Best DVD version of Nosferatu (1922)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sbroache, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know the best version of Nosferatu (the silent 1922 version) on DVD?

There are so many versions of this film from super cheap to fairly expensive. The Keno version states it is the authorized version while I have read a good review for the Image version.

Thanks!

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I'd stick with Kino or Image. They both do good things with the silents. I own the Kino and the image quality is quite nice. If there's anything I dislike about silent movies on DVD, it's the music they sometimes choose to put with the film. Sometimes the music seems arbitrary, at best, and other times, down right irritating.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I like the video quality of the Kino the best, and it represents IMHO, a more definitive presentation of the film (the 1995 "Bologna" restoration). On the Image disc I have seen, the degraining in the video domain is a bit excessive at the expense of fine detail. The Image disc is representative of probably the most frequently seen cut of the film and has some nice extras.

It's worth owning both as between them, they represent two different cuts of the film and have four unique scores.

Regards,

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I like the Kino better than the Image version also. I'm still amazed at how much better it is than all the old VHS versions we used to have to watch. If you can, the Kino "German Horror" box is the way to go. Just watched The Golem a few nights ago. Great!!

5. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I own the Kino and another version... I will report back on which one it is. The Kino, by far, is a lot better.

It may be the "Image" one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.