Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Trying the 33SA cart at 500 ohms…I know most MC carts specify a 100ohm minimum….so, what does an increase technically do?

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Gonna sound a bit less airy on the top end and the bass will be fuller. If you go too far in that direction it will sound kinda muddy and closed in.

richbdd01 likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

That doesn't sound much like a technical description... :)

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Should have said it electronically restricts or damps the vibration of the stylus/cantilever.

5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

He meant to say there will be less tinkle on the top and the bass will sound like a giant fart

bever70 likes this.
  6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I've actually never heard a cartridge sound like that. Maybe close thou, like a Denon DL-103 loaded too low.

jeff

richbdd01 likes this.
  7. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

the bass thing must be a joke. I ordered my 10:1 SUT with a switch to a 30 kOhm IIRC resistor in parallel to secondary winding, which changes the impedance the cart sees from 470 Ohm (47 kOhm input impedance of my tube phono) to something like 170...200 Ohm. I use the 200 Ohm setting - more depth IMO. lowering the loading dampens the resonance. Google "Hagerman loading"

8. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Mine has had a total of about 14 months of use and I've just taken a couple of pics of the stylus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone care to comment on the state of the tip? I've never seen a pic of a brand new one so have nothing against which to compare.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    ruben lopez and Heckto35 like this.
  9. Davey

No way to tell without a lot more magnification, and would have to be from stylus axis to see the MicroRidge fins.

BTW, you need to link the image, not the webpage.

Soundslave and Heckto35 like this.
  10. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Thanks - will have to do it when I have natural light because I can't get the stylus axis without too much light reflecting back and making it impossible to make out.

11. Davey

Generally speaking, you need a lot of light and a high power optical microscope, and then focus on the vinyl-diamond contact patch, but you have to know what to look for. At high power, the focal length is very short.

12. Daicehawk

one needs a cheap usb microscope.
    sucks i cannot attach the pics in the post. what's the contribution price for that?

13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You have to post them on a photo hosting site then use the photo button here to post the link to your pictures.

14. Daicehawk

15. Daicehawk

kind of working microline stylus. Watch out for when the thin lip is worn out, especially at the center.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    marblesmike likes this.
  16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’ve tried the ATPTG/II, AT33SA and ART9XA over the past few weeks. The PTG is somewhat of a bargain…but I really feel it’s worth stretching to the 33SA which ramps up the detail a bit more…and for not much more money. This is probably a sweet spot in the lineup for price vs performance. The ART9XA is absolutely fantastic and a keeper for me. I feel sounds are flying out my speakers and I’m hearing things I’ve never heard before…which is a good sign and the soundstage is noticeably extended. However, its nearly double the 33SA price though and many won’t feel the need to go further than this.

GreatTone likes this.
  17. Zomax

Zomax Digging for Fire

Long time (like 15+ years?) lurker, first time poster. Inspired to finally register and post due to the number of great recent threads on the AT micro line carts, technics sl-1200g/gr/1500c, degritter, and parks audio puffin, not to mention the great music threads.

So I just mounted an AT-33PGTii with an AT-11 headshell on my new Technics SL-1500c, and am super-satisfied. I’ll try to post a detailed review, but so far my impression is incredible detail without being harsh and overall very well balanced and refined. Prior turntable was a ClearAudio Concept with Satisfy Carbon tonearm and Concept MC cart. That combo was a bit more “lively” but not always in a good way (e.g., mistracking).

marblesmike likes this.
  18. My Koetsu Blue Lace Onyx, Etsuro Urushi's Cobalt Blue and Gold, Hana Umani Red and Lyra Atlas.

19. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

Nice comparisons. I've owned the AT33sa for a little over a year and love it....best cart I've ever owned! My Sutherland pre has sufficient settings and pairs well with the cart but I've been using Partridge 977 step up transformers..adds something special. Anyway, the ART9XA is top of the list for my next cart purchase...so, glad to read your review! My dream would be to purchase the ART9XA and try a Hashimoto HM-3 SUT with the cart.

richbdd01 likes this.
  20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Curious, what gain are your running the XA at?

21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’m using it at 70db, 500ohm impedance

timzigs likes this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I can use 68dB gain max on my phono stage. Would this be enough?

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I would say that would be more or less optimal so you should be good!

24. Sandthemall

Sandthemall Well-Known Member

I have a Technics 1200G and am running a new AT33ptgII through a new Hagerman Trumpet MC. Voluptuous sound.
    I’m coming from an AT740ml and AT750sh and a Project Phono Box RS. The new combination is outstanding.
    Can’t wait to hear them after 30 or so hours. So far, so good. Bass from the AT33ptgII is amazing.

Zomax, Heckto35 and GreatTone like this.
  25. Daicehawk

Anybody having used a (super)sonic cleaner like Flux Sonic HIFI or AT-637 with fluid on the 33ptgii over at least a 6-month span? I want to get me one but knowing the stylus is glued and being concerned boron might corrode from particular mixture, I'd like get a verification it's safe.