Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Ok, thanks for the update.

jeff

2. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

What VTF are you using?
    I'm at 2G and it tracked much better for me but I still can't get through last test track on HFN test record. Not too worried about it. I'm using a Series V Audiomods.

I'll have to post some needledrops. noticing a lot of resonance when testing with the UTR and HFN test records. Not a tight band but resonance showing up through 8-12Hz IIRC. Need to dial this thing in finally! Anti-skate tests go ok on the HFN record. Wish I still had my MG1 airbearing...!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Personally I would never expect any cartridge to track the last track - I only ever go to track 3 and my PTG/II tracks that perfectly at 2g with just a modest amount of antiskate (maybe 1.25 or thereabouts). It's on an SMEIII arm at the moment but I'm about to go back to the SMEV for a change.

Doctorcilantro likes this.
  4. stevemtno

stevemtno Forum Resident

My Shure V15VxMR with Jico SAS tracks all 4 torture tracks at 1 gram with just a slight buzz on the last one. Hopefully, I'll be able to dial in the new PTG/II to do the same (at 2 grams, I'm assuming)....

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

With the microline type styli, I expect it, and get it!

Heckto35 and Lownote30 like this.
  6. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

I agree and I'm happy it can do the previous track ok. I'm still dialing everything in. I am using Lofgren alignment with Feickert protractor.

7. back2vinyl

You're braver than I am - that track's so vicious I'm afraid it'll break something!

Doctorcilantro likes this.
  8. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Are you making adjustments just for that final torture track or keeping it set as with normal play?

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ah! You guys are talking about test records. I have confidence mine would track it.

10. back2vinyl

Ah! You're talking about normal records. In that case I completely agree - the inner groove is a breeze for any MicroLine or similar.

Heckto35 and Grant like this.
  11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Thanks to this thread, I pulled the trigger on aAT33PTG/II today. Like the OP, I ordered from a Japanese seller on Ebay. I've never used a micro line cartridge before so it'll be interesting to compare it with my Shelter 501 II, which I've been using for several years. The Shelter is very musical, but it's tracking ability isn't the best. Can't wait!

12. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

Any opinions on the AT33PTG/II being a good match for the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon?

13. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

How are you liking the AT33PTGII?

Heckto35 likes this.
  14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

which turntable under $1000 is a good match for the AT33PTG/II?

15. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

That's not a match I would consider.:shake:

jeff

16. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Yes I agree that the Nagaoka MP500 is a fantastic sounding cartridge.
    It seems to me that many people buy MC cartridges because there is still this perception that MC sounds better .

In my experience if you are spending under about $1200 you can get a better sounding MM cartridge than an MC one and there is the added bonus that you can get user replacement stylus for MMs and get away with a simpler and therefore better value phono preamp.
    Even if you spend around $1200 an a LOMC you probably need to spend at least another $500 on an SUT so that is really $1700 and I suspect that a $600 MM like the MP500 plus the spare $1100 to get a better phono preamp will give you a better overall sound than the MC/SUT combination.

Try telling that to people caught up in this "upgrade" to an MC mindset though and they do not want to hear you.Like the MC cartridge thing is an itch they just have to scratch.

kenbefound likes this.
  17. Barnabas Collins

I'm thinking it's the best cartridge I've ever had the pleasure of using. I really didn't expect to enjoy the AT as much as I have but it's totally immersed me back into vinyl like I've never been before. Not that I ever really left it, but for the first time, I'm hearing inner grooves 95-100% distortion free across the board and sibilance is a thing of the past. Musically, I would say the cart is a bit more forward than what I'm used to, but not bright or fatiguing in any way. Previously, I was using a Shelter 501 MKII and while it was a very musical cart and leans toward the romantic and lush side of things, it just wasn't a good tracker. At least not on my 'table (VPI Scoutmaster). So for me to hear a cartridge outperform a high end cartridge that retails for more than twice that of the AT was quite a surprise.

The only negative I can think of is that I had a difficult time installing the AT33. I wish I had read through this thread a little more thoroughly before installing it the first time! To my horror, I found that the screws came way too far down and almost touched the surface of the record. In fact, I couldn't even use my outer ring clamp. I played around with my VTA and azimuth (and the azimuth was already dead on) and didn't quite know what to do so I read through this thread to see if anyone else had the same problem. Thankfully, someone had the idea of putting the screws in upside down. So, I did just that and had to pretty much start again from scratch. It was difficult to have the screws upside down and try to fix all the parameters because I had to think upside down and backwards as that was the only way to reach those screws on the underside of the cart. But once I got all that squared away, it sounded great. I've been listening to records almost exclusively. When the time comes, I just don't know whether it will make more sense to have the AT retipped by Soundsmith or just throw it away and buy a new one.

rxcory and rischa like this.
  18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Thanks for your comments. FYI, I could be wrong but I think retipping the cart will change the sound.

19. Barnabas Collins

That is what concerns me as well. I don't want to change anything I'm hearing right now.

20. marblesmike

Assuming the cart can be found for ~$400, I'd just get another cart. Doesn't Soundsmith charge over $300 to retip?

21. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Personally the Nagaoka is not even in the same class as the AT33PTG series, not even close, if you enjoy yours that is great but I have heard many samples of the Nagaoka and they all left me unimpressed.

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. marblesmike

Agree completely. To be fair, I only tried the much-heralded MP110 but I was so underwhelmed by it that I sold it. I was hoping it would replace my Stanton 681eee with a shibata stylus but the Stanton still stood tall after letting the MP110 break in over 20 hours.

23. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I am waiting for my AT33PTG/ii and cinemag sut.
    It will be interesting how this all works out on the Rega. I am still trying to figure out if this likes to be parallel or tail down.

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

suggestion for "match" tables with Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II ?
    Im thinking in buy a VPI... Scout maybe...

25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In my experience the physically and electrically similar 33EV, sounds best ever so slightly tail up at 2 grams VTF with my modded Rega. With VTA too low highs can kind of disappear.

Paul K likes this.