Bend It Like Beckham: Must See!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stever, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

My wife and I saw this movie last night -- fantastic! It's got what most great movies have -- drama, comedy, romance, but most of all it's just a great story about believing in yourself.

2. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Saw this yesterday with my 12yo soccer playing daughter. She absolutely loved it. I also enjoyed it, but felt the love triangle and romantic aspects were a little hokey.

Jay N.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I want take my 14-year-old daughter, she's a soccer player too. Is it appropriate for my 10-year-old daughter as well, or should I get a sitter? :)

Dan C

4. Bend It Like Beckham is a must see. I went to the movie on opening night last month with a friend and will be seeing it again this week with my girlfriend. I will probably buy the DVD when it comes out later this year. I may even get it now, as one of my DVD players is "all regions". :D The DVD was released in the U.K. in November, 2002. This is a movie that I can safely recommend to just about anyone. It has drama, comedy, the love triangle thing, though I do agree it's a tad hokey, but everyone leaves the theatre with a big smile on their face. It's nice to have one or two good movies in this genre every year to distract us from all the stresses in the world.

BTW, there are some good tunes in the film as well.

Attached Files:

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Good movies I've seen recently, thanks to Netflix:

Amelie

The Good Girl

Storytelling

The Wonder Boys

6. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Should be great for the 10 yo also. A very empowering movie for young girls. Enjoy!

7. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident

I know this is not strictly on topic, but I would be fascinated to know if you guys have heard much about David Beckham? He is a massive icon in the UK and Europe but given that he plays football with the 'wrong' shaped ball, I would be surprised if he's that well known on the other side of the Atlantic. Or am I wrong?

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

He's probably best known here as the other superstar/beautiful half of that Posh Spice or whoever she is. :)
    Americans have never really taken to pro soccer.
    Dan C

9. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

OK, Lucifer, I'm cheating a bit because whilst I live in Canada, I was born and raised in the East End of London (in Stratford, 2 stops down from Beckham's birthplace in Leytonstone). Of course, I'm a massive West ham and England fan but I've lived in Canada for 25 years (I'm 38). We get more Premiership football on TV here than you do in England (with almost EVERY Man Utd game on live). If one chooses to follow English football in North America, then it is very easy to know who David Beckham is (for his free kicks and crosses, as opposed to being Mr Posh).

My continuing frustration when visiting England is that North American sport is not covered very much on English TV (though I understand Sky Sports is now showing more American Football and Basketball).

Cliff

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Dan,
    Here's a review from "screenit.com" that rates it for various types of content. I have found this site very useful as it is a rare movie review resource for parents that doesn't seem to have any political/philosphical axes to grind. On the down side, by its very nature it will occasionally contain mild spoilers. The writers do try to avoid them.

Regards,

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Excellent resource, Ken.
    Thanks much,
    Dan C

12. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Never heard of him before the movie...

13. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident

Hi Cliff

Interesting that you get more live Premiership football than we do over here! But I was wondering about the awareness of Beckham amongst people who don't particularly follow English football - is he still a well known personality or have most people never heard of him ? I assume the latter is the case ...

Over here Sky Sports shows American football. Also, Channel 5 show Baseball, and even American college soccer, if you choose to stay up until 4am!

Good luck for next weekend by the way, I am crossing my fingers that West Ham stay up.

14. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Although I know who he is, I don't believe that most Americans really know who Beckham is, and he's certainly not a widely celebrated sports superstar. I'm certain that most people, if they know of him at all, know him as 'Posh' Spice's husband. For the record, here in the North Eastern US, all Manchester United games can be seen on the YES (Yankees Entertainment and Sports) cable network and I believe that Premiership football is also carried on either Fox Sports NY or MSG (Madison Square Garden) or possibly both I'm forgetting at the moment.

15. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Lucifer,
    Thanks ..... I'm afraid we'll need both your prayers and finger crossing. The reason we get more live games is due to the rule in England that 3 p.m. kick-offs cannot be shown live (for fear of hurting the gate receipts). We also get a couple of more delayed matches on Saturdays in their entirety that you likely only see on Match Of The Day.

You are correct as far as the US is concerned. Very few people have heard of David Beckham just as in England very few people have heard of major American athletes such as Alex Rodriguez, Roger Clemens, Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan. I was reading an interview with the Bend It director and she apologized for never hearing of Wayne Gretzky (possibly the top ice hockey player of all-time and an icon in Canada).

Here in Canada, it's a bit different as the immigrant population stays very close to its roots, so football (soccer) is still avidly followed (be it by British, Italians or whatever) for their respective homeland domestic leagues and national teams.

It would be safe to conclude that in North America overall, Victoria is a more popular Beckham than David.

Cliff

16. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

GB,
    You are somewhat correct. YES shows tapes of that week's games as well as vintage games. Your regional networks (FSNY and MSG) also show delayed games and highlights. Fox Sports World shows live matches and there are games on Saturday and Sunday on PPV.

Cliff - who watches all of these on his DirecTV dish (Canada's national sport) :eek: (saying much more would get me Gorted ;) )

17. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Cliff,

You are correct about the games on the regional sports networks and YES and Fox Sports World as well as the PPV on DirecTV (of which I am a subscriber) which I forgot to mention. As for DirecTV in Canada, we'll just keep that among friends. ;)

18. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

.........and a particularly attractive female co-star!

19. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Surprisingly enough;), David Beckham was already mentioned in one of the threads here around the time of the World Cup finals.

20. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

That particularly attractive co star is Kiera Knightly. She is staring in a movie about dead pirates this summer. Nice girl and indeed quite a looker.

21. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

She really is cute! She'd look even better if she wasn't so thin!

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

David Beckham's picture is on the front page of today's USA Today newspaper. IIRC, the article is about how he is a household name almost everywhere in the world except for the USA, where he is now known because of the film title.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.