Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I was surprised as well. I had replaced the heavier weight with the lighter plastic bit that KAB supplies thinking that'd be the one I'd need but it didn't do the trick. I did use the longer screws but you addressed that. My screwing it up is never low on the list of possibilities. With the aux. weight, the counterweight is very far forward and close to the fulcrum which I gather is desirable?

"The Way The Whole Thing Ends" leaves me breathless every time - don't know what it is about that song. "Soul Journey" gets a lot of play as well. Picked up Nashville Obsolete/Dave Rawlings Machine a while ago and am saving it as a treat.

2. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Having the counterweight close to the pivot is desirable for reducing effective mass (which is the moment of inertia), but adding the auxiliary weight at the end of the tonearm as a way to get the counterweight closer to the pivot is counterproductive since the net effect would be an increase in effective mass. Normally if you want to get the counterweight closer to the pivot, you increase the mass of the counterweight, such as wrapping it with lead tape around the center. But whatever works and sounds best, it's a complicated system and reducing it to simple physics isn't always the best way to reach the best performance :)

patient_ot and JackG like this.
  3. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Thanks very much, Davey, I'm going to re-balance it when I get a chance and see what happens.

4. Dr Jackson

Dr Jackson Surgeon of Sound

That Nagaoka really punches above its weight. I especially like the rich low and midrange of that cart, plus it'll track everything. The only issue I had was that it sacrificed detail due to the cantilever/needle design, which is to be expected in a budget cartridge. The fun part is that Nagaoka said anything up to the 500 series could plug in to the front half of that cartridge making upgrades and comparisons a breeze. Lot of love for that little cart that could. Also for the seller that packed it (from Japan) with a green tea mix and some hot cocoa mix.

Switched to a Denon DL103 HOMC and prefer the sound throughout the spectrum and the stereo separation is slightly better. I have plenty of room to move up to the AT PTGII when the urge strikes, after I replace my Budgie preamp, which I will definitely keep around.

5. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Seems to be continuing to open up, painting a vivid picture which is very compelling. I'm feeling it's a nice step up from the DL-301 Mk II. So handsome in black tie with gold accoutrement.

[​IMG]

Since the stylus is hidden I've found the vertical grooves on the front of the cart very handy, the outer of which places the stylus on the lead-in when aligned with the record edge viewed from directly above.

HankM, Heckto35, mackat and 2 others like this.
  6. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I re-balanced it today and indeed I did not need the aux. weight. I think initially I got so far back on the arm with the counterweight I just assumed I'd run out of travel and added the aux. weight. All balanced now. :)

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

lower value is less air but better bass. try 200 ohms. give the cart about 30 hours or so and it will start sounding more open and dynamic.

Heckto35 likes this.
  8. avanti1960

very nice! gotta love the AT LOMCs.

Heckto35 and JackG like this.
  9. avanti1960

excellent pic !

JackG likes this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Cool, glad it's working out so far.

I see you have it on a 1200 platform TT -- question --- what thickness mat are you using with the 1200 stock headshell to get VTA in range, just curious?

I have been meaning to try my 33ptgii on the 1200G with a stock headshell (been on the to do list for weeks) but still haven't gotten around to it. With the Zupreme 10g headshell, I have to use a 5+ mm mat to get VTA tamed.

The Denon 301 series - being higher compliance I tend to use that on lighter arms (or straight) on different platforms. For instance, the 301 Mki is a nice match on a DP-59L Denon TT, mounted on the straight arm (and not the S-arm).

I've tried the 301 and 301mkii on the 1200 platform.... although good was never overly thrilled with the combo.... definitely like the 33 series better on the 1200 platform.

The 33ptgii is a great cartridge.... the whole 33 series is. (I also own the EV and Mono in the series). In fact right now my 1200G has a 33tpgii on it as I type.

Heckto35, JackG and Hendertuckie like this.
  11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

It's a Herbie's Way Excellent and I'm pretty sure it's the 4mm. To be honest, it's been a long time and I've had the mat about as long as the table, since about 2009, but I put 4mm in my profile so I must have been sure at some point. :)

I was never dissatisfied with the 301 MKii but it wore out so tried this one and glad I did.

For some reason I had the 301 Mkii installed on my 12g Sumiko headshell. Not ideal, I realize, maybe that's why I only got about 2 years out of it?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    TheVinylAddict likes this.
  12. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

Needs a thick mat like the original 1200's one to be parallel, though a light counterweight (is this a tail?) up is not a problem. Basically, I believe one combines VTF and Vta by mat thickness or tonearm height to obtain the 90-92 angle.

13. TheVinylAddict

The act of typing my note above made me get off my butt and try the stock headshell with the AT33PTGii / 1200G - by the time you responded I already had it mounted!

But I had to get my 6.3mm mat out (an OEM Technics) to make it work though. I am wondering if your VTA / tonearm are OK with the 4mm mat? I'm not sure what version / vintage your SL-1200 is though -- on my older SL-1200's I don't recall needing a 6.3mm mat.

14. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Mine is a 1200 MkII bought from KAB in 2008. I've never had any issues getting the arm parallel with any cart with room to spare so it seems the mat is giving me some wiggle room. I'll try to find a mm ruler to confirm.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

Thanks.

Now I have a new to do list item - compare the VTA range on my 1200G against a couple of vintage 1200's I have. As I mentioned, I don't recall this level of challenge with the older ones like I am experiencing with the G.

JackG likes this.
  16. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

So I've really settled on 900 ohms, as it gives plenty of balance. And it is really starting to sound more open with this break in period!:cheers:

GreatTone and avanti1960 like this.
  17. narud

narud Forum Resident

so is the AT33PTGii only available from the japanese sellers on ebay right now? its been out of stock on the at website for a while now. its not discontinued is it?

18. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Hey all - picked up a 10x triplet loupe to get a better look at how clean my styli are and this is about as good a pic as I could capture with my 2020 iPhone SE (looks better in person).

Look like a lot of glue or something?

[​IMG]

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Davey

Yea, many of the boron cantilevers look like that, the bird beak attachment. One of the reasons you need to pay attention to what is in the liquid stylus cleaners. Yours is a much better pic than the one I took ... My new OC9/mlii diamond fell off on first use! (yet another case with AT boron cantilever!)

Below, Namiki's own picture of their boron cantilever with MicroRidge stylus ...

[​IMG]

And engineering drawing ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  20. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

That is ok, actually this geometry avoids fibers, hairs etc to wrap around the diamond, which is the case with vm540ml with a crimped diamond

Heckto35, punkmusick and JackG like this.
  21. Davey

That's true, most of the glue gets moved to the backside with a flattened and drilled cantilever ...

[​IMG]

ThePoodleBites and punkmusick like this.
  22. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Thanks!

23. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Got a lightly used and excellent condition AT33PTG/II for my KAB-modded SL 1200 from a fellow SH member and I am in audio heaven. Jumping up from a Denon DL 301 MK II, which was very good in it's own right. The PTG does everything better and I consider it a definite upgrade. Very, very happy so far.

24. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

The AT33PTGii was recommended to me for my new main cart, I haven’t heard one yet but it is clearly a well-loved cart. How does it compare it to a higher-end cart like the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES?

25. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Still using my AT33PTG/II on my LP12 w/ Ittok LVII tonearm. When its time to be replaced I'll probably just get another one. This cartridge sounds so good not sure if I want to venture out on something different and potentially more expensive.

Heckto35 and berlinerpunk like this.