Best affordable TV screen currently available?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

11 year old plasma?
    Thought they only lasted a few years.

2. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Still have a plasma I bought in 07. If you watch out for burn in they last.

hi_watt, Alan G., marcb and 1 other person like this.
  3. alexpop

No computer games / sports logo ?

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, I was initially nervous about that, but I have to say the upscaling is not that bad.

I have a 9-year-old Panasonic BT-300 42" plasma, and it's held up surprisingly well. We use it in a pinch as a backup in case things go to hell. But you do see the difference in sharpness between it (in HD) and the UHD OLED displays.

JackBnimble and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I own a B7 myself, but I would clarify just a bit that starting with the “8” series the B level LGs do have a lower grade processor, which will effect PQ as seen in video below.

That would make me recommend the C8/C9 over the B8/B9, as the PQ on the C series should be equal to LG’s too if the line sets. Cynically I think these downgrades are because everyone knew the B6 and B7 where just as good as the C range...

One more OLED buying tip, if you don’t feel like getting into the Black Friday frenzy, or missed out on the deals wait till LG announces the 10 series. At that point the 9’s should hit Black Friday prices again and there should be nobody in the stores to compete with.

6. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

If only I could get rid of my 34"Panasonic HD CRT.... (It still performs like new). Can't sell it. To through it away feels like a crime. The thing deserves better for it's reliability and performance.
    I would need 49" though, as I can't fit anything bigger in the niche, and we sit pretty close. 55" plasma in the cave works very well.

hi_watt and craig4755 like this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

We still have a G25 going strong with no signs of burn in, I think those were from around 2007 or 2008?

I was thinking of going OLED when our 65" ZT60 dies, but if the G25 is anything to go by that might not be happening anytime soon!

One of my friends still has a Kuro that has no burn in either and I don't think it has any degradation to the picture. Seeing that set over 10 years ago converted me to a videophile.

8. alexpop

Next step up ..,

Definitely 65“ ..contemplating 75“( 70“).

Are these OLED‘s build quality as good as TVs of yore?

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I had/have a 42” and 50” Panny plasmas bought back around then. They do still have good pictures, but the new OLED is better. Not a ton, but certainly better - especially with UHD.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not on mine. I was careful during initial use to not keep it on channels with static images for lengthy periods.

alexpop likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Forgot to add “...at Costco.”

12. zombiemodernist

How would you define build quality? As far as fit and finish, the LG ones are great, but if you mean durability, they are a bit fragile as the industrial design prioritizes the thinness of the screen. Certainly not the kind of tv to bang around.

marcb and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

Don’t leave the window open, gust of wind thing. Being thin, unrepairable I guess.

14. zombiemodernist

Haha I would just advise not moving it around roughly, transport it with two people, having tried it, they're almost impossible to carry solo. Despite being thinner, the LG OLEDs are a bit heavier than basic LED / LCDs in their size class thanks to the metal build. It's not like it's made out of porcelain, just a lot easier to break than LED/LCDs with thick plastic bezels. If you damage the display it will likely need a full replacement by LG which will be pretty costly. Can't imagine it being a problem unless you have rough kids around.

Overall if you really care about PQ I think you can't do much better than the LG OLEDs. The only "risk" is burn in which has been proven to be not much of an issue if you switch up content. If you're a gamer or 12 hour cable news watcher you'd likely be better off with an LCD, otherwise OLED is the best way to spend your cash.

JackBnimble, marcb and alexpop like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Agree with all of this. FWIW, I’ve had mine for maybe 6 months and have experienced no burn-in issue. The first week or so I tried to be cognizant of not staying on static images, but that obsession wore off pretty quickly. I am a channel flipper though which I suppose I can now rationalize as positive behavior.

JackBnimble and zombiemodernist like this.
  16. zombiemodernist

I've had mine for about 2.5 years, zero burn-in either. I do limit my time with video games (I only have a switch anyhow so most games with HUDs can easily be played handheld) and I don't watch live cable at all, but there's still plenty of static logos on streaming apps like Hulu that haven't caused any issues.

JackBnimble likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

My Samsung QLED TV upscales DVD's and Blu-ray disks wonderfully.

PTgraphics likes this.
  18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I have a 30” Samsung 1080i widescreen CRT I feel the same way about.

19. JackBnimble

No none. Never played games on it and always make sure not to keep it on a station that has those always on logos for extended periods of time. Will admit though that since I got a 4K Oled it does not get as much play as it used to.

alexpop likes this.
  20. JackBnimble

Me neither but when I do that is the set that gets used.

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Where, may I ask?

So you would recommend against getting a size larger than 55"? When I eventually get around to getting a 4K, I was planning on getting at least a 65".

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Cool blue lights. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I have a plasma from 2013, and it's still going strong! I routinely play video games. I keep an eye on it and make sure to turn it off if I'm not in the room and don't let it stay on the same screen for too long. I take care of it.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

What was the reason they killed off the plasma, not eco friendly or something?

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm not sure, but it has been far and away the best TV I have ever owned. It actually gives me pause to order a 4K TV, because I very likely won't be keeping my current plasma.

hi_watt, formu_la and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.