Berlin: any love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Sep 15, 2016.

1. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have a 7-inch single of "Take My Breath Away". It's one of the great 80s production songs in my opinion.

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Giorgio Moroder - can't go wrong.

the sands likes this.
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Forget about what the rest here think of the band...tell us more about the conversation! How did it come about? What did u talk about?

black sheriff likes this.
  4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Love the 'Count Three...' album, hate TMBA!

Nugent's solo on 'Trash' though :) I can probably forgive him for the last 25 years just for that!

5. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was 16 and was just starting to play music and some friends of mine were trying to put a band together and put an ad out in this local news-rag called "The Recycler" (Los Angeles, South Bay) and Terri Nunn called me! I was like "Ummm, we're only 16 and barely even know how to play our instruments" .... She said she didn't care because we sounded so cute and she just wanted to get back in a garage and bang out some tunes with a band and get that feeling back again. She told me the entire history of Berlin and why they all hated each other and broke up, and then all this advice about the music biz. She talked my ear off for at least an hour or so. It was very cool. And because I was a 16 year old idiot, I dropped the ball And just said "Thanks, bye"

6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Wow!

And yes, I remember the Recycler. But all I ever got from it was '72 Super Beetle!

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

And then of course Terri sings on what is probably the last recording we'll ever get out of the Sisters of Mercy

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I really like the mini-LP Pleasure Victim. I bought it when it came out on the Enigma label. "Terry Nunn: Vocals. BJs." I thought any album that put that on the back cover was worth investigating. The 12" single No More Words is pretty dynamic and fun to listen to.

hammer99 likes this.
  9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Take My Breath Away is a good song

But this is the Berlin that I like

10. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Anyone else a fan of The Big F?

gary191265 likes this.
  11. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I saw Berlin when the opened for The New Cars at Chastain Park, Atlanta.
    She still looks fantastic and her voice is spot on.
    Terri stepped into the audience and stood right in front of me singing Took My Breath Away .....wowsa!

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

:shake:

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think that was my first exposure...not the video but the song. WLIR played a lot of Berlin, and man did I love this song.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

BJs == Bad Jokes. I believe that's explained on the cover.

What were you thinking?

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not much. I didn't like those albums before I knew who made them. When I found out, I thought "huh?" Doesn't sound much like Berlin.

I thought Teri Nunn's solo album was also a big letdown, although there are a couple of pretty good songs on it.

16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I second that emotion!

Where/how? I loved that show, especially the Kajagoogoo episode where just before entering the shed where the other guys are you can see Limahl is quite nervous. And, IIRC, I liked how when asked about he reunion he just instantly said life is too short, yes.

sunspot42 and Surly like this.
  17. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's an odd performance from that era in what looks like someone from CNBC's home garage studio:

18. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I really liked the debut, never bothered with the follow up though.

19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

20. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Look above me! Someone posted a YouTube link!

Yes, the Kajagoogoo one was quite good, too. I've always loved them and it was great to see them back together. It even caused EMI UK to reissue all of their albums with bonus tracks (with a nod to Nick Beggs' wife for pushing for them). They even recorded some new music together after that. But then I read the Mad World book a couple of years ago, and it seems like there is tension between Limahl and Nick again, at least according to the quotes from both of them in that book. It's well worth a read for any new wave fanatic.

21. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Wow. I'd never heard of them, just checked out a few YouTube videos. I'm in mild shock. What a departure from Berlin (and Fahrenheit before that) for John Crawford. I'm not a fan of that style of music, but it sounds great for what it is. I think I'm in the most shock over Crawford's vocals (and look). He could barely carry a tune in Berlin (and sometimes he couldn't). Where did that come from?

22. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Oh, my, it was great.

23. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Didn't see this posted elsewhere but Berlin will be on tour this year. According to wikipedia: "In an August 9, 2016 interview with The Washington Times, Terri announced the Original members (Crawford, Nunn and Diamond) have been writing new material, and planning a tour and new album for 2017." Website makes no mention of this but, in any case, here are the dates:

Berlin | Animal - Tour ยป

Interestingly, the website also doesn't make any mention of their show in Dallas which is getting lots of push down here, August the 24th. Maybe something else is afoot?

24. davers

davers Forum Resident

I saw them open for Pat Benatar/Neil Geraldo in 2014. Teri is one of the most engaging performers I've ever seen...really friendly and totally connects with the audience.

Favorite song: The Metro.

25. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The explanation was etched in the run-out groove on side two, therefor ending my investigation.