Berlin: any love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I of course what to hear the rejected songs. Those usually turn out the to be the best because the labels are looking for a "hit".

2. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Now It's My Turn was always my favorite Berlin toon.

3. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Haven't heard anything over the last month. Doesn't look they'll be making a May 1st release. Perhaps September?

4. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i don't ever recall a solider sleeping next to me. but terri nunn was really cute 40 years ago.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Latest reports now have it the new album will be released July 2019.

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

On tour with the B-52's and OMD too

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  7. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

No real news to report, though the band was featured today on AXS TV. You can watch the 25 minute interview here.

The band's main website has been updated with the new group photos, etc. New album has seemingly been re-titled "Transcendance" (no space) though it's possible this may change. On track for summer release (rumored July 2019).

Tokyo Ghost and Curveboy like this.
  8. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Official album release date August 2nd. (An otherwise not so informative) interview with Terri can be found here. As Curveboy states, they're on tour with a couple other 80's bands and branded as "Berlin, featuring Terri Nunn." Not exactly sure the reason now that the original band is back together, but maybe they don't all make all the dates and she instead plays with her "backup" band. Not sure her name is all that recognizable.

One other thing - some possibility of Berlin being involved with the new Top Gun film next year. Unlikely, but there you go.

9. Giulio 2

Giulio 2 Forum Resident

Thanks for the update, 'Purple'. Here's hoping that the new album won't be another victim of the Loudness Wars.

Purple and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Here’s a direct link for the new song (which I think sounds promising):

bluemooze, Galley, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  13. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I just created a new thread. If you want, you can talk about the new album here.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Changing the pace a little, has anyone heard Information (1980)? It's the band's first album, featuring Virginia Macolino on vocals, temporarily filling in for Terri Nunn as she pursued Hollywood fame. The vocals aren't nearly as strong as what we've come to see, and an acquired taste, but they largely suit the material well. (Some have mentioned they didn't even know Nunn wasn't on it). I was particularly struck by how new wave this album is - as in, genuinely the new wave of punk. The lyrics are often about the intersection of technology and society, and the music reflects it well. Crawford's "A Matter of Time" was one of the singles, and holds up well. Overall, while it's not as accessible as Pleasure Victim, the album is nevertheless pretty frantic, energetic, and inspired top to bottom... it just might take a few listens to appreciate.

Information is long out of print and only available on record. You might have to drop $40 if you want it. It would be nice to get a lossless or needle drop of this, but you can check out the full album here:

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wow. That certainly sounds like Berlin!

pinkrudy likes this.
  16. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

17. Tokyo Ghost

Terri with Harrison Ford.

[​IMG]

ARK, deredordica, kwadguy and 4 others like this.
  18. Tokyo Ghost

Berlin - The Metro. Live, 1983.

bluemooze, Curveboy and ries like this.
  19. Tokyo Ghost

20. Tokyo Ghost

21. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

When i was on a berlin kick a year ago I watched this. It was Great to see them reunite and all the grudges they held.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not bad...sounds like Berlin. Not like their very best songs, but enough like Berlin that I'm intrigued.

Purple likes this.
  23. Tokyo Ghost

Berlin - Jealous (1985).

A track from 1985 which was not on any of their albums. It was on the soundtrack for the film Just One Of The Guys.

kiefer2, Purple, Giulio 2 and 3 others like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

After some initial sessions faltered, the trio was introduced to award-winning Australian producers Andy and Thom Mak, who brought Transcendance -- which resumes Berlin's particular brand of synth-pop, including a remake of the troupe's provocative 1983 single "Sex (I'm A...)" -- to fruition.
    A remake of Sex (I'm A...)? Not looking forward to that. I'm sure that was pushed on them by the crappy Cleopatra Records label.

Purple, Porkpie and sunspot42 like this.
  25. Tokyo Ghost

[​IMG]

TRACK LISTING:

1. I Want You

2. Show Me Tonight

3. Transcendance

4. Lust

5. On My Knees

6. Sex (I’m A…)

7. No One Left Alive

8. All For Love