Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you took a raw AT150MLX and compared it to the AT33PTG/II, the 150 would probably sound quite a bit brighter. But if you can alter the loading of the 150 - mainly by getting the capacitance down as low as possible, maybe reducing resistance from 47K to 33K - they will have a very similar EQ. The big advantage of the MC is that you don't need to fiddle around with loading. Also, it is very quiet in the groove. Other than that, a properly loaded 150 is probably just as good and will be far less expensive, not just in initial outlay but also in the fact that it has a replaceable stylus whereas the MC has to be thrown away in its entirety every 1000 hours. I'm not sure an MC phono stage need be very expensive, though.

Heckto35 and motorcitydave like this.
  2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Nonsense. Why on earth would you throw it away when you can just send it off to a "re-tipper"?

You can use a standard MM stage of your choice, along with a step-up device, either active of transformer based.

jeff

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I don't get it. If you supposedly have to do all of that for the AT150MLX, then just get a different cart. It makes life a lot easier. Personally, I like the AT150MLX as is.

4. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Because when you get it back from the retipper it sounds/tracks nothing like it used to (Have used 2 different retippers same result)

TLMusic likes this.
  5. vinylkid58

Well that's unfortunate. Could you be more specific, as this could help someone with the same cartridge.

jeff

6. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I don't follow you, more specific about what? I am not going to mention the retippers names since they have many satisified customers and my requirements are probably a bit more stringent than most listeners

7. vinylkid58

Ok, maybe it's just better that we don't know.

jeff

8. back2vinyl

Yes, you could use a re-tipper, but to me it sounds like second best and it wouldn't be the same cartridge any more. I'm guessing you won't agree!

Yes, I agree - I was simply trying to answer the guy's question which was how far the AT33PTG/II mimics the AT150MLX. The answer is, it depends on how the AT150MLX is loaded.

Heckto35 likes this.
  9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ok, cool. I understand. :)

10. vinylkid58

If this is your experience, I can't argue the point. If my favorite cartridge came back from the retipper sounding completely different, I wouldn't be very happy either. We'll see what happens when I send my PTG off to the SoundSmith for a ruby cantilever/LC stylus.

jeff

Heckto35 likes this.
  11. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I will be very interested in hearing your report. I'm considering the same thing for my AT33EV when the time comes.

12. back2vinyl

No-o-o, I'm so sorry, I said it wrong. When I said "It sounds like second best", I meant the idea sounds to me like a second-best solution - I've never actually HEARD a re-tip in my life!

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We are about the same age and I hate the treble rise. I find it very uncomfortable to listen to.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I recently replaced the OC9ML II with the AT33EV. In my view there are some downsides with the ML cartridges. Apart from the slightly exaggerated top end sparkle they do highlight certain surface imperfections including some clicks and minor vinyl fill. I first tried the 33EV on an original UK Tubular Bells which exhibited some IGD towards end of side 2 with both Dynavector 20XL and AT OC9ML II though much less with the later. This was inaudible with the At33EV.

The EV also has the benefit of extended treble with less brightness and improved mid range (vocals) and much better bass. Bass is fuller and just as extended; in fact the EV can do serious bass. This cartridge is much more musical. Also I can see the larger stylus better for queueing. I think the microline stylus's though generally low on surface noise pick up more defects from the side of the groove and possibly lower down due to their smaller profile. General surface noise is practically as low with the EV. The PTG is hard to find now (likely out of production) while the EV is now imported into UK and USA. It's still a lot cheaper to get one from Hong Kong than in the UK but of course no local warranty.

Another plus; I managed to get the EV to negotiate the sticky groove on PJ Harvey's 'Is this Desire' LP 2 out of 3 attempts.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    HiFi Guy likes this.
  15. back2vinyl

Coincidentally I was talking to Audio-Technica UK on the phone today and they surprised me by saying they expected to be introducing the AT33PTG/II to the UK by the end of his this month. (December 2013.) I think there may be a bit of a quality control problem with my A33PTG/II and they were making the point that they should soon be able to offer a replacement in the event that it should prove necessary, which it might very well not.

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

1. AT33EV vs AT33PTG/II ???
    AT33PTG/II is newer and better?

2. and AT33PTG/II vs Denon DL-301 MkII ???

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I would be tempted to buy one except the UK price is likely to be higher than 33EV and OC9. You can save £200 by importing a 33EV from a well known Hong kong seller. As for differences - I have not seen a direct comparison between 33EV and PTG but the EV 'Elliptical' is as good a tracker as the ML stylus on the OC9 and appears to be more tolerant of some pressing imperfections in my experience. If AT are prepared to honour the warranty on an imported cartridge that is full marks for customer service beyond the norm.

18. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I have never heard the DL 301 MKII. I normally use DL 304/103. The 304 would be closer in price to the PTG however they sound quite different. I would characterize the PTG as a 'modern' sound, less 'lush and romance', great stereo separation-

Heckto35 likes this.
  19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I have the 301mk2 and love it. Amazing depth of soundstage and very detailed. I'd describe it as warm but not overly so. Best tracking cart I've ever had and pretty good with surface noise. If you can find it for around $200 like I did and have a decent preamp that can handle LOMC carts then definitely consider it.

e630940 likes this.
  20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I ask because a friend (hardcore audiophile) use the DL 301 MKII, I have some of his vinyl rips and I love the sound; he recommend that becuase I dont like surface noise... he said that DL 301 MKII is great! with surface noise, and you confirm that; so yes I have in mind buy it, but I want to know if the audio-technicas here are even better, price is more high than the DL 301 MKII... but is not a problem if are better.

so Im between AT33EV vs AT33PTG/II vs DL 301 MKII :confused:

21. marblesmike

The AT carts mentioned in this thread cost at least $200 more than the cheapest you can find the 301MK2 and AT carts tend to sound a bit brighter.

If you like a warm sound, I'd go with the 301mk2. Seriously. I was blown away when I first hooked it up...before it had broken in! Seriously, check Comet supply, but call them first to make sure it is in stock because if it isn't you might be waiting a while for it to arrive.

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks! Comet supply??? is a store or something, well I see the 301mk2 in amazon and ebay under $350...

23. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

My AT33PTG/II is not bright at all, of course I know how to load it correctly and it tracks much better than the top of the line Denon DL-S1 I had

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

AT33PTG/II is newer and better than the AT33EV ?

25. marblesmike

Oh I'll be getting an AT33PTG/II at some point for sure. From what I've heard from your stuff, it sounds right up my alley.