Benchmark DAC3 vs Yggdrasil Analog 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doug Walton, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Not MUCH better unless you have an Expensive enough system to resolve the diff.

rodentdog likes this.
  2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes, of course you need some minimum level of resolution to hear those differences. But even in a humble desktop system, one can hear the difference between a DAC3 or Mytek and a PS Audio DirectStream.

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

LOL. I like Andreas designs a LOT and he's a real gentleman. Maybe a shootout is in order...

jh901 likes this.
  4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have had all the Benchmark DACs. The DAC2 was a huge improvement over the DAC1 but it's over 20 years old. The DAC3 is a big improvement over the DAC2 although smaller imho than the prior jump. I still have two DAC1s and a DAC2 HGC. Waiting to see what they do on the DAC4.

I would caution people to use a good ac cord and usb cable for the best performance. Power cords especially helped on the Benchmark's in my experience.

unclefred, rednedtugent and jh901 like this.
  5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It’s a slightly older Andreas Koch design.

jh901 likes this.
  6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Which AC cord do you recommend for the Benchmark DAC3, and why?

Doug Walton likes this.
  7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Well, it rose to prominence around 2010. It now on firmware #30. He offers a power supply and word clock upgrade. Outboard USB on version 3. Will beat his Sonoma line (he claims).

I will bet on the fully upgraded MPS-5 over 2 chassis PS Audio. Lee can settle it by the time Dream series is out in the market!

8. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Benchmark DAC3 HGC experience is going well. IMO, it's a pretty obvious and remarkable jump up from my Gungnir MB in terms of ... well, most everything? :) I now see what my speakers might be capable of, and it's amazing. The headphone amp is a BIG improvement from the one in the A-S801, which is probably no surprise to anyone.

FWIW, all the previous talk about a better power amp, using a separate preamp, having a separate headphone amp, different DACs, power conditioning - none of that is being ignored, and to a large degree, it will surely and eventually impact my disposable income stream. Believe me, I am starting to get it. I've already evolved to where my A-S801 is now solely being used as a power amp and nothing else, and that gives me pause.

9. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Actually, you're using it a pre and power amp. I was surprised it didn't have a 'pre-in' so you could be using it just as a power amp.. the Benchmark is obviously a better pre-amp. Glad you're enjoying the Benchmark.. it really let's you know what's possible downstream.

jh901 likes this.
  10. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Dang. I was just feeling good about buying the DAC2 THREE WEEKS before the DAC3 came out.
    You don't have to go crazy, but better cords do help w/ the Benchmark DAC and Amps...

LeeS, unclefred and jh901 like this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I believe that about as much as your take on MQA.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  12. rednedtugent

Everyone makes mistakes. Let us move on.

jh901 and Hymie the Robot like this.
  13. Hymie the Robot

I agree but I still think you won't hear a difference between those DACs on a desktop system, I doubt I would at least.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Lee can be right 99 of 100, but it is that 1 which will be used to undermine all else. Says more about you, than about him. Do better.

15. Doug Walton

I think the DAC3 is the preamp in my setup, and the A-S801 id the power amp, right? Apparently it’s not ideal to have both volume controls in the chain, but the Benchmark folks said to set the Yamaha as high as I could and still be able to use the DAC3 volume control effectively. Seems ok for now but maybe there is a better way. Makes me wonder if having a DAC combined with a preamp is the smart approach for the future for me. Not to mention it having a headphone amp too.

16. Hymie the Robot

Try both! Trust your ears on your system. I have had better luck putting the digital component at maximum and using analog for the volume control but different systems and different variables.

17. rednedtugent

"Makes me wonder if having a DAC combined with a preamp"
    Benchmark doesn't think so.

If you crank the benchmark and use the analog volume control don't CRANK it.
    I'd set it were it is placed when you use analog pass thru, um, about 4 oclock.
    (just a suggestion, I haven't used it this way)

18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Digital integrated amp is absolutely an option for you. Enjoy the heck out of what you have and have fun exploring the best way forward. Wonder if there's a "hybrid" that has a nice DAC and headphone amp?

It might be expensive to get the quality of D to A in an integrated. You don't want to take a step back when trying to move a bit forward!

19. Hymie the Robot

Why? That doesn't make sense. What is the difference between line out and variable line out on max?

20. rednedtugent

I don't know. I haven't tried it. I assume blindly that the Benchmark folk know more about there product than I. I should put my Usher pre in front of the DAC some time.
    Your suggestion to try it both ways is good.

One of the reasons I tried their DAC was the hybrid gain control. Clever.
    The idea of the DAC is NO coloration whatsoever. Some people want/like
    the coloration.

21. Hymie the Robot

I was doing it as recently as two weeks ago with a processor on max and a multichannel preamp controlling the volume. All was good.

The processor is on directly to the amps now and it does sound different but not better or worse, just different.

rednedtugent likes this.
  22. Doug Walton

I think I didn’t communicate this well. My point is that I’m starting to understand the advantages of separate components as opposed to, say, an integrated amp, or perhaps (not sure yet) something like the DAC3, which is more than just a DAC.

23. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

It appears Schiit creates very polarized opinions. Either you love their products or you hate them. When I read how someone doesn’t care for their products, the first thing mentioned is poor measurements. Maybe I’m not paying attention, but I can’t recall someone say they’ve owned a Schiit DAC and said it sounded poor.

(Just for the record, I think my Gungnir MB sounds pretty nifty).

24. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Don't leave; ignore them.
    I wouldn't have your Yamaha full blast.. what if you forget and start a record; you could kill your PSBs. (and technically you're going thru 2 preamp circuits this way). For now, I'd just use the fixed out on the DAC3 (it has an excellent manual.. switch is on the back) and use the volume on your yamaha for speakers (you can still use the Benchmark's volume for your headphones.. by default the left socket, I believe, mutes the output to the Yamaha.) If you go this route, you'll someday just add a nice separate power amp in place of the Yamaha, and then just need phono pre to bypass the AT5's internal.

25. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Just for the record, here is a thread over at the SBAF Forum that challenges Amir’s findings. To summarize, the thread claims Amir magnifies the scaling of his charts to exaggerate distortion levels of Schiit DACs, amongst other inconsistencies. Not sure where the truth lies; with Amir, with Marv Dunn (author of the SBAF thread), or perhaps somewhere in the middle?

Yaggy Measurements - Deconstructing ASR / Amir's Hack Job

JohnCarter17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.