Bert Kaempfert bass sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Anyone know what that is? I was listening to some Bert on XM the other day and for all the decades that I have heard his music, this is the first time that I actually wondered how he got that 'dunky' bass sound. I'm guessing that the player used a pick but does anyone have any idea of what kind of bass he used, etc?

I won't lose any sleep if no one knows but I would be grateful if someone did. :)

2. temp secretary

temp secretary New Member

flatwound strings?

3. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

4. Isn't it a Danelectro 6 string bass played with a pick?

McLover and CaptainOzone like this.
  5. Hawkman

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, essentially ripped from Carol Kaye's technique.. The "Nashville Sound" of the Chet Atkins produced records also ripped this..

7. Hawkman

Ah. Now that you mention it....

8. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

I've read in a music magazine Kaempfert produced his unique bass sound by laying a double bass over a bass guitar during the recording process.

9. Owen Bradley as well...it's all over Brenda Lee records like "I'm Sorry" where it's very loud in the mono mix and not quite prominent in the stereo.

10. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Billy Vaughn also had that "Kaempfert" bass sound by the early 1960's. I wonder what his method was, same as Kaempfert's?

Vaughn and Kaempfert certainly created some OUTSTANDING Easy Listening music!

11. peerke

peerke Senior Member

I don't know much about Bert Kaempfert and his Orchestra, but I love some of his tunes: 'Swinging Safari', 'Living It Up' and 'Afrikaan Beat'.

They have a very specific dry bass sound. Anybody in the know how this was achieved?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One word:

Danelectro.

gregorya, CaptainOzone and rxcory like this.
  13. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Love that bass beat. I would consider it his signature sound in almost all of his recordings.

14. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I'm well aware of the use of the Dano bass in recording, but I always thought that the bass on Bert's recording had too much bottom end for it to be a Dano. To me, it sounds more like a Fender Precision played with a pick and the tone knob turned all the way up. Did Bert tell you otherwise, Steve?

15. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

I'm not too familiar with Bert's music, but they regularly use one of his themes on our local radio station.

IIRC, the bass is very similar to Carol Kaye (Pet Sounds). "God Only Knows" springs to mind.

That was a fender bass wasn't it?

Stephen

16. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

A few posts (and several minutes) up, Steve said "Danelectro."

Unless you're meaning "fender bass" in the generic electric bass guitar" sense, in which case, yes.

Like Jet Harris. Only not really.

hi_watt and EasterEverywhere like this.
  17. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

On some of Kaempfert's recordings, like "Cerveza," it sounds like the bassist is damping the strings with his pick hand.

Kaempfert used that bass sound a little bit on his first album, April in Portugal (1959), but didn't invent it. It was already common on country recordings, particularly those coming out of the Decca studios, and is often referred to as "tic tac" bass. For example, Hank Garland's Danelectro 6-string bass can be heard very prominently on Jimmy C. Newman's recording of "Step Aside Shallow Water," recorded in February of 1958.

Mister Charlie and Mal like this.
  18. John DeAngelis

On earlier dates, Carol played a Danelectro. I am of the opinion that the bass on Pet Sounds is a Fender.

19. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Bert recorded a Fender bass and an upright acoustic bass and combined it for his characteristic bottom friendly sound.

When he recorded the Beatles for Polydor he passed this on to them

They ignored it and spent years trying to get good 'bottom'

Such is Showbiz....

Roger

20. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

This was true of late '50s country recordings, too. On the Jimmy C. Newman recording I mentioned earlier, there's an upright bass in addition to the six-string electric bass.

21. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

German big band leader James Last said in an interview that it was him who actually gave that (Fender?) bass guitar as a present to the guy who became Bert Kaempfert's bass player (don't remember his name). At the time, it must have been one of the first electric basses available in Germany.

22. Brother Shinola

Brother Shinola New Member

23. John DeAngelis

There he is on stage and in the studio with an electric Fender Jazz Bass!

The Fenders come with a bridge cover that has a strip of foam that fits over the strings. That helps mute them. Most rock players take the bridge cover off immediately so the strings have more sustain. Playing the muted strings with a pick helps give it that unique sound you hear on Bert's recordings. You can also must the strings with the side of your hand when you play with a pick if you play close to the bridge at the bottom of the bass.

Thanks for the link!

24. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

There's a film of John Lennon and Phil Spector listening to an early take of "Imagine" (same version that appears on John's Anthology) and John comments that he doesn't like the sound of the bass because "...it sounds like Bert Kaempfert again." That got a laugh out of Phil.

25. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

When I first went to London in 1965 Fleet Street was home to the Press and the Law Courts, a heady mix of eccentrics...

Also added to this mix of journos and barristers drinking in ancient pubs was a smattering of HiFi shops.(Laskys, Sterns etc)

They all played Bert Kaempferts 'Swinging Safari' to demo their speakers.

It ruined my appreciation of the Band

The other awful fave was Mantovani

Both these I am now investigating.

Ah the power of the net......

Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.