Best cassettes for recording?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jamollo, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Do not do this, assuming it's an option on your deck (I think some only allow pitch adjustment on playback, but it's been years since I fiddled with one). If your machine already runs a little faster than average - certainly possible (welcome to the wonderful world of old analog kit) - and you ever need to replace it (or just have it repaired), you may find you're unable to locate a deck with enough range in its pitch control to ever play those tapes back.

And this can be hard to test if your deck already runs at twice the speed or whatever of a standard cassette - you can't just pop the tape into a standard cassette deck to check if your multitrack recorder is naturally running a bit fast. You'd need another of these decks.

Grissongs and Nostaljack like this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

This is something I never thought of before. Sounds like a good idea.

3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I bought these...but haven't used them yet:
    [​IMG]

4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Bought these but haven't used them yet:
    [​IMG]

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

This! I've had the same experience- 4-track tapes recorded on XL-IIS (especially the 45 minute ones) in the late 80's still sound great. The better Maxell tapes always seemed to have beefier shells too with good vibration dampening materials.

6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

7. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I had a Tascam Porta One a long time ago. I got the best results with TDK SAX60s.

DRM and Grissongs like this.
  8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Right now I'm using a Fostex X-12- nothing fancy, no EQ or anything, no bells and whistles, just straight ahead 4 track recording:righton: It's the first multitrack cassette recorder I've ever owned that records at "normal" speed- I use a CR-90 and actually get 45 mins of recording time. Saves tape, which sure ain't cheap anymore. I used to pay ten bucks for a box of ten Sony 90 min tapes, now I'm paying twenty bucks for five Maxell 90's...hardly seems fair:laugh:

DRM likes this.
  9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Deleted most of the thread craps and responses. Please try to keep the thread on topic and not turn it into a format debate.

Thanks!

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Any advice on replacing belts on a Pioneer CT-10? (it's probably the most basic deck they made). Never have done this before.

11. vyteniss

vyteniss New Member

Im using Fuji ZII Type II 90min tapes on my Yamaha MT120s 4-track recorder. Very happy! Great quality and nice looking tapes. Got 10 unused for 25$.

12. harby

harby Forum Resident

Get one of the four-belt kits from one of the two third-party vendors online that list them, replace similar looking belts, and hope for the best. Service manuals for this generation don't list belt part numbers or diagrams, and the official Pioneer parts site is no help in acquiring them.

This is not a stellar deck, I've donated better to thrift stores.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  13. Chris Schoen

Yeah, it will just be fun if I can get it to work. I'm surprised this deck has no headphone jack.
    It has 2 mic inputs "Left" and "Right". 1 play/erase head, single capstan. It is very clean though.
    Good for the garage...

14. Youbecha

Youbecha New Member

I stumbled onto this thread because I also have issues. But besides that I need to acquire some blank tapes to do some audio tests, alignment etc.

Short story, a year ago I picked up a Teac X-1000R, partially for the fun of it, partially to recover some tapes I and my family made in the early 80s. FTR...media was stored in a box out in a unheated Minnesota garage for decades...some tapes were the folks originals from the '60s...some I bought at clearance from RS for $1 in the 80s. Other than physical issues (dirt, a bend or two) they sound pretty damn good (they sound better than I remember)...considering on how they were recorded.

So a few months ago I picked up a Nak RX-202, for the same reasons...as I dig out some of my tapes...all from the 80s-early 90s...I hear a huge variety in audio differences, between tape versions (all Maxell) and between the deck I used to record them (3 different ones, a JVC and two different Pioneers...the Pioneers were apparently cheap junk compared to my others).

I was playing a cassette through the Nak with Boston's first album on it...it sounded off...I set the correct bias and Dolby but it still sounded off (Maxell Epitaxial XLII CrO2). So I put on my original Boston album...it is worn dirty and noisy...it sounded better (except for obvious artifacts) than that cassette. That cassette I recorded from a CD in the early 90's because none of our vehicles had CD players back then.

So I did an A/B/C test between a FLAC rip of that same CD, the worn out vinyl, and the cassette. Through my A-60 Pioneer amp, and some old Boston Acoustics speakers.

Here are my non $1000 monster cable audiophile results...

Vinyl had great tonal quality...high was a bit rolled off...mostly due to wear/dirt I am sure...but other than that it was a nice full sound (that I actually preferred).
    The FLAC had a lot more highs...but seemed like the midrange was completely gone...not a nice full sound...more like an overly bright sound (bad mastering?)
    The Cassette (from that same CD the FLAC came from) not quite as bright at the FLAC, more highs than the vinyl, but OMG some speed and seemed like phasing issues...I can't tell you exactly what it was, but it stood out in a bad way from the other two versions.

So my issue is I need to do some more testing on that NAK to see if it it with playback issues, or the original recorder had problems.

...so I need some cassette tapes, and that is why I am here...

...I like what I read about the Maxell XLII being a good tape...

...are there any good sources to buy them, I only see a couple of choices at Amazon..?

Thanks

15. Jamollo

Jamollo Member Thread Starter

So from my experience using my machine and cassettes the best ones I found were TDK SM 60. I bought them off eBay. The only problem with them is that sometimes the tape bends slightly on repeated use causing dropouts. But I can tell you that I probably played one portion of that tape about 1000 times as I was recording with them. Perhaps a thicker tape would fix that issue such as a TDK SM 30. Second to the TDK (and if you want to buy in bulk) is National Audio company’s Super Chrome cassettes. You can get anywhere from 10 to 10000 from their website.

16. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I keep an eye on eBay and try to get TDK or Maxell type II tapes whenever I see them at $3-$4 each shipping included. Typically they are more than $5 each.

17. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

A good deck like my technics rs-bx727 with quartz lock takes care of speed fluctuations on every quarter turn of the reels, i buy my tapes from tapeline UK, dont buy from ebay you'l ust be ripping yourself off.

I mostly use sony chromes and maxell UR for type 1, even maxell UR can take hell of a lot of bias for high frequencies, theyre a fine tape.

ENDLESS LOOP CASSETTES...back in stock! - Tapeline Ltd

tapeline will make your tape any length from 10 mins to 130 minutes for very little money, they are great.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I can't wait to feed my Technics deck some FOX C-60! This should be a winner and one heck of a super Type 1.

ShallowMemory, TheVU and DRM like this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes. Very encouraging article.

TheVU likes this.
  21. Chris Schoen

Ya, I am going to archive some classic albums (great pressing/masterings) to tape. I have a case of Maxell XL-II, and want to lay down some good music for posterity. :righton:

Thesmellofvinyl and DRM like this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

23. Chris Schoen

DRM likes this.
  24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

25. Chris Schoen

DRM likes this.
Thread Status: