Best 78 rpm cartridge (and mono cartridge lore)...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dylan78rpm, Jul 3, 2015.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I once asked Grado directly about that, and only got the vaguest response.

MrRom92 likes this.
  2. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I have a Shure M78S and a Stanton 500. I prefer the Stanton. Though, I suppose either one sounds alright.

I also purchased a 78 RPM stylus for my Stanton 681 EEE cart that's on my Dual 1229 deck. It came with the brush assy. I haven't spun 78's in a while but maybe with Christmas coming around, I'll put on my Burl Ives box set and a few other Christmas discs I have.

It's always fun spinning 78's for some reason. Maybe it's the fast rotation, the sound of the groove and the arm plowing along?

Oh, and I believe a mono switch is a must for these discs.

dennman6 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Okay, I now have a mission to obtain a set of Burl Ives 78's.

McLover likes this.
  4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I don't know what it is either but I agree it's fun!!

5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I have used Stanton 500s, Shure M44 (with 78 styli), and the Shure M78s. Of the three, I still use the Stanton and Shure M44. A variety of styli are produced for each and they produce very nice playback results.

I was disappointed with the M78s. I thought the playback on mine was a bit distorted, plus I didn't like being locked into one stylus size. Also, while the jumpers to produce mono playback do work, I would rather stick with the double-Y-cable setup or use the mono button on the amplifier. Indeed, there are some 78s from which you may want to isolate one channel from the other, if one side of the groove wall is a bit more worn or damaged. You lose that flexibility with a jumper'd or mono cart. (Yes, you can remove the jumpers, but it's not something one would want to do repeatedly.)

McLover likes this.
  6. Hi. I just bought a Stanton T.92 M2 turntable---nice turntable and it has a 78rpm speed. Has a 300 cartridge. But I can't seem to find a 78rpm stylus for it. The Stanton people told me a 500 would work---and I ordered one and it turns out it doesn't; a totally different design.

So I'm wondering if anybody knows of a low price 78rpm stylus that would work on a Stanton 300 series cartridge?

8. I'm wondering if any of you know anything about how one could get a 78rpm stylus to fit into a Shure V15 Type 5 cartridge---without having to pay three or four hundred dollars for an original Shure. 'Decent' quality is ok for me....as I don't play 78's that often.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

300 I know nothing about. I need a picture of the cartridge.

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

is the 500 you ordered a 500 v3? They look different but I was under the impression they were still able to accept styli for the 500 or 500-II

11. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Grado mono cartridges are stereo cartridges adapted for stereo by turning the coil assembly about 45' and then internal summing of channels.

gilded.lilly and action pact like this.
  12. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

All Stanton 500 series and Pickering V15 / NP series (not XV-15) styli are cross-compatible even though they look quite different.

McLover and MrRom92 like this.
  13. action pact

Correct! And the guts are identical too.

I'm using a Stanton D5127 stylus with a Pickering NP/AC body for playing 78s.

MrRom92 likes this.
  14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The Stanton 300 is a rebadged AT 3600.

There is a 3 mil stylus available here made by Pfanstiehl or the same one could be found on the auction site, model 4211-D3
    Product Detail

15. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I'm 95% shure that the 3 mil stylus for a Type IV will fit the Type V, they make the 3 mil one generic enough to fit both - I THINK. One is here from EVG
    Product Detail
    Contact the owner of that site for specifics with your specific cart model number - he will know for shure. [yeah a pun]

16. The correct 78 rpm stylus for the NP/AC and Stanton 400 is the 4604-D3.

17. action pact

That's an aftermarket Pfanstiehl product number.

[​IMG]

Stanton's OEM product number was D5127.

[​IMG]

18. Yes. Aftermarket Pfanstiehl replacement stylus. The D5127 is for the 500-series Stanton. The Pickering NP/AC and The Stanton 400.V3 are the same. The 4604-D3 looks like my genuine Pickering PD07C replacement stylus, the D5127 does not. A compatibility chart shows that your D5127 should work in the Stanton 400.V3. I am a bit wary of using a stylus that looks different from what is in there already.
    Stanton D-5127 Replacement Stylus. Worlds Largest Selection of Needles. 1-800-229-0644.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A definitive post. Many archivists use this trick when one side of a groove wall is worn or damaged with mono material. Or one channel sounds better than the other does. I use the Shure M 44 platform myself, the Stanton 500 is also equally popular among 78 RPM users and archivist users.

20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

One needledrop trick I like that’s afforded by the use of a stereo cart, which goes beyond simple summing of both channels or selection of a single channel… extract the center, or everything that’s in-phase. Discard the difference. You’d be amazed how much noise in the signal can be cleared away without resorting to an invasive/artificact-prone NR process. Of course, you’ll want a well aligned cartridge and a tonearm with as low tracking error as you can afford for best results. Just a lil trade secret of mine, shh.

McLover and soundQman like this.
  21. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I intend to get a 2M 78, I can get it for under £90 and as the body is identical to the 2M mono I can get the Mono stylus at a later date, although I haven't heard the 78, the 2M Mono is excellent so I'd be very surprised if the 2M 78 isn't a good cart.

23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Great to hear

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Definitive 78 RPM cartridge, GE RPX.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  25. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

I also use the AT-3600L with a 4211-D3 on a separate head shell. Not bad for a $25 investment. I like fox trots or novelties. For fidelity the only choice is Les Paul 78s. Still have to turn the treble down and the bass up though.