Best Deal Ever? T Rex 'Slider' 40th Anniversary Box For £20/$30!!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jl151080, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I know Christmas is meant to be stressful, but not like this!

Let's hope it's all sorted and you get your confirmation. And don't receive (and have to pay for) 7 Slider box sets!

jl151080 likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bob, do you have the Tanx/Zinc Alloy box? I see they have that for under £40. Is it worth picking up?

3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

My 2p - It's just about worth it. the book is great, plus you get the bonus stuff and DVD.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. jl151080

I know....that's why I don't want to place a third order, albeit using the right email address!!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

I bet you've hardly given your ELP box a thought with all this going off!

jl151080 likes this.
  6. jl151080

Too true!!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I bought it on Amazon for £36. As just mentioned it is just about worth it. Tanx is good but a definite drop in quality from The Slider. Zinc Alloy is an even bigger drop, and I am a huge fan. Given what we have seen with Slider I would be tempted to hold out for a big reduction at some point.
    Also I am not really a fan of this kind of deluxe editions combining two different album's.

mikmcmee and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I'm hovering!

I was never that fond of the ZA album, really. That's what's putting me off. Sadly, I'm a sucker of special editions and deluxe packaging. That's why I have a shelf full of McCartney Archive releases!

jl151080 likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I have the 2 disc Edsel editions of both from a few years back. As I said in a previous post, my lack of love for Zinc Alloy is what's holding me back... I don't like the 2 albums in one package idea myself. That said, these 2 albums were huge sellers in their day, so I can understand the compromise. Thanks, anyway.

10. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I've had my Slider email confirmation, so we'll see if it comes through..

Thanks very much to everybody who has posted in thos thread, especially OP jl151080

jl151080 likes this.
  11. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Just ordered one.

Edit: Confirmation email just arrived :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  12. jl151080

I have a shelf full of those too, but I'm afraid I love every Macca album!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. jl151080

You're welcome. Glad you got one.

johnnybrum likes this.
  14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

There have been quite a few of these sets given away in competitions on release, now these massively reduced, I wonder how many they actually sold full price?
    They were overpriced originally I think.

15. Bobby Morrow

It was a beautiful box, but I think they put too much in it. They alienated people like me by putting vinyl items in that I didn't want and certainly begrudged paying for. I'd have been happy with the remaster, DVD and book. That would have been enough for me.

That said, if there were only 2000 pressed, you'd have thought there would have been enough Bolan diehards to snap it up...

mikmcmee, bob60 and jl151080 like this.
  16. jl151080

There was an interesting interview with the Manager of Edsel at http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/i...ht-interview-with-edsel-label-manager-part-2/ last year, which included this:

SDE: You mentioned Marc Bolan earlier. You have recently produced the T. Rex Slider super deluxe box set, and there was a little bit of criticism over the cost of it, from fans. Do you think there is a limit to what people are prepared to pay for these expensive sets, regardless of how good the content is? Where do you draw the line and get the balance, between great content and what people are willing to pay?
    VJ:
    I don’t know, it’s difficult to say. Again it’s a case-by-case thing really, the nature of the act, how long they’ve been around, how under or over exploited it’s been, the age of the likely customer base for it. I’m amazed by the prices of some things I’ve seen online – some things I’ve seen in the fancy boxes are way too overpriced. That Elvis Costello spinning wheel thing [Spectacular Spinning Songbook Super Deluxe Edition at £200], even he thought the price was stupid. Ours [The Slider] was based on a financial model, it cost that much to do, we sell it to Amazon for this much, and then they sell it on. Amazon’s mark-up is entirely up to them – it’s got nothing to do with us. Within its lifetime when it was first put up there, its price veered wildly within a £30 band, over which we have plainly no control.

SDE: So you’re saying when they had it on Amazon for £120, they were being a bit greedy with their mark-up?
    VJ:
    Yes. It started at £130 I think, and at one time it was £110, but the price they paid us has never changed, which I suspect people don’t realise.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Then again, I suppose in relation to the McCartney Archive deluxe editions, specifically At The Speed Of Sound, which although beautiful doesn't have that much audio/visual content, The Slider isn't badly priced really.

18. Bobby Morrow

Didn't mean to quote myself in the above, BTW. I caught it by mistake and couldn't get rid of it!

19. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Yes! I'm in.
    Thanks for the heads up. :)

jl151080 likes this.
  20. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Think I've now got one of these on order. Not terribly sure of how much I need/want it though. I'd probably buy a lot more of these ridiculous box sets with rosettes and sew on patches and other assorted tat if they didn't normally cost any more than £23 plus p+p, though.

21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I am the same as you, I do not really want the vinyl . I much preferred the Electric Warrior box set.

greelywinger and jl151080 like this.
  22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I read that interview with Superdeluxeedition. It was great until the guy suggested that fans like myself who did not want the vinyl could buy it anyway for £120 and just give away the vinyl. And they wonder why people no longer buy music.

mikmcmee, Bobby Morrow and johnnybrum like this.
  23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Does having this Slider set relegate the older 2CD Edsel/Rhino version redundant bonus track-wise?

24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I love those Edsel 2 CD editions and will never get rid of mine.

noname74 likes this.
  25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So there is little to no overlap on the bonus material between the two sets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.