Best Amazon Marketplace Participant

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by coopmv, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Or if it arrives. I was waiting for weeks between Nov-Jan for something with those Tower pretenders.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Based on my experience with AM and even Amazon itself, the time it takes to receive the confirmation is not always correlated to when you will actually receive your order.

3. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Usually when I order from an Amazon Marketplace seller, I find I have to wait quite a while for the package to arrive. Definitely a longer wait time than say, most people on ebay. At least that's been my general experience.

But...I just had a really great transaction there with a seller called FOREVERYOUNGENTERTAINMENT. I was looking for an original Atlantic pressing of Yes' Drama CD. Typically there's not enough info in the listings to tell which version the seller has, and for this disc, there are 3 different US masterings out there. So I thought I would contact several of the Amazon sellers and send them a link to the image of the back insert so they could easily match it up and see if it was the right one. Now, this is a $2.50 CD we're talking about here, so of course most people blew me off and I didn't hear back from them. But this guy emailed me back within about 12 hours with a very personal response and said that yes, this was the disc, but he also reiterated what was stated in the item description, that the condition was "good", with plenty of scratches, but the disc played fine. Apart from being amazed that I had even heard back from someone, I couldn't believe it when the disc arrived in the mail 2 days after placing my order. And the disc is actually even in better condition than he described, which as we all know is not usually the case.

He appears to be a small seller (certainly nowhere near the level of a CAIMAN), so he might not have what you're looking for, but I really wanted to pass the word on because it is very rare that I find this level of attention to detail and prompt service from an online seller, and I figured a lot of people here would appreciate that.

4. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

webbcity - i for one will try to send them some business...thanks for the tip!

5. coopmv

Newbury Comics is still the best after I dumped Buy.com and went for Amazon MarketPlace some 9 months ago.

6. Caiman got me again. I knew better than to order from them but they had an item listed that is very hard to obtain and so I went for it. Of course they never actually had the item and so after waiting for over a month I got Amazon to refund my order.

7. coopmv

I have avoided Caiman since I started using Amazon MarketPlace over nine months ago on the advice of fellow forum members. From time to time, Caiman does seem to have something other vendors do not have. But based on my experience, if you wait a little, other vendors or Amazon may start to carry the item.

8. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I still haven't had any problems with Caiman, but I only order a half a dozen items a years from them. I don't think they're any better or worse than other vendors that deal in high volume sales. CD Universe is my main supplier - there's no one better IMO. :D

9. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

I have to update my assessment of Caiman. I had a recent problem and e-mailed them. They responded immediately (next day) amd offered a replacement - no return and no questions! That's a real turnaround for them - keep up the good work!

10. coopmv

I would still stay away from Caiman for now. I have noticed its rating is now at 94%, the highest I have seen so far. However, there are quite a few other MarketPlace vendors that have ratings over 95% and have consistently received positive reviews. The reviews for Caiman are still a bit spotty.

11. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

A 94% rating is still not that bad for a company that pushes product in the hundreds of thousands of units. The problem with Caiman is that they grew too fast without dealing with their original ordering/shipping issues (items not actually in stock, no batch shipping, etc), but I think they're actually getting better. They ship a lot faster than they used to.

12. coopmv

I have been buying mainly from Newbury Comics, your hometown MarketPlace vendor (Boston?) and a NE merchant. Ability to accurately track inventory is simply a reflection of a good computer system and the associated orders processing logistics. Amazon is clearly one of the best in this respect, though its prices are usually not the best.

13. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I generally avoid the big-time sellers who have less than about 96% feedback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.