Belt question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ian, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

I got my N.O.S. Dual 503-1 a couple weeks ago and noticed right off that the speed is just a touch slow. a lot of people wouldn't notice this but I do (perfect pitch is a blessing and a curse). I had a tech guy look at it and he said I needed a new belt. The thing is I put a new belt on it as soon as I got it, but he says it's the wrong size. My question is: Does belt size make that much difference in the table speed? If so, how? It feels fairly taut when attached to the motor but it is extremely loose when just on the inner platter itself.
    Thanks guys.

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Gotta have the right belt. If it's too loose, it'll slip, causing speed fluctuations. Not good, particularly for those really sensitive to pitch variations. ;)

If it's too tight, it'll stress the motor, which will also lead to speed fluctuations.

Better grab the right belt. Try Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor...I'm sure they'll have one.

http://www.needledoctor.com

A Dual was my first decent table. Have fun with it! :)

3. Ian

I did notice the speed seemed to fluctuate a little now and then (very slight but noticable). So I guess the belt would be the culprit then.

I just checked Needle Doctor and he didn't seem to have one for my model listed... Althogh he may still have one. I don't think the belt is an genuine OEM Dual belt so that might play a little into it as well.

I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks.

4. audio

audio New Member

Just do a Google search for the model of your turntable and the word "belt". You'll find it. There are loads of retailers out there selling tt belts.

5. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

6. Ian

Thanks for the links. Those are very helpful indeed.

7. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I have a ortofon cartridge in my dual and it sounds great.

8. Ian

I've heard a couple of Ortofon's low end offerings and wasn't very impressed but I would like to check out the OM 30. I know that an Ortofon/Dual DMS 249 E came optional with this table but mine wasn't equiped with it. Although my AT440 sounds great, it's still just shy of V15 territory. But it gets awful awful close.

9. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I used a Shure V15VxMR on the CS5000 I used to have. Pretty decent combo with the Dual ULM series arms. Well-built tables. :)

10. Ian

My brother-in-law has a V15III that he's had since the 70's. Was on a Dual with the funky headshell. He has it mounted (I don't know how he did it) on a Technics 1200MkII. It sounds absolutely gorgeous and he swears by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.