Best DVD-A 5.1 Demo Disc/Track

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Sailor's Tale from Islands.

2. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Canned Heat - On The Road Again - Silverline
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Billie Jo spears - Blanket On The Ground - Silverline
    The Beach Boys - God Only Knows (2 sided DVD-A)
    Anne Murray - I'm Going To Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter (dualdisc DVD-A)
    Ronnie Lane & Pete Townshend - Misunderstood (dualdisc DVD-A)

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I think I read about the bad titles and made a assumption about the label based in it. Thanks for the correction

4. fozl1986

fozl1986 Forum Resident

"The working Hour" by Tears for Fears on the "Songs from the big chair" super deluxe edition

audiomixer likes this.
  5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

All Talking Heads are done right, and pretty much all Steven Wilson's mixes are demo quality.
    More good stuff on Blu-ray audio and SACDs.

6. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

All the Elton John SACD's I thought were well done by Greg Penny.
    Bryan Ferry "Boy's and Girls" also very good.

7. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

"YYZ" by Rush from Moving Pictures.

Jack_Straw likes this.
  8. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Moving Pictures is a good one. ‘The Camera Eye’ was stunning the first time I heard it on the Blu-Ray.

+1 on the ’Love’, TFF, Flaming Lips, Talking Heads (especially Remain in Light, Speaking in Tongues, Naked) recommendations.

I would add Fleetwood Mac ‘Rumours’, any Bjork from the box set, any of the Police tracks from ‘Ghost In The Machine’ or ‘Synchronicity’. The Beatles, FM, and Police are good demo choices because everyone knows those tracks.

dbsea likes this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, the DVD-Audio of Rumours is really, really good. They also tweaked the order of the songs, which I found interesting, and threw "Silver Springs" into the middle of the record, perfectly placed after "Go Your Own Way" as kind of an attack and rebuttal. It's unfortunate that the limitations of the LP format kept "Silver Springs" off of Rumours in the first place - having it there as a response to "Go Your Own Way" emotionally supercharges the record. And it might benefit the most from the multichannel treatment too - the 5.1 mix really opens it up.

Dennis Metz and fredblue like this.
  10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The thread asks for DVD-A recommendations...and people go ahead and recommend Blu Ray audio. :yawn:

11. Wayne Davis

Wayne Davis Forum Resident

"Indoor Games" from Lizard is a favorite of mine.

12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

If you mean the Rush recommendation, it also has a dvd-audio release. I don't see any others. Why all the hate?

supermd and impalaboy like this.
  13. Hymie the Robot

The new quadraphonic release of King Crimson Summit Studios live on Earthbound, although it is a standard DVD with DTS 24.96, sounds excellent. XTC Drums and Wires is one of my favorites.

14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Ziggy Stardust-Moonage Daydream in particular
    Billion $ Babies-Some hidden vocals from the stereo can be heared
    Relayer-Steven Wilson's best multichannel mix I've heard.
    Brain Salad Surgery-The Rhino DVD-A version is stunning
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

thgord likes this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The Tears for Fears was Blu Ray, somebody else suggested "and other Blu Rays," while somebody else mentioned SACD's. Not seeing seeing how pointing it out, when the topic was rather clear, qualifies as "hate," but whatever.

16. Hymie the Robot

That Tears for Fears is indeed Blu-ray only...not one of my favorites but looking forward to Seeds of Love which will most likely be Blu-ray, no Dvd-audio.

17. fozl1986

fozl1986 Forum Resident

"The hurting" is Blu ray, but only Stereo. "Songs for the big chair" is DVD-Audio with Stereo and 5.1....

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  18. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

My #1 is the DVDA of "Recordings" by Porcupine Tree. Stunning surround and overall SQ. "Fear of a Blank Planet" by PT not far behind. Big PT and SW fan here. The Doors LA Woman, particularly "Riders on the Storm" from the Perception DVDA Box set is up there as well. I vote for the DVDA of "Love" and Gaucho as well.

The new "Three Piece Suite" by Gentle Giant Blu Ray is fantastic. Also a Steve Wilson mix. The drums do a couple of 360s in the solo during "Why Not?" The other GG discs are great too - but again are Blu Ray.

Thanks for the tip on the Inside the Music series, Just ordered New Wave, Classic Crooners, Classic Jazz and Surfs Up from the series. All pretty cheap too!

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, the Inside The Music disc are all surprisingly cheap. They're certainly worth a listen - if you don't like 'em, you can always resell 'em...

Blimpboy likes this.
  20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

There's a DVD audio of Recordings? Man, I'll have to track that down, even if just to rip the hi Res 2 channel files to flac. Recordings on vinyl is one of my prized possessions. Possibly my favorite PT album, and I love them all

21. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Dang - I meant "Stupid Dream!" Sorry. I get mixed up because Even Less and Buying New Soul are on both. "Recordings" is one of my faves as well.

SirMarc likes this.
  22. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I have the Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun DVD audios and they're both stellar. I was wondering how I missed the DVD A of Recordings lol

23. b.smith

b.smith Forum Resident

IIRC "Riders on the Storm" from Perception was quite front centric except for the storm sounds. I prefered the mix from the quad on the Singles box. I will have to have another listen.

24. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Remain in the light is great (UK is where you get dvd-a, In america it was dual discs)

The Revealer likes this.
  25. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

[Edit] Correction it’s “Nothing at All” on the Three Piece Suite set that has the 360 drum solo not “Why Not?” That’s two mistakes today! Ha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.