Best concert you've ever been to

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rachel, Aug 1, 2015.

1. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Deep Purple 1971

2. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Muddy Waters, James Cotton, Cleveland Agora 1978.

Muddy finished his encore, the lights came on. The crowd wouldn't leave, chanting "Muddy! Muddy!" for maybe 15-20 minutes.
    House lights go down, stage lights go up and the crowd roars. Muddy comes out with tears in his eyes, and plays just a bit longer.
    The most awesome moment I've experienced at a rock concert.

I paid only $5.50 to experience that the summer before I went to college. :edthumbs:

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Rolling Stones - Boston Garden 1972
    Led Zeppelin - same
    Tull - Thick as a Brick, and then A Passion Play tours, 1972-73
    Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic tour, 1975
    Dylan and the Band 1974, Boston Garden
    Rolling Stones, Beacon Theater, NYC 2006

Cassius, bonus, RogerB and 5 others like this.
  4. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

My first concert was KISS at the Carolina Coliseum in 2000. Front row center, amazing experience!

Ron Mexico likes this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Pedal Steel Transmission, opening for a band I've since forgotten, at the Subterranean Club, Chicago 2004.

I'll be forever thankful that circumstances put me at that venue. There by obligation and half expecting to be bored out of my mind - but instead discovering a musical treasure that few had the fortune to experience.

6. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

My 5 favorite concerts:

1) The Who .............................. Tangerine Bowl, November 1982
    2) Van Halen ........................... Lakeland Civic Center, January 1984
    3) Guns and Roses/Metallica... Tangerine Bowl, October 1992
    4) Paul McCartney .................. New Orleans Arena, October 2014
    5) Prince ................................. CenturyTel Center, June 2004

Fullbug and Prudence1964 like this.
  7. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Ronnie James Dio's Sacred Heart Tour. Amazing show that I'll never forget. Great music and amazing pyrotechnics and showmanship.

tyinkc likes this.
  8. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Darlene Love 2014

BlueTrane, frog12 and LandHorses like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The only show I've attended where I felt fear for my life. I got caught up in a wave of fans pushing towards the stage and I thought I was going to get crushed.

Do you remember the opener per chance? Seems like it was Rough Cutt maybe?

Cliff likes this.
  10. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I don't recall. But I was a teen back then and I do remember being smashed up against the retaining wall up front. Well worth it though. The spider and dragon fight were amazing!

GodShifter likes this.
  11. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Made the place seem like an intimate club. Must of been 84 or 85.

The best club show was Joe King Carrasco on February 16th 1980 at the Agora Ballroom in Houston Texas. Followed by just about any performance I've ever seen from Jason & the Scorchers.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That Springsteen show was 1984. I remember because I worked 'security' and got in free. I was placed backstage and got to see the band come down the corridor and leave. I even got to talk to Nils Lofgren for a brief minute.

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Wow, really hard to say.

Front row for the Who in 71 and Zappa at the Roxy in 73 are hard to beat, but Tull's Aqualung Tour was pretty impressive too. I wasn't as close for that one but it really blew my mind, especially starting out in the dark with My God and then the explosion of sound and light when the band came in.

Most enjoyable would probably be Yes in 74 because I got to spend some quality time with Eddie Offord and the band. They really inspired me, and I bought my first Revox the next day, changing my life forever. Most amazing might have been Captain Beefheart at the Troubadour, as I was also up very close for that one.

Out of all the shows I worked, I'd have to say Heart was the most amazing as they played so much like their albums. Mike Flicker mixed the mains and I mixed the monitors. They were so good that I felt like I was in the studio mixing their album. Monitor mixes were not so sophisticated then, and they didn't require much, so I had a lot of latitude to mix them how I wanted to on my 604e's. It was probably the most fun I've ever had mixing monitors.

It was great to have a band who was so easy to please and that was fairly typical back in those days. Soon after that many of the bands became primadonnas and seemed to want separate mixes for each member of their entourage.

14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

CSNY 2K.

Tingman and vegafleet like this.
  15. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

My answer will be slightly heretical in these parts, but the most amazing concert I can recall would be a fierce performance by The Prodigy, in NYC's Irving Plaza, on the first leg of the American tour promoting The Fat of the Land in the summer of 1997. This was a band used to festivals, raves and big sheds in UK with two great albums already under their belts, but just starting to catch fire (pun intended) in the States. When they ripped into "Breathe" the entire main floor stated jumping in time, and I literally thought the whole thing would collapse into the basement. Maxim and Keith prowled the edge of the stage throughout the show, as if selecting victims in Thunderdome, and I can't even really put the ferocity of the bass and the drum machines into words. Damn that electronic band rocked!

16. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Motortown Review - June 21, 1964
    Marvin Gaye, Martha and The Vandellas, The 4 Tops,
    Junior Walker and The All-Stars, The Contours,
    Brenda Holloway, Willie Tyler and Lester,
    Choker Campbell and his Motown Orchestra

17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

The Who - Greensboro 1980
    The Who - Atlanta 2000
    The Who - Washington DC 2007
    Van Halen - Charlotte 1984
    Bruce Springsteen - Greensboro 1981

18. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Easily my favorite(s) were the two MC5 concerts I had the pleasure of seeing at a small (think 300) joint in Baton Rouge around 1971(?). Two weeks apart. They probably managed to squeeze an extra hundred folk in there for the second concert as word had gotten out about how they had blown the roof off at the first concert. Unreal. Other gooduns,

Fleetwood Mac in Support of their S/T album circa late 75 at SMU's McFarlin auditorium (2,000)
    Elton John 1973, in support of Honky Chateau, before he became a spectacle
    Eagles opening for Procol Harum in 1972. 5 guys in jeans and tee shirts, hungry as all get out, with one hit just starting to take off. In comparison, PH was very mehhh

19. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Saw the Eagles open for Yes and Edgar Winter in August 72, at the Long Beach Arena, and yes they were very good.

DLD likes this.
  20. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin - Day on the Green, July 23, 1977 - my first concert, their 2nd to last in America forever

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk Tour 1979 - F Mac loving girlfriend dragged me to it, thank you long ago girlfriend

Neil Young with Pearl Jam backing - Golden Gate Park, San Francisco June 1995 - thanks for getting sick 3 songs into it Eddie Vedder, so Neil Young could step in for a 3 hour intense performance of all his best songs

21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The Clash - London Calling tour January 1980

22. Waspinators

Waspinators Forum Resident

1. Mike Watt & the Missingmen (2011) doing the hyphenated-man album in a small Orlando club.
    2. Paul McCartney at Sun Life Stadium in Miami (2010)
    3. The Beach Boys at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, FL on the C50 tour (2012)
    4. Fare Thee Well/Grateful Dead, final show at Soldier Field in Chicago (2015)
    5. Bootsy Collins/The Roots at Bear Creek Festival in Live Oak, FL (2013)

Honorable mention to Man or Astroman? in 2012, the Stones in 2015, Deep Purple in 2013, and Rush in 2010.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Prudence1964 likes this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Grateful Dead - SPAC, June 18, 1983
    Zappa - E.M. Loew's, Worcester, October 25, 1984
    McCartney - Fenway Park, August 6, 2009

Prudence1964 and wavethatflag like this.
  24. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Bruce Springsteen 02/19/77 - Civic Center, St. Paul, MN

Mooserfan and Jimmy B. like this.
  25. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Toots and the Maytals 1982 Cardiff Top Rank , The management had to turn the power off in order to get the band offstage.........Toots Hibbert was
    even better live than on record.