Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, thanks. No problem. :)

2. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

The OC9 is high compliance and will prefer a low mass tonearm for best results. On a Technics with medium mass arm, the 33 should do better.

3. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

wasn't the AT33 discontinued ? the v1 ?

also , i hope PB has stocked up on this cartridge because his new rips kill.

4. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The Vandenhul Condor Gold was the best cartridge I've owned .

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, granted. But, how do they compare sound-wise is my question!

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

Yes the original 33PTG was discontinued about 12-18 months ago and the Mk2 replaces it.
    Quite similar specs and the photos indicate the same body and cantilever design. plus it retains the ML tip.

From this and reports I've seen, a user of the original PTG could replace it with the Mk2 as required without worry - even the tiny lift at the very high end is the same.

Great value for us here in the uk at moment with £/$ at around 1.6 :)

7. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I was just looking for the new Mk2 on Amazon, but could only find the 33PTG and the 33EV. As I said above, I have been enjoying my 33EV for about a year now. At some point, hopefully not too soon, the stylus will wear out. I had been thinking I might try the 33PTG, which I assumed would be an upgrade. However, I found this review on Amazon:

"I upgraded to the AT-33EV from AT-33PTG and was quite astonished by the improvements in sound quality. At the special pricing this cartridge is simply unbeatable. Highly recommended!"

Is this person just confused, or what? The people I've talked to who have tried both gave the edge to the 33PTG, though they say the Microline stylus is fussier about set-up than the 33EV's elliptical.

Heckto35 likes this.
  8. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

That's funny, I found 49 listings for the AT33PTG/II.

You could always send your "EV" off to the SoundSmith for the ruby cantilever/LC stylus upgrade.

You really have to take the casual on-line reviews with a grain of salt.

jeff

9. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Oh, I thought "Mk2" was the official name. I get it now. I am strongly considering the Soundsmith option. I also hope that decision will be a ways in the future. I put about 500 hours on my EV since I got it a year ago. Very much hoping for another 500.

Gerry F. likes this.
  10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I believe he upgraded to a Dynavector 20x2l.

11. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Upgraded? Have you compared the Dynavector 20x2L with the AT33PTG/II?

12. marblesmike

HA, I wish I had that much money! I'm still on a Denon 301mk2 (which is amazing for $200). I'm just stating that the aforementioned needledropper has switched to a 20x2L if I'm not mistaken. I know he used to use the AT33PTG/II.

13. back2vinyl

No problem, I'm just being prickly and defensive about my new favourite! I've never heard the Dynavector so I've no idea what it's like but I don't much like the look of its solid aluminium cantilever and would need a lot of persuading that it will track as well as an AT.

14. marblesmike

Apparently the Dynavector is a really good tracker and sounds great. I read nothing but glowing things about it.

15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Dynavector....nope.. I have gone from an AT33PTG to a Zyx Airy3 to a Zyx 4D to a Soundsmith Sussorro Paua to an Ortofon A90 with a Denon Dl-S1 thrown in somewhere in the middle of that trail.

I then went back to the AT33PTG and have just now gone to the AT33PTG/II.

The original PTG/II's I tried all had tracking issues in the right channel, this one does not and has a different look at the stylus/cantilever point so they might have made an adjustment.

Heckto35, rxcory and Historicus like this.
  16. marblesmike

How can one tell the difference between the original PTG/II and the new ones in regards to the stylus/cantilever?

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Wow, that's quite a journey, and says a lot about the AT33/PTG that you would return to it. On another forum, a member went through at least 2 PTG's last year that all had to be returned due to defects, mainly collapsed suspensions IIRC. Sounds like AT may have hit a rough patch QC-wise. I'm happy my AT33EV has had no issues.

Based on your experience, what would you recommend for my AT33EV -- replace with a new one via AT's trade-in policy, or get a retip from Soundsmith? Cost is about the same with Soundsmith's $350 retip. I'd really like to hear your opinion on this, if you don't mind.

18. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

If you like the EV dont get it retipped, it will not sound the same

19. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Mine has a pinkish glob where the cantilever meets the stylus, of course the older ones might have had one but I do not recall seeing it

20. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Sound advice. thx

PS: Would love to hear a write-up of your impressions of that very impressive list of carts you went through.

Progmeister likes this.
  21. Historicus

Historicus Well-Known Member

I had the same reverse engineering process as vinyldoneright passing from a zyx 3R1000 airy cosmos (the makedonische one) to AT33 PTG/II. My choice was forced because a channel wire dropped from the coil of the zyx so I tried a less expensive cartridge as the AT33. The results are higher as my expectations. Now I'm waiting for burning in completely because the only lack now is the reactivity though I'm using Yamamoto sut02 as step up that has some power ... Meanwhile I want to buy the mono version of AT33. Did someone here own this monaural cartridge? I would be happy knowing their impressions.

22. Progmeister

Progmeister Member

Seems like you've found a bargain gem if it does everything the At 150 MLX does but even better for reasonable money tempted to pick one up,have you tried any other Moving Coils`s?

23. back2vinyl

No, this is the first MC I've ever tried. I'd always thought of MCs as being bright-sounding compared to MMs but having been using the AT33PTG/II for quite a while now I think that's probably just a myth, or at least a generalisation.

24. frankmarsi

frankmarsi Forum Resident

Hi RobHolt, funny to run into you here. I'm presently considering the AT 33EV/AT-33PTG or the AT-OC9II. It would plug into Denon AU-320 SUT. I own the AT-150MLX and the Denon 301II which I'm very pleased with. I'm curious of your opinion regarding the purchase of the DL-304 versus the AT-OC9II also. I really enjoy the fullness and robustness of the DL-301II, comparatively speaking the AT-150MLX almost is a little thin sounding to the DL-301II I'd be looking for a similar sound like the DL-301II in my next purchase. I fear the AT may not have that same 'punch' and fullness as I experience with my Denon DL-301II. Curious of your take here.
    Best Regards, FM

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  25. RobHolt

RobHolt Forum Resident

Hi Frank, yes small world but big pond :)

Of the three ATs listed the 33 variants are the warmer toned and the OC9 is closest in character to the 150mlx IMO.
    Tops for value and performance is the PTG for me, since I think the benefit of a micro line stylus cannot be underestimated. Super clean HF tracing and banishes IGD.

The 304 has a gentler sound and less stable tracing IME. Partly down to the high compliance and low VTF perhaps and I tend to find very light trackers more sensitive to record imperfections, or dust/dirt.

Heckto35 likes this.