Best Black Sabbath reissues on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Yes it is; I just saw one today.

Sondek likes this.
  2. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I just bought the 2016 Rhino (2012 remaster) of Master of Reality. One of my favorite songs from the album is “Children of the Grave”. However, on this reissue, the song sounds just wimpy. I love the blast of sound that occurs between each verse of the song. On this reissue, that “blast” is so subdued, that it’s hardly there at all. On YouTube, the Rhino reissue from 2010 seems far superior. I should note that I also own the 2016 Rhino reissue of the debut album, which I enjoy and sounds impressive to my ears.

3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yes, I also went back and got the 2010 Rhino pressing. When I recently looked up the Discogs information on it, I was rather disconcerted that the mastering was done by Ron McMaster, since I'm not wild about his work. BUT... I very much do like this pressing of the first album. I remember after reading here extensively that I was persuaded to go back and get this pressing. But, there are those here who really like the 2016 coloured one done by Sean Magee.

4. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Was "Born Again" ever re-issued on LP outside of the German release from last year?

5. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

What about SBS Sanctuary LP reissue? Is it worth?

6. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

For that one, I'd advise you to get the Bellman cut, from Rhino (2010 I think). It's superb.

Sear and latheofheaven like this.
  7. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

I see JP on the deadwax of my MOR 2015 by BMG/ Sanctuary... who's Jp? Or is that a Pearce cut?

8. damnit

damnit Great Cd Mastering Only Please

I have that one too the one with the cd
    I haven't listened to it yet
    Do you like the way it sounds?
    I think Pearce oversaw the first 3 from what I read in an earlier post
    Here is the guy who did the first 3 Jörg Peters no mention of Andy Pearce

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    marcelbr likes this.
  9. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Yes, the clarity is really good, and it's not overly bright (some people tend to confuse it). I like the way I can hear Ward's cymbal machine on the left side on After Forever. Drums and guitars sound really natural. But I don't have any other vinyl pressings to compare to, except for the SACD. But overall I'm pleased.

10. damnit

Ok cool
    Might have to open mine and listen to it then LOL
    See my above post I made an edit
    I have been trying to find more info on these pressings

marcelbr likes this.
  11. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

So have I. I got mine in England last year not knowing if it was any good. But I like it, I just found it a little dull compared to my Wwa Paranoid, but that's another album. Please share your thoughts on your title.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  12. damnit

I have Paranoid and MOR I will give them a listen when I have some spare time
    Anyone else have some info/thoughts on these?

13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Talking about a later album like TE . Why not just buy a original vertigo ? they can be had nm in the same price
    range as the reissue and sound better. I get the first 6 being more coin and harder to obtain these days but the last 2 with OZ are cheap.

latheofheaven likes this.
  14. damnit

I have 3 different pressings of TE myself
    The Original Vertigo
    The 2013
    and 2016
    They all sound great!!!!
    The 2013 is interesting as it has far less reverb on it
    Gives the album a different sound
    The 2016 sounded better than I thought it would even if it is digitally sourced

Soundslave likes this.
  15. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Ive got 5 although on differ formats.
    WB cd
    WB cass
    WB record
    UK Vertigo record.
    UK Castle or sanctuary 2001 record.

16. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Could you please comment on your 2001 Castle?
    I've got their S/t on the way...

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I will play it over the next couple days . I think all those were cut from digital copies of the masters.
    Seems nothing Sab wise has been cut analog since the 80's.
    I am not a authority on the subject. It must sound ok I kept it. Dmm maybe ?
    I think I have all of that 2001 run but some I think are the Earmarks I know SBS is a Ear because I just had that
    one out. I have two many copies of Sab maybe. I had some Sab 8 tracks including a few still sealed but gifted them to a Sab friend
    who is into 8 tracks. I gave up on that format.

18. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I don't really mind if they are digitally mastered as long as it's a good mastering job. There's a guy on youtube, Ron Beaudry, if I'm not mistaken, saying good things about that Castle series... apparently they're sourced from the uk tapes, which is something I like about them.

19. damnit

Have a few cd versions too
    Original WB
    W German Vertigo

20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Took a listen and the Castle is ok it won't kill you but when you follow it up with real deal is when you really hear what your missing.
    EVERYTHING about the Vertigo was better.
    Mr Beaudry, another youtuber spreading ill informed info whats not to love.
    Castle is obviously from a digital source and I cant say how they compare to all the other digital reissues out there.
    Hope this helps.

marcelbr likes this.
  21. damnit

Most complain the digital reissues are a lot brighter
    Sound about right?

22. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Bright , Cold , this aspect actually fits TE. Less dynamics on the drums.
    I will stop here as I don't want to work my self up.
    I also don't want to blow this out of proportion they are not terrible
    and make great daily drivers which is why I bought them to keep play
    to special moments on the originals. I'm not like this with all bands
    just a handful that are sacred to me.
    I will forever be frustrated that we can't get a one and done AAA of the 8
    That takes care of business.

23. damnit

The Bellman reissues seem to be or sound AAA for Vol4,SBS and Sabotage

latheofheaven likes this.
  24. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I think they are all tape to files not one is AAA

25. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

They make a high resolution copy of the master tape to work it digitally. Nowadays for safety reasons: those tapes are too important to be played back over and over. But....digital mastering is not a novelty in the vinyl world. In the 80s, a lot of recordings had a touch of digital, whether in the recording, mixing or most commonly, mastering part. Rush's masterpiece Moving Pictures was actually recorded digitally in cd resolution (but that's an extreme case) but nobody complained in 1982. My point is, if it's well done, it doesn't matter to me. The mixing and mastering are far more important than the source used. If you want AAA Sabbath, you need to find clean copies of the early pressings. It's a crapshoot. Knowing what Sean Magee, Steven Wilson, Kevin Gray, Chris Bellman and a few others can do with the hi-res copies, I'd rather stick with a newer pressing, silent and great sounding. Also, mastering for vinyl is a completely different story... besides the greater care taken for its target audience, you end up with a superior product, smoother and more dynamic, because the whole cutting process that has to follow strict rules. Then, your cartridge will give it the final coloration. You got to ask yourself... do you want AAA all the time because you can hear the difference or for the placebo effect?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    AVphile and Geee! like this.