Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

SH Spotlight Benny Goodman on RCA-Victor, 1937, recorded in Hollywood, wonderful sounding records. Give a listen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host Thread Starter

You are.

2. ella_swings

ella_swings Well-Known Member

The other Benny Goodman thread here had someone tell of an OWL system and that being the best way to listen to 78s. Made the RIAA curve sound like a big deal.

3. ella_swings

x-posted on the other Goodman thread, but finally found this. The disc itself is in immaculate condition.
    Took me a while to find. I don't know that it was ever reissued on a Circle label. I haven't seen anything before "King Porter Stomp/Sometimes I'm Happy" (VI 25090) reissued on a Circle. Post if you have (this would include VI 25009, 25011, 25021, and 25024).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

misterjones likes this.
  4. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Follow-up to post above: Architect Carl Jules Weyl's sketch for the building RCA built in 1930 for film and music recording at 7000 Santa Monica Boulevard. So many great sides cut here:

[​IMG]

detail from the building permit filed with Los Angeles county:
    [​IMG]

Weyl designed a number of other significant buildings in Los Angeles, including the Brown Derby restaurant on Vine Street, and the complex of offices and courtyard at 6528-6540 Sunset Blvd for cowboy movie star Fred C. Thompson (later owned by Edgar Bergen and used for his TV show). He was also an accomplished set designer for The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938 - for which he won the Academy Award), and Casablanca (1942).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Alan G. likes this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Forum Resident

There's an RCA Orthophonic thread you might be interested in:

SH Spotlight - What is an RCA-VICTOR Orthophonic recording?

6. ella_swings

Will read. Maybe it will shed some light on why on earth Victor decided to add all that echo effect in the 1950s. YUK! I can't even listen to my LPs from that era anymore. "The Golden Age of Benny Goodman", which I grew up on in the late 1980s, is unlistenable now that I'm properly obsessed with the shellacs.

7. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

This is very interesting. Other than your masterings of Bing and our friend's of Nat King Cole, I have heard very few high quality pre-1950s recording of particularly high quality.

8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Very nice. :righton: