Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Best DVD player

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kevinsinnott, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Buying an extra. That's a good idea. On the other hand, it looks like Panasonic are going to keep making the 820 for a while, but we'll see.

My only saving grace in having a used Oppo 83 and the 820 is that I don't have much time to watch TV during the week, so during the weekend is when I will put wear and tear on either of my machines. That should prolong the life of both, and the Oppo will only get used when I'm in the mood for watching old TV shows...if the Oppo 83 pans out like I want it to.

TMRY likes this.
  2. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

That's good to hear about the 820 being around for awhile. I did plan to wait until they weren't going to make them anymore. The 820 is also a semi region free blu-ray player, don't know if it's the same for dvds though. I watch a blu-ray or dvd
    almost everyday and more on the weekends. I'd be lost without a decent player.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I bought the Panasonic DP-UB820-K, it’s pricier, but I wanted analog outs. It does a fantastic job upscaling DVDs. I recently watched a Ford vs. Ferrai DVD, and it looked like Blu-ray quality.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  4. I'm going to have to try some newer DVDs evidently, because everything I've seen on DVD via my UB820 still looks like booty.

In fact, I've asked around on the AVS forum if my settings on the player are correct. This is what lead me to purchase the Oppo 83 for proper deinterlacing; otherwise, as beautiful as the 820 is for BDs and UHD, the story goes that Panasonic did the bare minimum for DVD deinterlacing algorithms for their player.