Best cd-r to burn music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HDOM, Aug 24, 2018.

1. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Great, but how do you choose, Tu burn at so low Velocity?

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i have found the opposite.

i usually had 2 out of 100 verbatim CDR's not burn, never had one memorex that didn't burn.

3. harby

harby Forum Resident

Individual drives have a limited number of possible burn modes for both CD and DVD media. On almost all recent optical drives, when they can burn at 40x, they can't modulate the laser power to also burn at 1x speed. The various speeds of CD-RW media are even more sensitive - they usually need to be burned at just the supported speed.

For CD-only drives, you have more choices:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As media can be designed to work best at 24x as you see above, you should have little need to slow down your drive, although the software should have some drop-down setting that lets you change speed and can detect the available options for the loaded disc.

Were I to need to burn at 1x (or recover data off a disc nothing else can read) I have some old Plextor SCSI CD-only burners.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Correct.

HDOM likes this.
  5. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

i have a usb dvdrw drive dell dw514, so i guess i can not chose, i try to find the same thing, like you did. But could not find ;

any way i really thank you for your information, at least i found out more

6. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Never had a problem with Verbatim, I burn at 16X on my computer.
    When burning at 'real time' on my Tascam CD burner I use Kodak 24K Gold Preservation CDR's. They reckon they'll last for 300 years but I'll never know.

MikeInFla and HDOM like this.
  7. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Thanks for that info. Are all CD-r suitable for burning a CD or do I need ones with specific reference to "audio" on the disc. There are not many choices available in Ireland.

8. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

In the early 2000's I was using Apogee Gold CDR's, they still work.
    Then later, Quantegy Gold CDR's, they still work.
    Then later, Verbatim, 100's of 'em.
    They still work.
    Now Kodak 24K Gold CDR' s...
    Guaranteed for 300 years... I'll tell you then.

Rick Bartlett, Grant and Reamonnt like this.
  9. harby

harby Forum Resident

If you are using a computer CD-R or DVD burner drive, than you can use any CD-R, or even CD-RW if your player will reliably play them.

However, a standalone CD recorder, which aren't as easy to work with anyway, requires "CD Music" or "Music CD" media. This is special media that contains a code letting the player know a kickback was paid to the record companies.

10. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I used to use a YAMAHA then a SONY (Stand alone) CD Recorder ... they were both pretty fussy on what blanks I could use however nowadays my TASCAM CD R900 MKII will record on anything you give it.

11. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Thanks that explains it. Im using a pc drive so it doesnt really matter what ones I pick up then.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the only problem CDR was PRINCO...I lost over a hundred CDRs...at the time they were the only CDR that would play in my Toshiba SD-3109 DVD player...too bad as many were not replaceable.

13. Michael

they are the best for me...I bought a bunch at closeout under the JVC CDR label...

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

FWIW, IMGBurn identifies the CMC Pro (Taiyo Yuden) as "Taiyo Yuden", not CMC Magnetics.

15. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I've been using RiData for years, and they've been great. White/printable (hub).

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What year is this?

About 20 years ago, Taiyo Yuden, Kodak, Maxell Pro, and Mitsui were among the best you could get. Even Verbatim and TDK were very respectable. The world has changed, and they are all gone now. CR-R turned into a commodity, the average person no longer bothers with CD-R, the format is unstable, and the products have gotten cheaper in quality again.

Hard drives, particularly SSD, is where it's at.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  17. Grant

Even Mobile Fidelity made CD-R for a time. I bought a few of them.

18. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

For sure. My main listening room is all wired up to my computer. But my car still plays CDs (no bluetooth or inputs for devices). As does my living room. And it's nice to burn and print a fancy label on a CD for things like homemade music or HD downloads where no physical product is provided.

19. Grant

I really enjoyed printing CD labels using the record labels with the text removed. I have an entire library of thousands of high quality clean record labels on my hard drive.

20. shstrang

shstrang Forum Resident

Didn’t cmc buy the formula from TY and start making them? I think at some point JVC was doing TY.
    Started burning CdRs back in 96 on my marantz burner. All of the Ricoh made discs, Kodak, ampex (made by mitsui I think), TY and tdk Japanese discs have been good. Throw away brands like prodisc, cmc, riteks were hit and mis. The only disc I’ve had go bad was a prodisc that I deliberately left in my truck to die.

21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Is Verbatim Datalife Plus still a good CD-R brand? I've seen spindles with printable blank labels, but they're all made in China, not Japan like they used to be.

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I worked with an artist one time, where we bought some studio time and made a decent mix of stuff
    we recorded in home studio's. I recommended to the artist to make sure we get the discs pressed and
    not go down the CD-R route which was on all cylinders in the early 2000's.
    I had already learned the differences between the two formats but the artist went with the CD-R option.
    Not only CD-R, they went and used Princo!!! CD-R's!!!!
    About the worst discs ever made in my experience.
    Ahhhh! Sure enough within weeks, those things started to break down and became 'scratchy' sounding
    and 'skipped' all over the place.
    All I could say was:
    :shrug: Told You

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Is anybody still making quality CD-R discs in 2019?

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Moser Baer, India made Imation not trusted. That and CMC CD-R have given me more problems than any other media has.

25. Michael

Princo! sucks...yes, I learned the hard way...

Rick Bartlett likes this.