Best book about Jim Morrison and The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Oct 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I haven't, no. I actually haven't read a Morrison book in years.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The long text interviews with bodyguard Vince were good. Not sure if he was interviewed with any books.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Yes, this was my indoctrination into the Doors' legend. Great bibliography as well, much like the Guralnick books on Elvis.

Very much enjoyed Ray and John's books since, as well.

timind likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

The Associated Press uses colorized photos of Jim in Rolling Stone?

Anyone else snicker when they read "28 newly discovered notebooks"? The "sexy Jim" photo on the cover of his poetry is a big cringe.

Anthrax likes this.
  5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I hate to admit it, but yes. :laugh:

Long live The Doors, their associates, and the whole lot's unparalleled skills at recentlydiscovering!

timind likes this.
  6. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Do you mean Tony Funches? "The" Vince was The Doors road manager.. Got a link?

Anyway, here's the interview I was referring to. It was very enjoyable.

7. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Densmore’s Unhinged was pretty good.

8. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

This project has been ongoing for a few years.

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Why is it cringe-worthy?

10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Shawn likes this.
  11. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Lisciandro's book followed by Densmore's & Ray.

Of course you'll "hate Jim Morrison the person" if you read trash by Stephen Davis & Mick Wall.

HaulSudson, rokritr and MortSahlFan like this.
  12. SoundAdvice

Jim's poetry reading NOT does get a physical release? How much was recorded, as I've heard as much as 10 hour session?

By all accounts Jim hated the Tiger Beat pin up stuff after a year or so and preferred to be known for poetry. Drinking and the beard was him getting away from it. This cover does not distinguish itself from the other 100 Jim books on the shelf.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b3/aa/b5/b3aab5dcb2343b29361703ee43c93057.jpg
    Poetry session. Oliver Stone movie used a similar shirt.
    [​IMG]

Poetry session was done with a beard. Paris was half and half beard. Lots of California poetry writing/publishing was beard era. Photo of Jim with beard in Paris, though most of the other ones are scruffy Jim.
    WelcomeTo Love Street: Image

[​IMG]
    Much classier, as is American Prayer album cover. I'm sure the thinking is since they can't use the word "Doors" on the cover they have to go with the Tiger Beat Jim photos.

Shawn, Anthrax and D-rock like this.
  13. Body Electric

Body Electric Active Member

Can't believe I didn't mention...but my favorite Doors book remains The Doors on the Road by Greg Shaw: https://www.amazon.com/Doors-Road-G...s+on+the+road+greg+shaw&qid=1614687497&sr=8-1

While not a bio per se, it's the entire live history of the band and is priceless. Written well before a lot of new tapes and official live releases appeared, it's clear Shaw had access to a wealth of material that fans were dying to hear.

Cannot recommend that book enough.

fishcane, D-rock and MortSahlFan like this.
  14. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Danny Sugerman's Wonderland Avenue is worth a look. Although the book is not wholly devoted to Morrison and the band, it does take up a fair chunk of it.

D-rock likes this.
  15. MortSahlFan

I love this book! It makes a great companion when you're listening to all The Doors concerts on YouTube (especially those ones with really bad audio)

Is it "honest"?

16. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Another vote for the Densmore book. I loved Manzarek but he played up the Morrison as shaman or Greek god angle too much. Densmore and Krieger have always done a great job of humanizing Morrison.
    I know No One Here gets picked apart now but it was a must read for teenagers in the 80's. As biography it's not objective or particularly accurate but it is entertaining.
    I believe we are still waiting for the definitive Morrison/The Doors biography.

Shawn and D-rock like this.
  17. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Another vote for John Densmore's "Riders On The Storm."

But that's not just coming from me. None other than Pulitzer Prize winner Greil Marcus singles out Densmore's book as the best Doors book in his own book, "The Doors: A Lifetime Of Listening To Five Mean Years," from 2011.

That said, I would avoid the Marcus book, which I found to be rambling and unfocused.

PS: Some of the best writing I remember about the Doors came in the form of a 1981 special edition of Creem magazine dedicated to the band. It had current articles looking back on the group, plus reviews and write-ups the mag did when the group was around. I wish I'd kept this issue.

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  18. Lots of great Doors' reading:

The Doors on the Road byGreg Shaw

The Stories Behind the Songs by Chuck Crisafulli

The Doors: A Guide by Doug Sundling

The Doors: A lifetime of Listening to Five Mean Years by Greil Marcus

Glimpses by Lewis Shiner

Waiting for the Sun by Barney Hoskyns

What is/are the best book(s) on The Doors? - reprint

19. Body Electric

Body Electric Active Member

The Densmore book is essential...put it this way, I will still break out my copy and read it. The Manzarek book...fans should read but I sold it used a long time ago and don't miss it. I remember it being very bitter, especially toward Densmore and toward Oliver Stone (apparently a "fascist"). And yes, it was way too much babble about the chi, about Dionysus, etc.

Also, while Densmore acknowledges that Morrison was an alcoholic but that they didn't have a good path to help him, Manzarek goes on about the "Jimbo" persona to account for Morrison's drinking, destructive side. Seems like a coping mechanism for someone traumatized by addiction (in this case of a close friend).

I remember Ray's book also spends most of the time leading up to the debut album and the first year of success ('67), but just blows through the last couple of years...that drove me nuts.

Shawn likes this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Great book. Missing at least one show(at Marist college) that I know of, cuz my dad was there

21. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Gonzo-a-gogo, Revolver and Shawn like this.
  22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Another vote for John Densmore's first book. I found Manzarek's book pretty hard to stomach.

I used to read anything I came across on The Doors/Morrison, and did it from the 80s till about 2010. After all those years and wasted hours, I came to the conclusion that "Break on Through" by Riordan & Prochnicky, and "Riders on the Storm" by Densmore are the best and probably all anybody needs, with the addition of Hervé Muller's "Jim Morrison au-delà des Doors" for the Paris part. The rest are all varying degrees of fun/bs.

geo50000 and D-rock like this.
  23. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I remember a particular factual error in that book:

The Doors performed at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970. According to the book when they arrived to the festival, Richie Havens was on stage and was playing really well. However, Havens actually played last, long after the Doors performed. In fact, the Doors were probably long gone by the time Richie Havens came on.

Sear likes this.
  24. MortSahlFan

I'm reading "The Lizard King Was Here" - The Life And Times of Jim Morrison in Alexandria, Virginia

The author seems to actually CARE about facts, and points out the typical lies in a few books we've probably all read. He's careful before going into certain cases, and will either quote, or let the reader know "There's no evidence of this, but...".

The only complain I have after 121 pages is there's too much focus of non-Morrison stuff, like the history, or buildings from a hundred years ago.

I think I've read almost 15 Jim Morrison books, and the only ones I'd recommend are:
    -Friends Gathered Together
    -Summer With Morrison
    -John and Ray's books (John's are much better)

and the one I just mentioned. I have "Summer's Gone" remaining, as well as one I've been saving for last (the "witch")

rokritr, anastasios and Soundslave like this.
  25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'd love to see a Day-by-Day book done with detailed recording sessions and dates including all concerts, TV appearances, chart positions, public appearances and other information. Along the lines of the Beatles book and Sandoval's Monkees Day-By-Day book.

Shawn and MortSahlFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.