Best Black Sabbath reissues on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the 2015 Sanctuary reissues, I'm not sure what the consensus is on those here?

I'm not up for hunting out first pressings, so my question is - as the title says - what are the best Black Sabbath reissues on vinyl? And would it be worth getting those (whatever they may be) over the Santuary reissues?

deredordica likes this.
  2. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Yeah, would like to know as well, please advise.

3. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

It's so difficult finding reviews or details on these Sanctuary reissues, and more specifically, how they stack up against the Rhinos!

From what I have been able to find though across these forums and elsewhere, the consensus seems to be the following for the first 6 albums:

S/T: both Rhino and Sanctuary reissues seem to be solid. Haven't purchased yet, but will probably go with Sanctuary as it has the original UK track-listing (I'm in the minority of folks who prefer Evil Woman to Wicked World)
    Paranoid: due to War Pigs volume glitch, and the mastering being a little bright overall in the Rhino version, Sanctuary seems to be the way to go. I own it and it sounds great.
    MOR: Sanctuary seems to be the pick for MOR. I own it, and again, sounds great. Like Paranoid, the Rhino version is a little bright, apparently.
    Vol 4: Haven't heard the Sanctuary version (and haven't seen any reviews either, for that matter), but the Chris Bellman-cut Rhino version seems to be the winner here. I own it, and apart from an annoying pop every rotation for around 30 secs once the big opening riff hits, it sounds great....or at least as great as the infamously murky Vol 4 can sound.
    SBS: Chris Bellman Rhino version, all the way. Never heard this album (which wasn't one of my faves of the first 6) sound as good as it did until I heard Bellman's cut. Revelatory!
    Sabotage: As with S/T, haven't purchased this one either. I know about the tape glitch at start of Thrill Of It All, but apart from that, I have no idea which one to go for between Rhino and Sanctuary. May have to just go for the latter, as haven't seen much stock of the Rhino version here in Australia for this album.

Hope that helps a little bit! If either of you have heard any more since your posts, I'd love to know :)

4. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Picked up the Sanctuary S/T yesterday (this thread spurred me into action!) - and I can happily report that it's a really nice, dynamic pressing, with none of the apparent "brightness" of the Rhino, and solid bass. Recommended.
    Only Sabotage to go now... and there are numerous Sanctuary copies in the stores around Melbourne.... I can see myself caving in very soon.

AVphile likes this.
  5. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

You definitely want to with the Quality record pressing Reissues which sound amazing.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Really? So it would be better to nab the Quality records pressings vs the latest coloured vinyl releases. I really want to nab the Past Lives Quality pressing, have you heard it? Is it in any way an upgrade over the original CD?

7. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I bought a couple of the coloured vinly reissues, Master of Reality and Paranoid. They sound decent to me but I have nothing to judge by. I have an original US pressing of Vol 4 coming in the mail but where can I find these Sanctuary releases?

8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

This is solid advice.

The only thing I'd add, is this. Pierce did the Sanctuary re-masters up to MOR, and they are really good.
    At that point, he "supervised" and another guy (William Coehlo?, or something like that) took over from Vol. 4.
    The Sanctuary re-masters, imo, take a dip in quality at that point.

So bottomline, go Sanctuary up to MOR, and for Vol 4/SBS/Sabotage go with the Rhino Bellmans, that I believe are cut from the original US Warner vault tapes.

My experience with the Paranoid Sanctuary was quite good, and surprising.
    Sounded big time different than the US Warner releases.
    But my opinion is a bit colored by the fact that I generally listed to that album back in the day, on cassette, or listening to the radio, and was more than likely not particularly sober when listening to it.

AVphile and razorball like this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Most shops have them here in Montreal, as well as Amazon Canada.

10. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

cool yeah i found them on amazon though the only way i was able to determine it was a Sanctuary release was searching the ASIN in google.

11. Jorge Ferreira

Jorge Ferreira New Member

For the 1st one (black sabbath) what do you advise between Sanctuary and the new Rhino 2lp special edition? I've read that the 2017 SE rhinos are worst than the 2015 rhinos. What do you advise?

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Actually, that's a great way to search on Amazon, and pretty much gets you to the pressing you need.

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have two of the three Deluxe Edition LP's by Rhino, pressed by Quality Records and they are both excellent - this is S/T and Paranoid. I have the black vinyl, single LP Rhino pressing of Master Of Reality and it's decent. I got it for the poster really.

Don't have the rest but from what I've heard from several individuals here is, get the black vinyl Rhino's and/or the deluxe editions and pass on the colored vinyl Rhino LP's especially for Vol 4 on. Apparently the colored vinyl editions of the first three albums are the same mastering as the Deluxe LP's so they're good, but the later albums sound pretty poor according to many posters here.

14. Jorge Ferreira

Is this the deluxe edition you are talking?

Black Sabbath : Black Sabbath: Amazon.es: Música

15. dkmonroe

16. Jorge Ferreira

Today i've seen a video on YouTube with comparing the sound of this rhino deluxe ed. vs 2015 rhino reissue and it seemed to have a lower / muffet volume.

I'll post it here.

17. dkmonroe

I've seen that video. I don't have a copy of the 2015 but I have the deluxe edition and a NEMS pressing from 1976 and they are not strikingly different from one another. Many people here have spoken well of the 2015 pressing though, it's certainly a good choice.

18. Jorge Ferreira

Here it is the video:

See the test between the Rhino 2015 and the Rhino 2016 from 7:20 forward.

19. Jorge Ferreira

Correction ... on the video I posted the test is between Rhino 2010 reissue edition vs Rhino 2016 Deluxe reissue edition.

I think I will try to get a Rhino 2010 reissue edition instead of the new deluxe version.
    What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    latheofheaven likes this.
  20. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Does anyone know which are Analogue?
    I've herad that the Rhinos single LO are all digital or least enever confirmed analogue. The sticker does describe them as Laquers cut with analog tapes

And they used the US Masters, correct ?
    The Sanctuary releases where from UK Tapes ?
    Are those Analogue? Hey do sound great.

21. Jorge Ferreira

Rhino 2010 reissue of BS says from analog masters.

22. DoF

DoF Less is more...

What about Sanctuary reissue of Technical Ecstasy? Any good? The one with a CD.

23. Sondek

The Rhino 2016 (2012 remaster) of Vol.4 on CD sounds much better than the 2009 Sanctuary on vinyl or CD.
    I don't know if the Rhino 2012 remaster of Vol.4 is available on vinyl though. Does anyone else know?

24. Sondek

Is that the one I've mentioned on the above comment? (I think it is).

25. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

RHINO!

ArpMoog likes this.