Best DVD-A 5.1 Demo Disc/Track

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fast'n'bulbous, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I think that one is great too. Especially Dreams and Never Going Back Again (which I believe had a bit added to it). The Chain is pretty good too. Been a while since I listened to this, I should break it out.

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I hear you on the vocals. I think they grew on me, but the surround mix is just ... luxurious. It's like therapy for me. -E

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The vocals don't stay front focused on some tracks which isn't a big deal for me. Everything else is perfect...

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  4. Ninecats

Ninecats Forum Resident

Everytime I have placed a friend in sweet spot and put on the title track of Toy Matinee in 5.1 on high volume the reaction is always very joyful.

Dillydipper, Juggsnelson and longaway like this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If you can do SACD, In a Silent Way

formu_la likes this.
  6. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

Maybe because it was my first 5.1 acquisition, but I’ve always been impressed with Pink Floyd’s DSOTM SACD.

pinkrudy and Dennis Metz like this.
  7. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

You started with two of the best artists: I'd say that “Larks’ Tongues” and “Minstrel In The Gallery” would be two obvious demo tracks for spatialisation. Kraftwerk 3D (on Blu-Ray) is my demo disc for an immersive soundfield. Then maybe Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge for instrumental detail.

Hymie the Robot and Ninecats like this.
  8. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I've always been a fan of ELP Brain Salad Surgery. Tge mix provides a great use if surrounded sound.

Ref98 likes this.
  9. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

A couple of others that I don't believe have been mentioned yet.

Lyle Lovett: Joshual Judges Ruth (DTS 5.1)
    Pink Floyd: The Division Bell (DTS 5.1)
    George Benson: Songs and Stories (DTS 5.1)
    Emmylou Harris: Producer's Cuts (DVDA 5.1)

oneslip17 and Bill Mac like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My great surround suggestions for SACD would include Indigo Girls' Become You, and either of the first two Nickel Creek titles...both produced by Alison Krauss.

11. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I would add Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" SACD from 2003. In fact that series of SACDs are worth getting. I have the self titled album, Madman, Tumbleweed, Honky Chateau and Yellow Brick. All are stellar in my view. Stereo RB layers are good too.

formu_la and SirMarc like this.
  12. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

It is an outstanding version for sure boss just glorious not sure that’s Gladys though always thought it was the staple singers.
    Although not DVD-A one of favs is Van the mans Moondance Blu-ray ES mix is
    Fantabulous...

13. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Captain Fantastic is my favourite! :love:

duneman, Digital-G and Juggsnelson like this.
  14. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

You are right, Staple singers it is.... getting old my mind isn't what it used to be lol

15. dee

dee Senior Member

Do you think the 70's mix to quad of Wired worth picking up on LP if I only have a stereo setup?

16. fredblue

yes, you can certainly still enjoy the SQ Quad LP in Stereo no problem and the mix differences will be apparent without decoding it into Quad. this applies to all Quad LPs, including all the Jeff Beck Quads (5 albums in all).

Bill Mac and dee like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

Thank You for your reply and information. Wired is a favorite record of course and I have a stock mid70's pressing.
    A different listening experience of this album on LP sounds interesting. I didn't know how Quad LPs worked.
    I do enjoy some dvd-a, blu, sacd, surround to stereo 'fold downs' though. So thanks for the info on Quad LPs and Wired.

fredblue likes this.
  18. fredblue

you're welcome! that's just what the Quad LPs will be like in Stereo, similar to folded down MultiCh SACDs, DVD-Audio, etc.

there are some small caveats/things that may affect the odd folded down Quad LP from time to time, due to differences in how each of the competing Quad vinyl systems of the time worked.

CBS' SQ system LPs (any Quads on Epic, Columbia, Philadelphia International, T-Neck, Windfall, Masterworks.. EMI, Stax) may have a wider Stereo image (almost too wide on occasion) and sometimes elements will appear to be coming from the sides/behind you even in 2-channel because of the embedded phase info. but many times SQ Quad sounds excellent in Stereo, with many examples of the most marked mix differences.

some QS-encoded LPs (the Sansui system; Joe Walsh, Steely Dan, B.B. King) may have a narrower Stereo image when played back in Stereo but should otherwise be widely compatible.

CD-4/Quadradiscs (WEA, RCA; Doobies, James Taylor, Nilsson) tended to be noisier pressings and had high frequency cutoff by virtue of how that system separated out the channel info when demodulated but in all other regards should be fine for fold downs.

dee likes this.
  19. dee

dee Senior Member

Aces! Good Stuff!

20. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The DVD-A of Metallica ( The Black Album) is very good. A real window rattler.

jeffreybh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.