Best app for playing music from network HD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thos, Nov 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thos

thos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi - I've got my music library on a WD MyCloud HD connected to my WIFI/router. I can access the music on the WIFI network using my iMac (and listen through iTunes or whatever)

I'd like to know what the best iPhone or Android music player app to use to play music off theWD MyCloud. There is a MyCloud app that works but it has flsws - the library is hard to browse, it uses the wrong images for artist photos, etc. and doesn't seem customizable.

I've tried a few other music player apps on my iPhone but none seem to work well. It's either hard to log in to access the MyCloud, or the music doesn't play, or the interface is confusing, or something.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good player app for this kind of use? I have an android tablet at the moment as well as an iPhone, and will probably get an iPad as well. Would really like the ease of being able to access my music library on those devices.

Thanks

Tom

2. thos

Also - the myCloud app does work OK, but won't play .aif files. So that's another consideration - finding a player that plays .aif and .wav

3. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

Check if the MyCloud supports UPnP.
    If so try Foobar or BubbleUPnP on Android.
    There are probably UPnP enabled apps for iOS as well

4. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I use BubbleUPnP, but the newer HiFiCast on Android seems really good to me, too. I would be using it if it supported my streamer (which uses OpenHome), but to play the music on your phone, that doesn't matter.

So try HiFiCast.

Melvin likes this.
  5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The MyCloud is a bit funky. To connect to my Sonos system you either need to turn it to a Plex server or use the MyCloud client within Sonos (but you don't see the artwork with the latter option). I've also found Plex to be a bit buggy but I make do.

6. thos

Thanks for your responses. I tried a few and Hi-Fi Cast seems like it's best for me, at least for now. Since my music library is not fully organized and always in a state of flux, one good thing is that there are multiple ways to browse (by artist, by album, by folder, etc) , and the search function works great as well.

Thanks again everyone. There is probably more I should learn (about Plex and UPnP, etc..) at some point, but this is working for me out of the box, so I'm good for now.

-Tom

7. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Is the Mycloud connected to the router via USB or ethernet cable?

8. thos

Hi ubiknik - It's connected via ethernet cabvle

ubiknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.