Best digital audio player for hi-fi stack.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SFtheGreat, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFtheGreat

SFtheGreat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello.

I'm completely green, as I've always been using physicla media up to CD, so no DVD-A, no SACD, no BD-A.
    But I'm considering getting a digital audio player to hook up to my AV receiver.

What would you recommend?
    Prefferably the best ever obviously, with hi-res support and with removable SSD to store TBs of audio. 4TB SSD are now cheap as a beat-up, so why not, I can always unmount it, plug to PC and transffer more stuff.

2. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Any old PC connected to a reasonable DAC and running JRiver will do the trick.

Razakoz, rcsrich, gd0 and 2 others like this.
  3. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

Yep.....as Claude states. I run a 2011 Mac Mini (the one with the better sound card so it will do 24/192) into my AV Receiver via HDMI as I like 5.1/quad mixes etc...I don't have SSD's for storage yet, but you really don't need that kind of speed for audio streaming. I use 8TB WD drives x 4 for storage and backup. I use mostly JR River and occasionally VLC or Audirvanna.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

For the price of a 4TB SSD, you could easily set up a redundant 8TB NAS. I set one up last year with a 3rd HDD as an actual backup physical disk for the current price of a 4TB SSD. The NAS is set up as a cloud server. So, I can access the files both local and though the internet.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Or Foobar.

Claude Benshaul likes this.
  6. SFtheGreat

OK, thank you for the insight, but I'm looking for a dedicated hi-fi set-up component.
    Beside, my laptop, as all laptops has static noise from headphones jack, no line out.
    The problem with HDMI is that I have a DisplayPort and I use it for second monitor.
    It doesn't have optical through headphone jack.
    And worst of all it's in a different room.

I was incorrectly talking about 4TB SSD, which are expensive, the 2TB ones are cheap. Above the 2TB mark the priceper TB increases dramatically.

Also, no macs.

7. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

My advise was to re-commission an old computer and the DAC is supposed to connect to one of its USB. But if you really want a one in all solution I think either the Bluesound Node 2i or Vault 2i will do nicely.

8. SFtheGreat

I don't trust USB. I'd rather have a rack-size player with SATA slot for SSD, so as to completely eliminate the computer from the music playing equation. And I meant 4TB SSDs, they cost ~400€.

I'll check geatslutz if they have topic on pro equipment.

9. olson

olson Forum Resident

A rack sized digital audio player is actually a computer in a rack sized box, so you are not going to eliminate the computer from your music playing equation.

10. SFtheGreat

I am aware that technically it's an oversized DAP, but that's exactly what i need, not a PC, I need something like HyperDeck Studio but for audio with native support of various formats.

11. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

olson likes this.
  12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Have a look at Cocktailaudio products (maybe N15 or X14 depending on what you need exactly...) : NOVATRON

13. SFtheGreat

No USB, no computers, no network.
    A require a device that basically is a Hyperdeck studio, but for playing music files from SSD in a standard 19" form factor.

14. bever70

With the N15 I mentioned above, you just slide in an ssd. With the x14 you connect an external (ssd) drive. They are not 19" though. The X45 or X50 (you need an external dac) are, but they are also more expensive.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  15. SFtheGreat

Thanks I will check them.

16. bever70

No need to unmount the ssd with these for adding new stuff. Put the new stuff on a usb stick (on your pc), and put the usb stick into the X50 (or whatever model) to import the new music onto the internal ssd. Another option is to do this through wifi from your pc to the Cocktailaudio as it will show up on your pc as a network device, so you can simply copy/paste new music onto the ssd drive.
    Another, big bucks, option is Aurender - The Future of Sound |

17. bever70

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.