Best Buy deal in store

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Mike1055, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Ok, I think I officially give up.

I went to the Cutler Bay/Miami Best Buy and no box sets were marked down. I had an employee scan a Pink Floyd/Wish You Were Here - Immersion Box Set, just in case, and it came up at regular price. I did pick up a few single CDs for .99 cents, Prince, Dolly, The Crystal Method.

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I think there will less bargians to be had once,
    bestbuy goes out of business.

3. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

To the Long Island members out there: Westbury LI location (Old Country Road) still has a few Queen boxed sets as of this evening. Priced at 9.99, but ringing up at the register at 99 cents. :eek:

It also looks like pretty much any vinyl is also ringing up at 99 cents -- assuming your BB even has any single vinyl LP's left anymore. Smile Sessions are not however, at least not yet.

4. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

My nearest BB had a copy of the Queen box on the small shelf now dedicated to odd or oversized box sets. It turned out that it scanned at 0.99 (99 cents) rather than 9.99. I am thrilled to have the four Queen titles on vinyl from the 70s, all of them are flat and unscuffed, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Will watch the Paul Rodgers concert DVD out of curiosity, but don't anticipate keeping the Queen MAch II stuff or the box itself. Pretty sweet deal, though what it implies is good netiher for rock artists and those of us who still like shopping for rock music at brick and mortars.

I lost a bet with the cashier that they had stuffed several copies of GNR Chinese Democracy into the Queen box too, just to get rid of them.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

The GNR Chinese Democracy CDs are selling at the Dollar Tree stores (w/Best Buy stickers).

6. poidog

poidog Senior Member

Most everyhing dropped to ,$99 today. There were just a few that didn't. And the titles are in the system at these prices. If your store hasn't gone through the process of pulling the product and marking down the cd's yet you should ;ook on the regular shelves.

7. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

These bins don't exist in Mass, just the regular $4.99 CD/DVD bins ($7.99 for Blu-ray)

8. Thurenity

FYI, I can confirm that the "Help!" 2DVD boxed is now 99 cents. My local store had one left, price unchanged, but it rang up at 99 cents (the cashier had to get a manager to allow me to even buy it). But over in Customer Service, it sounded like the BB employees themselves are buying some of these, not that I blame them.

Curious if anyone can confirm if any other boxed sets are showing up as 99 cents, besides this and the Paul Rodgers / Cosmos Rocks one? Also, if you snatched the Cosmos Rocks at 9.99, your store may Price Match to 99 cents now (mine just did). I price checked the Harrison one, but it was still regular price.

This clearance is complete madness -- anyone know why Best Buy would drop the prices so low, so quickly? Why not 50% off to start?

9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I checked out the Cornell/Tannasbourne Best Buy here in Hillsboro, Oregon, last week, and the selection was worthless. I couldn't find any vinyl at all, and just a couple of aisles of CDs (all regular-priced as far as I could tell, and mostly top 40 or greatest hits compilations). There was a large "garbage pail" filled up with clearance-priced discs, but I decided not to take the time to "dumpster dive" just to see if there was anything worth getting a price-check to see if it would ring up for $0.99. (Nothing on the top layer was worth a penny, to me.)

I don't mean to sound snobby. I've spent hundreds (thousands?) of hours rifling through various collections of clearance/used/discounted discs and LPs, spanning across decades. It's just annoying to me that Best Buy (at least the manager of the location I visited) seemed to specifically pick the most humiliating vessel to hold these clearance discs. It's like someone said it's time to clear out all the music media, one person suggested setting up tables, and someone else overruled them and said we have to dump them all into a garbage pail and make customers humiliate themselves, rumps up in the air, to dive in and dig for the deals.

Craig.

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Still no luck with the Queen box or any of the dvds at my local store.

Picked up the following cds, all 99 cents apiece:

Puscifer - V is for...
    Embrace - Out of Nothing
    Echo & the Bunnymen - Breaking the Back of Love
    Sarah McLachlan - Remixed
    Walter Becker - Circus Money
    Diana Krall - From This Moment On
    Lenny White - Anomaly
    The Church - Untitled #23 (already own this one, just couldn't let it sit there on rack for 99 cents!)
    Little Steven's Underground Garage - Coolest Songs in World Vol 1

11. Thurenity

"Out of Nothing" -- such a great album! If I had seen it, I would have bought it like how you bought the CD from The Church. :D

12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Just snagged 3 Queen boxes for a grand total of $2.97.

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Wonder when they will start blowing out more of the Besy Buy exclusive stuff like the Stones "Some Girls" and new Joe Walsh with the t-shirt?

14. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

This!

15. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I checked a local store that had the Pearl Jam Ten box and the Hendrix Winterland box - both came up at the regular price.

16. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Same here, and they also price matched the one I bought 2 weeks ago for $9.99

17. Thurenity

Thanks. I also had them check the Smile Sessions boxed set and it was still coming up at full price, yesterday.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if these discounted items show up on the BB website when you check store inventory? I'm ready to scour all of the BB's in my area for the Help! DVD set, but it's listed as unavailable there. I wasn't expecting the price to show, just checking to see if anyone had it.

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

That's good to know, I may bring mine back to price match also.

20. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

The cashier said you have 30 days from date of purchase. Hey, ten bucks is ten bucks.

21. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Tonight I'll visit my local BB again to see if they have these deals. No luck last time I tried.

22. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

At my local Best Buy, I grabbed a Queen box off the shelf... it had a price sticker for $119.99 on it.

I took it to the register and it rang up at $0.99. The cashier interpreted this to be a pricing mistake and called the store manager. The store manager had him manually enter the SKU and, again, it rang up for $0.99. The store manager then came to the register, went through the same protocol, but used a manual override to re-set the price to $119.99. He seemed genuinely confused that I wasn't willing to pay $119.99 for this box, but then explained he couldn't sell it to me for $0.99 as it was an "obvious" pricing error.

Oh well.

23. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Amazing. What is the point of these deals if they are not marked on the shelf and their own employees are unaware of them?

24. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I wasn't really surprised that it was perceived to be a pricing error. I mean, who believes it isn't a pricing error?

If I believe all the prior posts (and I do) I think most Best Buy employees simply accept the "system" prices as gospel. The store manager I dealt with did not. Kudos to him I suppose. Grrrr. Whatever. :)

25. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Kings of Leon LP : Because of the Times
    Escape the Fate : CD/T-shirt
    Linkin Park : CD/T-shirt
    Shooter Jennings & Hierophant : Black Ribbons
    Jill Sobule : Underdog Victorious
    Heart : Jupiters Darling
    Fairport Convention : Meet On The Ledge
    Elliot Smith : Roman Candle
    Elliot Smith : from a basement on the hill
    Loggins & Messina : Live Sittin' in Again at the Santa Barbara Bowl