Best Compilation CD for Lee Dorsey

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoregnr, Jan 24, 2017.

1. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

The live tracks on the upcoming Sunset Blvd set are probably those that were first released in 1987 on the Charly label:

Lee Dorsey - Am I That Easy To Forget?

The live tracks seem to have been recycled on Soul Mine: The Greatest Hits and More 1960-1978, which would suggest that they date from no later than 1978.

Fingers crossed that the Sunset Blvd set distinguishes itself from the Charly releases in terms of source quality and mastering, even if it can't compete in terms of track selection.

art and jhm like this.
  2. art

art Senior Member

Anyone hear this? If so, how does it sound?

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident Thread Starter

I've shipped in a few more things to round out my Lee Dorsey research, all three of them great sounding, the two Sundazed CD releases and tougher to find but very nice '93 Palmaccio Polygram release Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can ...And Then Some

That Collectables Golden Classics CD is still my pound for pound go to for the mono tracks. Relic Records 7013 Ya Ya has about 6 tracks I found to be unique song or edit, or better sounding version; and the Snap 235 CD Holy Cow - The Best Of Lee Dorsey has about 14 cuts that were more unique edits than anything, mono where the Sundazed or Polygram cuts are stereo and arguably better sounding; but the Snapper CD isn't really all that bad if not all that great.

I've heard a sample on Allmusic of that mono Get Out My Life Woman on the Cracking the Cosimo code compilation and it does sound fantastic; I have my eye out for one of those.

Hep Alien, d.r.cook and jhm like this.
  4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks for the summary. The liner notes for Cracking The Cosimo Code state that "Get Out Of My Life Woman" is from the master. I believe it; it's definitely the best sounding version of the mono mix I have.

bmoregnr likes this.
  5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident Thread Starter

Oh and I forgot to mention going back to review this one on Arista after getting the Sundazed CDs Lee Dorsey - Wheelin' And Dealin' - The Definitive Collection

Wheelin was also done by Bob Irwin of Sundazed and so they sound the same to me as the two Sundazed discs with I think Do-Re-Mi and Ya Ya being two tracks not on the Sundazed CDs; so all in all a nice summary of the two Sundazed if one is looking for a single CD compilation.

d.r.cook likes this.
  6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I want to vouch for the Irwin compilation too: Lee Dorsey - Wheelin' And Dealin' - The Definitive Collection

In terms of mastering, it sounds like there's a small boost around 8k. It seems more noticeable on the earliest cuts, and if you're real particular, I'd take out 2 db at 8k, but it does sound like the best sources were used and the transfer is done right. In terms of track selection, I don't think you'll find a better single CD collection. For ownership reasons, it doesn't have his '70s classics (presumably owned by UME since those records were originally released on MCA or Polydor/PolyGram), but that just means this CD does a better job of covering its given period, and there's definitely enough of the later material to fill up an equally good disc. (The various expanded reissues of Yes We Can may even suffice for some people.)

If you want to check his albums, Sundazed's Ride Your Pony is probably a great one to get: Lee Dorsey - Ride Your Pony - Get Out Of My Life Woman

Some tracks appear on this compilation, but the whole album is great and Sundazed's bonus tracks are definitely worth having.

Hep Alien likes this.