Best $5000. Integrated amp or Pre amp/Amp combo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marantz Reference PM-KI-Ruby Integrated. Done!

Catcher10 and GoldprintAudio like this.
  2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

have you hard it? looks interesting but it is a class D amp.

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Meanwhile, back at post #37, the OP has made a choice.

4. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Go Odyssey Audio.

Get a Candela tube pre amp, and the best amp Klaus recommends for your budget. He’ll also recommend the amp based on your other equipment like source and speakers.

Call him and see what you think.

5. avanti1960

congrats- excellent choice- let us know how you like it! the stereophile review made it sound like the amp section is very good but that the DAC is somewhat strange the way it behaves (which I could care less about). the DAC may be the only thing that kept it from a class A rating.

6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I have a demo unit here.....fantastic sounding integrated.

7. Brando4905

Brando4905 Forum Resident

Any chance you’ve received the Cary yet? Id love to hear your thoughts on it.

8. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Are you wholly against class D Avanti? Which have you heard?

9. avanti1960

Not wholly against it but somewhat reluctant. The Class D amps I have heard to date (Rogue Audio Hybrids, NAD, Legacy Audio, PS Audio, my JL Audio mobile amplifiers in my car) all seem to deliver a better transparency and treble extension than most AB amps- but it comes with a price. That price being a subtle but noticeable un-naturalness ?, less forgiving to compressed recordings, weaker bass at low volumes and a thinner sounding midrange.

Helom likes this.
  10. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Buy a pre-owned McIntosh MA7000 and don't look back.

200 wpc of solid power into 2, 4 and 8 ohms. (Realistically 250 wpc) It is a no-compromise design that will outlast its lucky owner and will power almost any speaker one is likely to pair with it.

Pre-owned McIntosh in excellent condition will also maintain the highest percentage of value after many years of enjoyment, making it the least expensive choice in the long run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Fair enough. I can't comment on those, but before trying my own power amp saw quite a lot referring to how the Hypex NCore module (which it incorporates) had moved class D on from, largely, the characteristics you mention in to new ground; and some folks even using them to replace AB and even class A/SET amps. I was still half expecting to find it somehow potentially a bit thin/bloodless anyway. But no, not at all. Yes clear and extended but also weighty and natural. It really is worth hearing one at some point if possible, and interested.

Edit, even at lower volumes - at least with these speakers, but perhaps less so with others

12. avanti1960

thanks, do you have an example that you have heard?

13. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

I believe you expressed interest in Odyssey amps. FWIW, Jonathan Valin of the Absolute Sound wrote a rave review years ago of the Stratos mono blocks, concluding that while you could spend a lot more, why would you? I have a Khartago stereo amp that Valin also praised and claimed that Alon Wolf of Magico likes it. I've been very happy with it. But it's hard for me to play music as loud as I would like as my wife objects, loudly! Otherwise I would have invested in the Stratos Monoblocks. And Klaus is a great guy. He'll talk to you forever about his amps and the many enhancements you can purchase over the stock models. He sells direct, so his price/value ratio is excellent. The only issue would come from people like our host who much prefer tubes. But I'm not going to open that can of worms as I have no experience with tube amps and thus no dog in that fight, nor worm for that matter.

14. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Example of a Ncore? Just the Nord power amp I now have.

avanti1960 likes this.
  15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd also consider active speakers, which bring their own benefits. Some, like the AVI DM10 (or DM12 if it's out now), or the KEF LS50 Wireless, have their own preamp and DAC onboard, others, individual power amps for each driver. Not to be confused with powered speakers like most of the Audioengine range which has one amp driving all the tweeters and woofers, contained in one speaker housing.

For $5,000 you've some excellent options out there. The two I've mentioned give you your power requirements. Not sure if the KEFs use class D though.

16. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

How would you compare the sound character of the Ruby PM-KI to a Yamaha AS2100/1100?

17. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Sorry, but can't help much there. I've not heard the 1100. I've traded for a few 2100's but really only spent time testing them to make sure everything functions, versus a lot of listening time. I do remember the 2100 being quite nice however.

I 'm just a sucker I guess for Ken Ishiwata's work. I really like the sound profile he accomplished (especially on the current reference models). I've said this in a few other posts, but the current RUBY units (both the integrated and the sacd player) are incredible values for what you get out of them.

ThorensSme likes this.
  18. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

The A21 sounds pretty horrible though. A very congested and dry sounding thing.
    I think a Rotel at half the price probably sounds better.

19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Based on what most of the audio world as well reviewers report your opinion of the A21 is not even close. Why quote me and not just state your mind?

bever70 likes this.
  20. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking a Ruby PM audition should be in my future.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.