Benchmark DAC3 vs Yggdrasil Analog 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doug Walton, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was the M22 (V1). I contacted NAD and asked about V1/V2 differences other than those published. They said that the only changes were:

- 20% power increase
    - Internally bridgeable via a switch
    - input sensitivity switch

Again, it was tough for me to return the M22. It's really nice, and at 1/2 price for a factory refurb, it felt like a bit of a steal.

The D-Sonics look interesting - first I've heard of them.

2. zoomin

zoomin Forum Resident

Anxiously awaiting your review of the PS Audio stellar 700s to that Benchmark amp, and then again reviewed against a pair of Benchmarks :)

Doug Walton likes this.
  3. NEXTLEVEL5

NEXTLEVEL5 Well-Known Member

I currently have the Yggdrasil A2 connected to the Mjolnir2. It's been a great combo for me but I also want to run my bookshelf speakers more seamless as I have rca out going to a marantz sr6009. I decided to jump on the HPA4 as well and compared both amps right before I went on vacation(I need more testing)but the preamp features of the HPA4 make a lot of sense for me. So far the HPA4 has been real positive to me. Detailed, smooth excellent soundstage, no added brightness or sibilance. It sounds really good. In fact, I ordered an AHB2 to go with in hopes of replacing my marantz receiver with the ahb2. My hope is I can stack the hpa4 and ahb2 with the Yggy and call it a day. What do you like better on the ahb2 over the m22? What do you like better so far between the built in amp of the dac3 over the hpa4? Definitely interested in your feedback. Thanks

4. Doug Walton

HA! Ain't gonna happen. At some point I may grab a second AHB2, but if I keep the HPA4 HP amp, I'll be kind of broke for a while. :) But the listening will be real good.

AmosM likes this.
  5. Doug Walton

Update: I'm keeping the Benchmark HPA4. It's incredible, and it gets even better after 40-50 hours of burn-in. I really like how well it integrates into the Benchmark stack.

I received a second AHB2 a day ago, and am seeing how the AHB2 monoblock configuration goes. So far, I like it. Big surprise there. :)

unclefred likes this.
  6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Doug, I recently picked up a Benchmark AHB2 to match up with a DAC2. I haven't had much time with it yet but so far I am very impressed. I'm curious, did you find the addition of the HPA4 to have a noticeable difference in the overall sound? I understand that the volume control is a big improvement over the DAC2, which is pretty good already.

7. Doug Walton

The HPA4 itself seems to me to be transparent when not listening to headphones. And it delivers a noticeable improvement in SQ over the DAC3 HP amp.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks, that is great to hear. Enjoy the new rig!

9. allegro

allegro Well-Known Member

Just mentioning that SBAF has temporarily opened membership. They don't do this often if you have been wanting to join that forum. SBAF links to this forum, how I found it.

10. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I join SBAF when I was looking for DAC some time back as there was an extensive DAC comparison thread by one member.
    I quickly became convinced that the DAC forum is a Yggy fanboy forum.
    If you want to read over and over how it kills most every other DAC have at it.
    I got bored. Seems like people get banned there regularly for heresy.

Either the guy on SBAF measures DACs correctly and John Atkinson, Amir & Archimago do it wrong or the other way round.

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

LOL! :thumbsup:

12. Yamahaha

Yamahaha Sir Pepe of LePew

Wow the arguments about nothing.

High end audio is never so high end. Fact is, if its changing the sound, it aint high end. Smooth, laid back, forward .... all this nonsense and people spend so much money when in reality - its all about coloring sound. Some people like A some like B. Where this all gets old for me is everyone that has to proclaim they are using "reference grade" etc and its tons of money and it colors the sound. Isnt the whole purpose of high end audio to hear whats on the recording?

For my money, I want to hear what artists spend their time/$ making using real engineers and real high end gear in real studios and someone with talent mastered etc. No need to color it up on my end. Just my opinion.

Jeff57 likes this.
  13. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

FFS no. Too many people with more money than brains purchases items for status. That is not an opinion, it is an observation of the world around us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.