmusic would have added "Dub" to describe the content of all the releases, not just the main album. Wikipedia (which by the way does not say "Dub") can be changed by anyone so what it says there is just what anyone feels like writing at any time. (I'm not sure how RYM works.) Regardless of what it says on any site, the whole idea of Dub (at least in it's hey day of the mid 70s to early 80s) was to remix existing tracks and in the process remove the vocals (wholly or partially).

I guess it doesn't matter what you call the music as long as you enjoy it, but some of the comments in this thread would be confusing to the "beginner" (as that is the topic).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    garythain likes this.
  18. Django

Django Forum Resident

I would recommend Creation Rebel / New age steppers - Treat to Creation.

19. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I like The Upsetters. That's as far as my knowledge goes, as I never got passed the beginner stage with Dub.

20. Django

Django Forum Resident

This maybe my favourite dub track....ever

21. Django

Django Forum Resident

22. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

Check out one of my all time favourite tracks: 'Tedious' by Junior Murvin / Lee Perry.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

A notoriously mislabeled and miscredited track, this is actually "Jammys A Shine", mixed by Prince Jammy, from the album Fatman Dub Contest (which is also a good suggestion for the beginner), so nothing to do with Lee Perry: Crucial Bunny Versus Prince Jammys* - Fatman Dub Contest

The liner notes of the Auralux reissue says it is Black Uhuru's cut of "Sun Is Shining" which is the basis, but to me it sounds like it's Delroy Wilson's version of the song (produced by Bunny Lee) which is given the dub treatment.

I have actually posted it earlier in the thread with it's correct title and credit:
    There are so many bogus Dub albums out there, and everyone loves to use the well-known names of Lee Perry and King Tubby, regardless of if they have anything to do with the music or not.

Kernow Boy, asdf35 and Willowman like this.
  24. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Duh! How did I miss that? Not paying attention I guess. Thanks.

25. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.