Best Classic Records Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeffrey, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi,

What do you consider the best quality releases on Classic Records? Personally, I think the Zeppelin catalog is top-notch.

-Jeffrey

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Led Zepp :confused: :confused: :confused: Classic Records have released much better stuff!

3. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Care to share your choices Claus?

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

For example: Crosby, Stills & Nash... and most of the classical stuff.

5. Mike V

Mike V New Member

The Led Zep aren't half bad. I have my beefs with the sound on a couple titles, but the series is very good overall. Very nice quality packaging too (check out the original-style Zep 3 covers - very cool!).

Mike

6. Mike V

Mike V New Member

CSN is awesome.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis. Great Job there.

Sonny Rollins The Bridge (wow!)

Zeppelin I & IV

Hendrix Axis Bold as Love (mono) & Band Of Gypsies

Dexter Gordon (i forgot the damn title! - great LP though)

Dave Brubeck Time Out (The original, I don't have the new Quiex version)

Billie Holiday - both titles on Classic (can't speak for the repressed Distingue title on Quiex though)

Bill Evans - Montreaux on Verve.

and many more!

Those of you not buying vinyl are missing out on much of this killer stuff. Embrace it all and you win. If not, you lose. So sad, too bad!

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

To my ears, and in my system, I like:

Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Songs for Beginners, Graham Nash (a remix, but a well-done one IMO)
    Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon & Garfunkel (maybe my favorite of all these)
    Kind of Blue, Miles Davis (I have the 2-LP version)
    Recording Together for the First Time and The Great Reunion, Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington (just picked these two up, and they're sweeeeet!)
    Axis: Bold As Love (mono), Jimi Hendrix Experience
    The two Bob Dylan Live 1966 LPs
    Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin

I have Led Zeppelin II as well, and it's enjoyable, but I actually have a latter-day US Atlantic pressing I like better.

A pal brought over his Classic Belafonte At Carnegie Hall recently too, and a shootout revealed it beat both of my stereo RCA pressings. Very nice (but a bit scarce now).

8. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Thanks Claus, I love the Classic version of CS&N. My other personal favorite is Ben Webster and Harry "Sweets" Edison - Wanted To Do One Together. I have the 45 rpm verson and it's excellent.

9. Jeffrey

Hi Mike,

I agree that some are better than others, and the series as a whole is very good. Which ones do you NOT care for the sound on?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

10. Jeffrey

Hi Claus,

Since you feel that Classic Records has released much better stuff than the Zeppelin series.... please give us the name of more than ONE title.

-Jeffrey

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Most anything Blue Note has turned out fantastic. If you don't like Jazz very much, I'm sure you'll become a fan. Well worth having to babysit the 45RPM pressings.

12. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I think that the Respighi - Pines of Rome 45rpm version is a little special - I have quite a few versions of this and the Classic release is right up there - I liked it so much I bought myself a number of "safety" copies in case of mishap :) I'm also very partial to the Zeppelin and Genesis releases and the Louis Armstrong and Simon& Garfunkel BOTW 45rpmers

All the best - Andrew (still not got the hang of this Mac)

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Kind Of Blue sounds fantastic on vinyl... one of my favorite remasters on LP. The Jimi Hendrix reissues sound better than their counterparts from MCA.

14. Jeffrey

Thanks, Claus!

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I think... Dave Brubeck's Time Out was a good sounding release and Dick Schory's Bang, Baaroom & Harp is a sonic blockbuster!

16. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Hi Jeffrey,

I'd say 3 gives me some serious ear pain in the mids. Most bright midrange I've heard in a while, and boost on the top end as well. I forget the track, but it's one where Page opens the track with some acoustic guitar and ughhh! I still listen to it a lot, and one of these days I will get a good EQ to smooth this kind of stuff over. Killer packaging like I said before.

As for Houses of the Holy, that's my favorite, but 2 copies I went through had a ton of tics on No Quarter during the 1st minute. Too many to forgive easily, though aside from this I'd say this is the best sounding one aside from Zep 1. I think Scott Wheeler or Jeff Partyka (forgive me guys! I can't recall) said one of the stock reissues of HOTH was really sweet & worth seeking out.

I don't like that they EQ'd the snot out of the midrange around Plant's voice for 2, but I've grown to appreciate it more. Another one for the EQ fix... :). Apparently, the original tapes were no good to use for the Classic. Many say that the MFSL is great, but I've had so many disappointments with MFSL vinyl that I'll stick with the $30 Classic or find one of those cheaper reissues.

Mike

17. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Yeah, that's true for sure! I found one with 1S/1S stampers at a Salvation Army, mint shape, $1. Jarringly lifelike sound. Although some idiot had to write that he put Last on it, like 4 times on the sleeve & once on the label. Then write his name in 3 places. Oh well!

It's an audiophile showcase disc though - my wife cringes when I've put that on! Don't blame her a bit :laugh:. Her term is "weenie music".

She'll stick with Santana Abraxas or any one of the DCC Doors discs, so that counts as redemption in my book :love:

18. Jeffrey

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great review!!:) I agree that II & III are the low points in the series from a mastering perspective (or at least the first 7, which I have). I think the problem you had w/ HOTH may be a Quiex Vinyl thing b/c I've heard of many bad individual pressing experiences. Here's hoping (maybe dreaming) that these babies quiet down a little w/ more play.

Thanks again,
    Jeffrey

19. aashton

What are folks thoughts on the Classic version of Zeps The Song Remains the Same ? I will get it as sure as eggs is eggs - Moby Dick always amazes me - so much so that I bought the lacquer for side D off Classic :) It's a bit hit and miss for availability of Classics over here in the UK - I tend to get mine from Germany as their supply always seems to be much more efficient :)

All the best - Andrew

20. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Try Louis Armstrong Plays King Oliver! AXIS mono! First issue of Miles KOB (2lp set)!Red Rodney 1957!

21. Mike V

Mike V New Member

My pleasure!

I think my copy of Houses is one of the very first run (I preordered). It might be worth trying again, but dealing with Classic over poorly pressed LPs is like pulling teeth!! I have a couple here that are virtually unplayable, and it's my fault that I didn't go after them harder. This time I won't be so gentle (paying with CC, and denying payment if necessary!).

BTW I actually have a reissue like those described, so I'll spin that and if you're interested, I can give some feedback on it.

Mike

22. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

BTW, could you recommend any good online retailers for new HQ vinyl in Germany?

Or maybe our German friends can chime in with their recommendations too.

23. Jeffrey

Hi Mike,

I agree 100% that trying to get Classic to do you right is a real pain. The product usually far surpasses the support.

I would LOVE to hear your review on a reissue. If you would be so kind as to PM me or let me know what thread you post this review on I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I picked up 'Rough Mix' (and several other titles) during the July sale and I was pretty happy with it. It's definately a different feel than my MCA pressing (which I love) but I got into it the other night. The difference in mastering (a bit brighter and slightly more "modern" sounding) really grew on me by side 2. I think it's worth giving a spin if you're a fan of the album. 'Till the Rivers All Run Dry' sounded pretty damn good to me...

Todd

25. aashton

Hi Sergei

Sorry - my main computer went pop a couple of days ago so I am on a new machine - without my bookmarked sites so I don't have my list of suppliers - the two I do remember because I buy from them regularly are

Vienna Audiophile Records at www.audiophiles.at and
    High Fidelity at www.highfidelity.net

I am sure some of the chaps in Germany could give you many more sites.

All the best - Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.