Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I see there is now a 10g version of the Zupreme.

patient_ot and dbsea like this.
  2. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Oh wow, even better. I had not seen that, so thanks for the heads up.

olschl likes this.
  3. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Using band 2 on side 2, the cartridge became 'excited' at 9Hz, perhaps a bit more so just afterward, but then remained unchanged by the time 7Hz came up. So I'm not sure how accurate the HiFi News test record is, but it seems that the value is somewhere between 8 and 9. It is a little hard to tell with this cartridge because any wobbling and warbling was much less dramatic overall than I've experienced with other cartridges using this test record.

olschl likes this.
  4. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

Has anyone else noticed that the Right and Left contact pins on the AT are opposite of a Denon or Hana?

5. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Opposite of the Hana yes.
    But apart from a small detail I don't think this has any importance .

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Been meaning to try one for awhile. Probably a much better choice for most people with most common carts compared to the heavier one.

7. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

hvbias likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Same with the ART-9, once it got enough attention, got more universal distribution. Hopefully that means it won't be getting dropped soon, just about the only mid-cost moving coil with advanced cantilever and stylus now, and looks to be settling back down to around the $450 price, good to see ... now if they would just make a threaded-body version to avoid that long and heavy hardware, making it a bit easier to install and cleaner looking... below riding on my Thorens ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine is on my Ekos. What tracking force are you using, may I ask ? I’ve just tweaked mine from the 1.8g it’s been set at since installation to 2.0 and the difference is gobsmacking !

olschl likes this.
  10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I posted this elsewhere, I installed one of these on my SL1210GR, and the result are excellent. This is the best that this table has sounded for me to date. This combo sounds really fantastic.

It blows my Super OM-30, but especially my KAB Concord OM-40 (which is highly overrated IMO) out of the water.

olschl likes this.
  11. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

I find 2.0g dead on, along with a slightly tail up VTA.

olschl and HankM like this.
  12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Great, thanks. But ... what does "tail up" mean ?

13. myles

So if you imagine the tonearm totally level, if you raise the rear of the arm it is tail up, and if you lower it, it is tail down. This is only achievable if you have a tonearm like a Jelco with height adjustment, or have the ability to 'shim' the tonearm. This adjustment will set the angle (the 'A' of VTA) that the stylus meets the groove.

Heckto35 and olschl like this.
  14. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I just found this thread, i'm about to change my benz micro gold cart,and my dealer suggested AT 33EV(eliptical) and AT33 PTG.
    I have a Lenco L75 with original tonearm,and even with the best adjustments it will not be 100% perfect on the VTA,VTF,AZIMUTH Etc...that is my main worry about the micro line stylus,but still;it will be an upgrade from the eliptical and i want to hear more from my récords...my dealer says is safer to go with the EV,i really want the PTG but i'm afraid.
    Any help will be apreciated,
    Anybody has high mass arms with fine line stylus?
    does it really make a difference on the high frecuencies?
    Recommended for much-loved-wear-records?

olschl likes this.
  15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Thanks.

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

One thing though ... if you have an Ittok and not a Jelco, how then do you do it ?

17. myles

I don't know the arm but from reading up it looks like there is a grub screw on the collar which, when loosened, allows the tonearm to be moved up and down.

olschl likes this.
  18. Davey

I'm pretty sure the Lenco arm is over 20 gm effective mass, so wouldn't really be a very good match for the 20 cu compliance of the 33PTG/II. I have one on my Micro Seiki MA-505 arm with 14.5 gm effective mass, and the tonearm resonance is down in the 7-8 Hz range, which is how I derived the 20 cu @ 10 Hz estimate on the previous page. You really wouldn't want to go much lower than that with the resonant frequency. Some do use it with heavy arms and it does work, so not out of the question, but there may be better matches.

olschl, ruben lopez and patient_ot like this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Does that number for your MA-505 include the headshell? It seems like most of AT's MC carts are fairly high compliance.

20. Davey

Yes, it has the 10 gram Micro Seiki H-303 headshell ...

[​IMG]

21. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I'm on 1.8g, looks like I'll give 2.0g a listen. Thanks!

myles and culabula like this.
  22. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I am running my PTG/2 on a Sumiko Premier MMT, which is a fairly heavy arm, at 1.9 g VTF and slightly tail up. I've seen varying estimates of the effective mass of the MMT (Jelco did not publish that spec.) ranging from 16 to 20 g. I use a headshell that is much lighter than the stock Sumiko.

23. ruben lopez

Thanks for the reply,the Lenco arm is believed to be 26 gm,acording to specifications the 33PTG/II has a dynamic compliance of 10x10-6cm/dyne,
    I understand everything under 12x10-6cm/dyne is low compliance;
    the cart i'm using, the BENZ MICRO GOLD has a compliance of 15micras/mN,that's a modérate compliance.
    According to the THE VINYL ENGINE cartridge resonance evaluator,with the compliance value 10 and the cart weight 7 i get 9 Hz resonance,green zone.
    At least on paper sounds good,or are these values not very trusty?

Thanks all.

24. ruben lopez

Oh,i see the Japanes carts compliance is measured at 100 Hz,not 10Hz....if i multiply by 1.5 i get a resonance valué of 7 Hz,yellow zone.
    If i multiply by 2 i get 6Hz,not good.
    I guess it's somewhere in between,For a combined mass of 33(cart,arm,screws)The resonance valué is between 7 and 8.Not optimal at all but then again,
    i'm using a slightly less compliant cart right now 15 at 10Hz,and i don't have problems.:shrug:

Really confused:confused:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  25. Davey

Well, like I said, it measures around 20-22 cu in my experience. The multiplier to derive a 10Hz compliance is just a guesstimate, and not always very accurate, especially on some of the AT cartridges. The cartridge weight with screws is around 8.5 gm too since the screws generally need to be pretty long. As I said, it will work, others have done it, but just doesn't seem like an optimal match for the arm, there are a lot of other cartridges out there in the world that are actually designed for heavy arms. But .... the 33PTG/II is a very nice sounding cartridge available for a very attractive price, so don't let my comments dissuade you too much, I've heard some very nice sounding setups that ignored these resonance limits, and some very bad sounding ones that went strictly by the book, they are just guidelines :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Heckto35, ruben lopez and patient_ot like this.