Best Budget Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is the Clearaudio Concept, the best budget TT in the market today. If not what is it you think.

[​IMG]

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

That one in the picture with the Satisfy arm pushes $2000, not sure most around here would call that budget :)

John Murray, PATB, vconsumer and 6 others like this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Depends on your definition of "budget." Under $1K, I think it's the Pioneer PLX-1000. Under $2K, it's probably the Technics 1200GR - and that's coming from a fan of belt-drives. :yikes:

4. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I would never think of that Clearaudio as a budget turntable. I though this thread would be about $300 decks.

5. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

[​IMG]

Sound

The Primary E has a familiar look, from the 22cm tonearm and Ortofon MM cartridge to the effortless set-up of the near-plug-and-play design.

As you might expect from a similarly specified machine, the Primary E has an entertainingly musical performance akin to the Primary’s, too.

While our sonic expectations are rightfully tempered for a £150 turntable, the Primary E’s priority seems to be entertainment.

Sure, there are glimpses of dynamic insight and subtlety to its presentation, but it doesn’t try to walk before it can run.

The Primary E confidently nails the basics, from an even tonal balance to a delivery that’s clear and clean and spacious enough to keep things coherent.

Decent body and substance cling reliably to every frequency, and that’s made all the more enjoyable by a spirited sense of drive and momentum. - What Hi Fi

[​IMG]

AudioTechnica LP3

"An almost-all-in-one, budget turntable that treats your records as music and not a mere curiosity." What Hi-Fi Award Winner 2017

Automatic for the people
    The Audio Technica LP3 is a fully automatic turntable. This means that, unlike manual decks, there's no need to lift the tonearm on or off the record or change the speed by moving the belt. All playback requires is a push of a button or two.

Sounds great
    Where the LP3 improves on other fully automatic turntables is in its sound quality. Audio Technica is a leading vinyl company and, with the LP3, their experience shines through. The anti-resonance design reduces distortion while the die-cast platter ensures pitch stability and smooth running.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The "best" is hard to say. But it should easily hang with any at it's price point. And the black version is a handsome table IMO.
    If you need a dust cover you'll need to factor that into the price.

John Murray likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

Wha tha'!!!!! :D

CrazyCatz likes this.
  8. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

There have been numerous threads recently covering every turntable below $2500. I think another one is a bit redundant!

jeff

Davey likes this.
  9. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ooops, you are right, I got the wrong photo obviously, I meant the concept with the standard verify tonearm.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Well, as a package deal, it's hard to beat the Marantz TT-15S1 that's been typically traded for around $1200 with a decent cartridge and Clearaudio Satisfy tonearm. Most of the decks below that price have some form of noise or reliability problem. The German-made Thorens TD-206/209 has been seen down in that price range too, some of them being offered with Ortofon 2M Bronze. The new Technics looks to be a big presence in that ~$1000 range too, though production has been pushed to Malaysia and it's still a few months out.

11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

True dat. Even the more 'basic' Clearaudio TT at $1600 ain't what most ppl would call 'budget'... though okay, it's within reach.

But some ppl have 'interesting' perspectives that way. I was in a thread somewhere on YT where some guy was dissing the Michell Orbe as 'low end' ($6000 TT). :sigh:

He was also saying the Dohmann Helix ($40,000 TT) was where it's at. Rich-guy lack of perspective or just mere internet fronting? You decide.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    JohnCarter17 and Helom like this.
  12. David M.

David M. Well-Known Member

I’m excited to see what the Schiit Sol will do for $699 + cart. A 2M Blue still puts it under $1K. Hardly “budget” in the truest sense, but rumored to be very high value.

t3chnobrat and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

Money does funny things to folks. Just look at Hollywood's perception of the working class - apparently they/we all live in 7 figure homes.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  14. Cyclone Ranger

Yes, I have high hopes for the Sol as well.

A $700 'Rega Planar 3-killer' would definitely rewrite the price-performance rules.

David M. likes this.
  15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I think best quality, but a budget TT is around $500+. Had to beat a Pioneer PLX-1000 with direct drive at $600.

CrazyCatz and Stanton56 like this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Technics SL1200 MK7 at 999 might be the new standard for under 1K. More reviews should be coming in.

17. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Not to pile on here, but to me a budget turntable would be starting at a price of around $300.oo or so and there are several good ones out there at the price point. There are a few good ones in the $200.00 range too. Others might say $99.00 defines a budget model. To me the desired characteristic would be an inexpensive TT that performs well and doesn't chew up your records. The Concept is a great TT and I almost bought the Concept Active with the built in preamp section and a tonearm upgrade, but I would never consider even the base Concept as a budget model for most.

I dropped about 6k on my TT and preamp and to me I feel this is just dipping my toes into the low end of high end audio. Low end/high end if you will. I always bought more turntable than I could really afford to help protect my LP's. But for many folks what I paid is 10x what they can or will spend on a TT. The Concept is dipping its toes in those waters too. It is an entry point into high end audio.

CrazyCatz and Airbus like this.
  18. Roger Beltmann

Roger Beltmann Old...But not obsolete

To me a budget turntable is $300 or less. My AT-LP120 has served me well for over 3 years now. The only problem I've encountered is the hydraulic damping went bye bye after a few months. The new Crosley advanced series turntables are a real bargain. I purchased a C200a direct drive turntable on a whim. Its performance and quality of playback are amazing for the price ($170). I've owned it for 5 months now and it's my primary workhorse turntable. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

19. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

My version of "budget turntable" is also in the $200-$500 range. While there are quite a few products in this price range that I believe give very enjoyable results, I'm confident/hopeful that none of them perform as well as the Clearaudio Concept table posted in the O.P.

20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Clearaudio Concept is a $1400 turntable. Not a budget TT.

21. Slick Willie

It's all relative.
    One man's end game may be another's starting point.

22. Cyclone Ranger

Correct. For most ppl/middle-class ppl, the Concept would be much closer to an endpoint 'table than a starter or budget one.

John Murray likes this.
  23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You got that right!!!!!

Slick Willie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.