Best Cactus albums...Tim Bogart

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlm86, Jan 15, 2021.

1. jlm86

jlm86 From Hank to Hendrix Thread Starter

I am researching Tim Bogarts career and want to explore Cactus ...

What are your fav albums?

Thank you

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well, there aren’t many, so it will be easy:

Cactus
    One Way or Another
    Restrictions
    ‘Ot ‘n’ Sweaty (half studio/half live)

There’s the Barely Contained set, from Rhino, which has all of the studio stuff from above.
    Then there are the 2 Fully Unleashed sets, from Rhino Handmade, which includes the half live side from ‘Ot ‘n’ Sweaty plus rounding up a few scattered live tracks and 2 unreleased live gigs.

The Barely Contained and Fully Unleashed sets may cost a bit of $ but it will cover your needs.

Cactus on Atco is worth seeking out. I recommend Restrictions, if you can find one with “Sterling RL” in the dead wax.
    You can’t go wrong with Cactus

MYQ1, mikmcmee, Pandrew79 and 8 others like this.
  3. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Maybe start with how to spell his name.

jrice, groundharp, hi_watt and 3 others like this.
  4. jlm86

jlm86 From Hank to Hendrix Thread Starter

Thank you..sorry about misspelling his name

5. pool_of_tears

I didn’t even notice, to be honest. Apology not necessary.

6. Sa likes this and

Sa likes this and Forum Resident

I mean... they only have 4 albums from their heyday, (which are all great) so it's hard to go wrong.

If you're purchasing vinyl keep an eye out for RL versions, I bought one on accident and was absolutely blown away, and they're regular price right now...

hi_watt and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The first reunion album (with the three-then surviving members), Cactus V is a lot of fun.

8. The first three Cactus lps are essential. Buy with confidence

9. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

No Son of Cactus though that one sucks.

hi_watt and Motorcity supernaut like this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Unless you're a huge Mike Pinera fan, but nobody from the classic Cactus lineup is on it. Always wondered why this was released as a Cactus album at all. (other than that one of the new guys from the previous album is there)

11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

My favorite is Restrictions.

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

My favourite is One Way... or Another, probably because it was the first I heard and the only one I had for a long time (the European version with the different cover).

If you just want to check them out Cactology: The Cactus Collection is a nice compilation. But since they don't have that many albums just getting the first three with the original lineup is also just as easy. That Rhino Handmade set, also reissued on Wounded Bird, is extremely expensive in both versions, there are several other options. There are for example in print 2-fers on Hear No Evil (part of Cherry Red), these include the same bonus tracks.

I wish someone would make the live material from the Fully Unleashed releases available, that stuff is even more expensive (always was too) and it's not on streaming either.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  13. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I'm happy with this.

[​IMG]

MoonPool, MYQ1, Platterpus and 4 others like this.
  14. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

The first album is a classic slice of early '70s American rock. You could even make a case that it was the first hard rock album by an American band -- well, maybe not the *first*, but perhaps the one that laid the groundwork for the 1970s style of heavy rock which came after.

15. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I like the s/t and second albums the best. I’ve heard them called the “American Led Zeppelin” but I can’t say I agree with that.

jlm86 and Sa likes this and like this.
  16. Sa likes this and

Sa likes this and Forum Resident

Have to agree Cactus didn't really venture into 'breakdown' nor jam territory.

Was there (general consensus on) an American Led Zeppelin ultimately? Granicus would've, could've and should've been... aside from that...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  17. pool_of_tears

I wouldn’t say it sucks, but it doesn’t bear any resemblance to the first 4 albums. It’s basically a different band.

MYQ1 and Sidewinder43 like this.
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There are many "first" hard rock albums from around that time, just to take an example associated with another fallen hero, Mountain Climbing! came out four months earlier. (James Gang were on their second album and Grand Funk were on their third, etc.) But you may have a point that Cactus sounded closer to what was to come after than many others.

I think that description comes from interviews where they've stated that was their plan or model for what the band was going to be, but things don't turn out as their planned and they became their own thing, no need to compare.

jay.dee, jlm86, Chew and 1 other person like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

How’s the sound quality on those 2-fers?

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I don't actually have them, I have the old stand alone Wounded Bird CDs and the Rhino Handmade Barely Contained (plus original US pressings on LP), I was just pointing to what is most readily available.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  21. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Yeah....I started off by typing "FIRST AMERICAN HARD ROCK ALBUM EVER!" and then I realized that the hyperbole was going to get me in trouble! Bands like the James Gang and Grand Funk definitely rocked, but they also had a certain element of blues/R&B/psych which spilled over from their '60s roots. But Cactus was one of the first bands to emphasize the straight-ahead hard rock, which I think paved the way for KISS and the rest of '70s rockers.

human riff 999 and CoachD like this.
  22. thunderagent37

thunderagent37 Active Member

23. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

All that feature the original 4 members.

24. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

25. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Van Halen was definitely listening to Cactus.

poolie, MoonPool, hi_watt and 4 others like this.