Best concert you've ever been to

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rachel, Aug 1, 2015.

1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

(Adding to what I had previously posted above):

Just saw Buddy Guy a few weeks ago.

He's 82 years-old, and it was one of the 10 Best Shows I've ever seen (and I've seen several hundred)!

This old dude is a performer... and he can still rip it on guitar!

2. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Probably Flat Duo Jets circa '93 at ASU student union in Boone, NC. Dexter was transcendent that night. Seen them many times before and after that - sometimes great, sometimes rubbish... but that night his use of feedback was otherworldly... never saw him use feedback again. The duo did the whole White Stripes thing years before Jack and blew me away viscerally unlike anybody else ever has. They never quite got that feel on tape though I do adore the debut.

steve phillips, Efus and SteveFff like this.
  3. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - Valle Hovin Stadion, Oslo, Norway - 1988.

4. Impossible to list just one.

Brian Wilson, Koningin Elizabethzaal, Antwerpen, March 11 2004 (Brian Wilson presents SMiLE)
    Joe Jackson & Todd Rundgren, Carré, Amsterdam, June 12 2005
    Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, May 14 2008
    King Crimson, TivoliVredenburg, Urecht, September 24 2015

oldsurferdude likes this.
  5. dreamletter

dreamletter Active Member

Pink Floyd Earls Court 1994

6. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Bob Dylan at The Enmore Theatre last weekend was pretty close!

But I’d have to say and equal tie between Desert Trip weekend 2, Neil Young at Big Day Out in 2009, Wilco in Melbourne 2003, Ween at Red Rocks last year and The Rolling Stones at The Enmore Theatre too.

7. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

I know OP asks 'for the best concert', that's a tough one. I'll go with my favorite small venue show:
    Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band at the Music Hall, Boston, MA. "The Darkness Tour" - May 30, 1978

This was the second night of 3 dates in Boston. The album wasn't released until early June.
    Oh my God, that was 40 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    arthurprecarious likes this.
  8. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Rain Parade at Music Machine, W. LA, 1984. Just before traveling to Japan for their tour. John Thoman is added as second guitarist. They were well oiled, transcendent, a perfect night, including debuts of Night Shade, Eyes Closed, and Don’t Feel Bad.

I looove the live album from Japan, Behind The Sunset, but imagine amping that up by 10, that’s what this night felt like.

9. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

Been to well over 1000 shows and I would have to pick any one of the 13 Springsteen Darkness shows I saw in 1978. If I had to pick one, it would be one of the shows I saw at the Palladium from the first row,

Shows in the top five include Bobfest from Madison Square Garden, Jeff Buckley at Irving Plaza in 1994, the Ramones, Runaways, and Suicide from the Palladium in January 1978, and the J. Geils band from the Palladium in 1977.

And yes, I still go to shows, I still go to 40-50 shows a year. Just went to Chicago to see Pearl Jam which is the best show I have seen this year, and will be seeing Jeff Beck, Paul Rodgers, and Ann Wilson on Sunday in West Palm Beach.

10. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I wish I had seen that tour, by I was only 12. I attended a concert on the tail end of the War Child tour, Aug. 9, 1975. Greensboro Coliseum. I saw many great concerts in the 70's, but nothing could touch that. You had to be at these early Tull concerts to really understand how great they were. Opening band was The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. A night to remember.

Aardvark23, drobo and Veggie Boy like this.
  11. steve phillips

I used to see Dex perform on the sidewalk in Chapel Hill in the 80's, before he was known. It was wild. People used to walk wide circles around him when they walked by.

YardByrd likes this.
  12. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

GOVT MULE MULE MULE MULE MULE MULE MULE MULE and HAWKWIND

13. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

Ramones in '94 @ Newport Music Hall.

DTK likes this.
  14. YardByrd

Last time I saw him was at Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill opening for Link Wray... he foolishly played Ace of Spades... Link showed him who owned the song!

steve phillips likes this.
  15. steve phillips

I forgot to add. I thought he was great! Nice fellow too. I used to sell him guitar strings in the early 90's.

YardByrd likes this.
  16. Catching 78 year old Ian Hunter demonstrates that experience does pay off.

melstapler likes this.
  17. steve phillips

Was that when Cat's Cradle was down the alley off Rosemary St, or over on Franklin?

18. snowdog66

snowdog66 Forum Resident

Two spring to mind:
    Bruce Springsteen Roundhay Park Leeds 1985
    The White Stripes Empress Ballroom Blackpool 2004

19. YardByrd

No memory... this woulda been circa '97...

20. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

Rock: The Who, Sheffield, July 1971
    Classical: Verdi's Don Carlo, Vienna State Opera, 2005
    Jazz (if you can call it that): Keith Jarrett, Los Angeles, 2012; Ornette Coleman, Los Angeles, 2007.

21. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Since future concerts are still out of the question, any more memories to share?

22. jabwylie

jabwylie Forum Resident

David Bowie Maida Vale Studios Heathen era recording for Radio 2. Genuinely 1st person to arrive , walked up to the very low stage , stood front and centre. I think from memory it was 50 fans and 50 celebs . Once the whole thing kicked off I spent the entire show inches away from the man . I loved it, however was definitely a bit star struck. Got the bootleg a few weeks later . Amazing show that topped off an amazing Bowie year, Zenith Paris , SouthBank show , another tiny gig in Paris at old theatre (can’t remember the name) .

23. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Prince - 1988, July 8 - Lovesexy Tour - Accor Arena, Paris, France. :)

24. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Van Morrison in 1999,sold out performance, i paid 3 times the ticket price to get in.....watched from the far left side....
    It changed my life.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Two:

1. Brian Wilson: Chicago Theatre; July 22, 2000

2. Allman Brothers Band: Chicago Theatre; August 20, 2013

steve phillips and oldsurferdude like this.