Best Buy deal in store

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mike1055, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident Thread Starter

went by my local Best Buy (Rockaway, NJ) on the way home from work today. They had a small cardboard dump bin display marked Clearance. Not much I wanted but did pick up the Deluxe Edition of Scott Weilands "Happy in Galoshes" for $4.99 and "Monterey Pop" Criterion Collection Blu-ray for $9.99. If this post belongs someplace else please move.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ironic. I went to my local Best Buy, East Hanover, NJ on the way home from work (drive right by it), and there was a clearance bin with a bunch of stuff. They had 3 copies of the Queen "The Cosmos Rocks" limited edition box set (vinyl, CD, DVD and vinyl copies of Queen II, Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races and Sheer Heart Attack) all marked down from $119.00 to 9.99!!!!

I had a $5.00 rewards coupon (the one they sent me as a rewards member to get me in the store - since the actual value was unknown until you scan it at a store).

So anyway, I purchased the Queen box for $4.99. I know that the vinyl versions are probably not great, but I couldn't pass it up for $4.99.

I may go back tomorrow and actually look to see what else was in the bin (didn't really look - was in a hurry).

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

For no real reason I stopped into my local BEST BUY today and I just had this gut feeling wash over me, that this box store company is on their way out. I had the same feeling about BORDERS a few years ago. Best Buy really has nothing much left to offer me these days, along with the sad excuses of a music department at both TARGET & WALMART. I personally feel that once BEST BUY goes, it has to truly spell the end of physical media at any box stores.

4. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Nice! At $5, or even $10, that's got to be a steal!

5. :sigh::thumbsup:

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Wow. Might have to stop in one sometime soon. It's been a couple years.

7. I read in a recent article that BB is banking on Smart Phones and Tablets saving their hide. I wish them the best of luck.

8. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Wow, when their competition is going to include temporary mall kiosks... Yeah, they're going down.

9. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

My local Best Buy has a new "clearance" bin as well. Based on my limited recollection, here's what I saw:

--Beatles "Help!" 2DVD set with hardback book, posters, etc. $9.99
    --Scott Weiland deluxe CD/DVD $4.99
    --Lots of Best Buy exclusive CD/T-shirt combo packs, I specifically remember Linkin Park and Staind $4.99
    --A relatively new Henry Rollins 2CD set $4.99
    --A Grateful Dead DVD that was $9.99 with the original $39.99 sticker still showing
    --A live U2 DVD (not an official Island Records release... a dodgy import of an 80s European show
    --Lots of rap CDs $.99
    --The "new" (2011) Gang of Four CD $4.99
    --The Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps soundtrack (?) .99

Generally, most deluxe stuff was $4.99 and most single CDs were .99, with the exception of some of the newer single CDs which were also 4.99.

Remember that conspiracy theory from late last year that said the CD would be "phased out" by the end of 2012? That might not exactly be the case, but it does look like this Christmas season might be the last gasp for CDs on the brick-and-mortar front.

10. The one store I visited had this clearance bin by the front checkout line. I saw nothing of the caliber from name artists mentioned in previous posts. The only thing I saw were numerous Spanish-language CDs marked at .99 and a smattering of Pop CDs marked at $4.99. It was total junk at this location.

11. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Best Buy has a mobile store in the mall where I live.

12. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I always wondered what happens if you buy something from one of their vending machines and it takes your money but you don't get your product. It's one thing to not have a $1 bag of chips drop, but what about a $300 iPod? :D

[​IMG]

13. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

That Gang Of Four cd is very good and easily worth $4.99.

14. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! I just picked up that Queen box for $9.99. Not bad for 5 albums on 180g, a CD and DVD.

Also picked up all for $0.99 each:
    BoDeans/Indigo Dreams
    Prince/Rainbow Children (not sure if it's worth the $0.99, but why not)
    Nicholas Tremulis/Little Big Songs
    Nicholas Tremulis/Pinky
    The Woggles/Rock and Roll Backlash
    The Maggots/Monkey Time
    KO and the Knockouts/ST

The last three are on Little Steven's Wicked Cool label.

The Anderson rep told me to keep checking as they're going to continue marking down bigger box sets in the coming months.

15. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

16. I stopped in Best Buy last night to see if they had any of the recent Beach Boys remasters - much to my surprise they had about five copies of each title! Who would have thought Best Buy would be carrying Smiley Smile or Surf's Up in 2012. And for $9.99 each.

But the overall CD selection was similar to that of Target's. Considering the three full CD discount bins I saw who can blame them - if CDs aren't moving at $5 then I can understand why they aren't carrying them any longer.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Best Buy brought in the $4.99 garbage cans of CDs for Black Friday last year, and they've kept them at my local stores. They have additional $4.99 CDs on shelves. A lot of the discs are budget compilations, but there are some good albums mixed in. Of course, there is practically no jazz or classical music.

18. serge

serge Forum Resident

its beeen like a decade since i got a good deal at best buy

19. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Stopped by mine -- some $4.99 CDs and DVDs, but no huge clearance. They may be taking the Borders route, where clearances happened only at stores they were going to target to close. That didn't work out so well for Borders.

20. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Just to clarify, the "clearance" bin is different from the $4.99 bins containing the same $4.99 CDs you can get everywhere. These clearance items are bigger box sets (ie Queen, the Beatles) and BB exclusives that are seriously marked down.

But yeah, some Best Buys don't even have a CD section any more, so I know this doesn't apply to all stores...

21. Thurenity

I guess you missed the online vinyl markdowns in March. :( Oh man that was crazy!

I actually took a drive over to my local BB, and even though the big clearance bins are there (and have been for some time) the boxed sets are still full priced. At least for now.

22. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Found one GREAT deal for $4.99 - The XTC "Apple Box" four disc set!

Plus a few other deals:
    * Massive Attack's "Collected", cd + dual disc set. the cd layer of the dual disc is different than the cd itself.
    * John McLaughlin - To The One
    * Nick Lowe - The Brentford Trilogy (3 cds - The Impossible Bird, Dig My Mood, The Convincer)
    * Mike Stern - Paris Concert Blue Ray
    * Glen Campbell - Ghost on the Canvas (vinyl)

Looked for some of the previously mentioned titles like the Monterey Pop Criterion Blue Ray and the Queen Box, but no luck. I guess different stores are getting different inventory...

23. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Just got back. No clearance bin.

1 Queen box on the shelf - $119.99. About 15 Weiland deluxes in the CD section - $19.99. Took them to the checkout for a price check - Queen was $9.99 and Weiland was $4.99. So, even if they don't have a section set up, the prices are in the system.

24. Thurenity

Oxford Valley PA store - had two Queen boxed sets, not marked down. Took one to the front, and sure enough it's $9.99. The General Manager took the other one, so likely there's no more at that store. :D

For the heck of it I pulled out a U2 and Beach Boys Boxed Set as well, but they rang up at full price. Thanks OP, and thanks ginchopolis!

25. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I was driving past Best Buy the other day on my way to Newbury Comics to pick up a few more Beach Boys remasters but for some reason I decided to stop in there first. I'm glad I did! On Tuesday, Newbury Comics had the BB remasters on sale for $12.88 so I picked up the ones I really wanted (Today, Summer Days and Smiley Smile). Best Buy had them all on sale and surprisingly, in stock for only $9.99 apiece (cheaper than anywhere online)! I was back at Best Buy this morning and they were all still there so I must be the only one buying them! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.