Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I don't have that specific cart, but I've gone through several AT33EVs, which have the same compliance/weight specs as the PTG/II. I have an Audiomods arm, which uses the RB250 armtube, and it's a good match.

aakko likes this.
  2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Just bought one :)

GreatTone and avanti1960 like this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Welcome to the club. I have one installed on one of my TT's at the moment, plus one in reserve. (I got them for insanely low price, so bought a second years ago).

(assume you're talking about PTGii)

Ingenieur likes this.
  4. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Congrats. :righton:

jeff

Ingenieur likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

correct
    I've been contemplating one for a while and the right deal popped up so I jumped on it.

Using a AT33EV and VM540ML now
    Hopefully the best of both

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  6. TheVinylAddict

On another table right now (PL-70Lii) I also have the 33EV mounted. As you know, don't sleep on that one either, PTG gets all the press but the EV is a very, very good elliptical. I also have the 33 Mono! It's not so bad either. I love the price to value the 33 series brings...

One step further - my 1200G has an OC9iii on it right now, been comparing to the XML. Jury still out for me, they're different but not sure if one is "better". I own three OC9 variants at the moment.

33 vs OC9? That's a tough one...

Ingenieur likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Interesting, as I find the XML clearly better than the III, but the differences are still fairly subtle. I think the OC9/III was just $349, really good value compared to the current $599 retail price of the XML. How long have you had the XML on hand?

Posted a comparison recording of the two a while back around here, a couple of us thought the differences came through enough to favor the newer one, though a little diminished with the added digital conversions, and it was a modern album without as much audiophile merit ... links are dead in the post below, but if anyone wants to compare, let me know and I'll reup them ... I have the 33PTG/II as well, but it's not in very good condition anymore, kept meaning to trade it in on something new but waited too long and not worth nearly as much now as before ...

Audio-Technica AT-OC9XML Owners Club and Pictorial

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  8. TheVinylAddict

I've seen your XML vs OC9iii comparisons many times in a few different threads, you're much kinder here :) typically you never missed a chance to slam the 9iii as in the past you've stated the difference a little more stark! :)

I've had it a few weeks, but time is the issue these days, only had it mounted twice now for a couple day stints, I'm going back and forth between the two, my comparisons are really slow and I take a long time to settle on cart preference!

BTW, we exchanged years back, I think you got some of the same deals on Ebay from the one seller clearing AT carts out... I've stated what I got some of these for, but since nobody believes it, I stopped. Maybe you recall where the seller would slash the already low price one day, raise it the next. He must have been in need of cash... the good thing is every cart was fine and have not had an issue years later. I've only once every had to use a warranty claim on a cart in 40 years... I'm OK with getting deals.

9. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Yea, I guess, I did find the difference surprisingly bigger than I expected, and the XML was clearly the better one, but I also know how many parameters come into play during these comparisons, even when well controlled. I had all three cartridges mounted on the same Micro Seiki headshells at the time, as you can see in picture below, same alignment, and tried to be careful and fair, but we all listen for different things in these comparisons, so I do sometimes temper my opinions :)

Post Pictures of your Cartridges (MC, MI, MM, Exotic and not so much)

My XML also has the glued body now, don't know if that was in place in the comparison I linked above, have to check the recording date ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Ingenieur and TheVinylAddict like this.
  10. TheVinylAddict

At this point in my comparison, on one TT (a good one), I'm leaning more toward differences are subtle... like you said, there are so many variables between systems (and our ears) that it's no shocker different folks get different results! I've more work to do with it though, toughest part for me for a while is finding a block of time long enough to enjoy listening the XML further.

Ingenieur likes this.
  11. Ingenieur

How fragile are the Boron cantilevers?

12. TheVinylAddict

I'd be more worried about potential issues with the "bird beak" adhered mounting style of the 33PTG stylus before any cantilever issues. (a term given to the way the stylus is attached to the cantilever - maybe you're already aware). Pic shared earlier:
    [​IMG]

I had an OC9mlii "bird beak" styli fail, the thread is in the archives. That was the one warranty issue I referenced above. I've read about others.... but for the most part, not a big worry, can happen but I have others that have lasted years / many hours too... most of them.

Boron cantilevers - have quite a few, actually prefer them, never had one fail due... though they do look mighty fragile / thin, no? I've not read a lot about failures with them very often though but clearly you have to be careful, and I always am.

Ingenieur likes this.
  13. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

The tip in mine fell off after like 100 hours of play :(
    Unfortunately, AT support said that I need to contact the seller for the warranty, which is a Japanese shop on eBay...

So, now I've got the at33ptg/ii without the tip, and an at33sa, which is awesome :)

TheVinylAddict and GreatTone like this.
  14. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

did you use any cleaning solutions?

15. Ingenieur

where can I get one of these for for VTA?
    Thanks

16. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Was their issue that you bought from ebay or that the purchase was not from a US retailer? I'm considering saving a few bucks from CDJapan/Thakker but if it means I lose warranty coverage I might just buy from the US

17. TheVinylAddict

I was lucky, the one that fell off on my OC9mlii was bought from LP Gear, and was supported by AT warranty... the reason I say I was lucky, because like you I have bought a few from Japan on Ebay too, but never had an issue with those.

mirnuj_atom likes this.
  18. mirnuj_atom

I'm in Ukraine, but most likely they didn't wat to bother with EU based warranty.
    Here's the reply.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for contacting Audio-Technica.

I am sorry to hear of the problem that you have experienced with your cartridge. In this instance, we would recommend to contact your reseller for further assistance as the products were not purchased from Audio-Technica Europe. Because of this, we are unable to provide any warranty for this matter, your reseller may be able to provide further assistance regarding this issue so it would be best to get in touch with them so that you can discuss the options that they can provide to you.

I apologise that we cannot assist further on this occasion.

Kind regards,
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. mirnuj_atom

BTW, I think I'll try to contact the seller, simply out of curiosity, perhaps they could help.
    Another option is to do a 3rd party re-tipping, so the dead at33 body won't lying around, perhaps I could save some money on it.

20. TheVinylAddict

Can't hurt to try the seller.... :)

21. Ingenieur

I wonder if AT would retip it at their standard rate?

22. TheVinylAddict

I tend to do things differently on TT's than many :) - on that note VTA - my method is to immobilize the platter from spinning (a quick piece of scotch tape works), put on an old beater record (I keep one or two around for just this purpose), and use the tool in the pic below to get VTA. It's a table saw height gauge, it works well.

With that, you can easily slide it around on the record after setting height on the gauge, position the tonearm / cartridge toward the end of the record, then check the front of the tonearm, slide it over, check the back... it is incredibly accurate and I can get the tonearm *quickly* and *exactly* to where I want it. And simple. Also, no parallax effect like the transparent tools, mirrors, etc. I've tried many methods, for my use it is by far the easiest, fastest and most accurate. If you want your tonearm level / parallel to the platter, you can guarantee when you're done, it is...

Given the design of the tool, it has great "reach" and you can get all the way to the back of the tonearm with no issues, then simply reposition to check anywhere else.

Also makes it easy to readjust the height again, and check the azimuth of the headshell to the platter.... some might be surprised to find that the simple act of screwing in the headshell can actually leave it slightly skewed, it's not built to tolerances where it always ends up in the same spot. I think many don't realize this, and with line contact/ML carts, it matters to be as "orthogonal" as possible with that styli in the groove!
    [​IMG]

HiFi Guy and Ingenieur like this.
  23. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

It's some online angle gauge site/app where you load a macro photo of the cart and align from there.

Ingenieur likes this.
  24. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I picked up the AT33sa as my first intro into MC carts, it pairs fantastically with the gear I have now, I don't think I will ever try differently until they become unavailable.

mirnuj_atom and GreatTone like this.
  25. Ingenieur

AT-HS10BK or SL1200GR oem headshell?

my Cart-Align (Baerwald?)
    VOM/test lp for azimuth